Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #2701
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Who's God are you thanking now? Im offended!
I'm a Kipprusafarian.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #2702
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real question about Chabot is should I pick him up in my fantasy keeper league?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 09-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #2703
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll start a firestorm and say that I would trade TJ Brodie straight up for Matt Duchene right now now. Why? Glad you asked.

First of all, look at the big star player deals in recent memory. Weber for Subban. Hall for Larsson. Johanson for Jones. They are one for one deals. No prospects, no 1st round picks, nothing. When you trade established star players with term, you get back one player of equal or lesser value.

For all the talk of building a defense to compete with Connor McDavid, we might consider looking at this from another angle. Johnny and Sean combine to make $7.9M less than McDavid and Draisaitl. The contracts of our star players allow us to afford an extra star player plus something else.

Further to this point, if we're building to beat the Oilers, our forwards are going against a top 3 of Larsson, Klefbom and Russell? Nurse? Sekara?

Johnny, Monahan, Duchene
3M
Ferland-Bennett-Versteeg
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
Lazar/whoever

Gio-Dougie
Hamonic-Stone
Kulak-Bartkowski

Now I know that defense doesn't inspire as much love as it would with a 24/7 pairing, but look at who wins the Stanley Cup.

Chicago: Keith plays have the game, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson battle, Oduya is a decent puck mover on the 2nd pair, and the 3rd pair plays ten minutes. Michael Roszival, Kimmo Timmonen, and Trevor van Riemsdyk are the calibre of player we're talking about here.

LA: Doughty is head and shoulders the best D on the team during the Kings first run. Then you've got Voynov *no slouch*, Martinez, Willie Big Stick, Rob Scuderi, and Matt Greene. Guys who get the job done, but who have never come close to 40 points and never will. And that's fine. The next time around, they added a noobish Jake Muzzin and a last legs Regehr.

Pittsburgh has always won with a group of Letang and friends - last year they won with 'And Friends'.

Calgary has that Norris calibre player in Gio. When he starts his decline (which may or may not happen, defensemen age differently) we have Dougie.

The goaltending still remains the biggest question mark, but the forward depth of this team with Matt Duchene is an awfully tempting gamble to make.

The only reason I'd be reticent is this: Duchene is up in 2 years - same as Bennett and Tkachuk. The year after that, Frolik, Brouwer, Stone, and Hamonic all come off the books. The timing sucks, because I don't see how you retain Duchene in that scenario.

Flame away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #2704
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Gio-Dougie
Hamonic-Stone
Kulak-Bartkowski
No.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #2705
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
No.
Whoever. The bottom pairing could be anyone, they just need to be able to scrap and claw their way through 12 minutes a night.

So not Kulak/Bartkowski. But people.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #2706
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting point of view. I agree that the cost for Duchene is likely comparable to Brodie.

However, after watching Kulak and Bartowski play together I doubt that the Flames management is comfortable with that bottom pairing. Also, the Flames are not quite in win now mode. Next year would be a more convenient year to move defensive prospects into player positions or to other teams.

For now I am happy for the Flames to stay pat. I don't think that scoring is such a large concern and the Flames wont make this move just cause they can .
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #2707
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you build from the goal out (goal>defense>centers>wingers).
In my opinion, sacrificing one of the most solid top 4 defensemen in favor of a winger makes no sense.
Duchene is a guy you go for if you can have the right combo of picks/prospects, not a guy you give up a core piece of your team to get. I don't see us as having the right assets to let go at this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #2708
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bonus points for suggesting a trade that is more realistic in acquisition cost...

but I see no way Treliving spent that much time and cost putting together that blue-line only to dismantle it before the season.

I wouldn't do it, and don't think it's very plausible as far as actually happening goes... but the value is much closer than some of the ridiculous proposals earlier in the thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #2709
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'll start a firestorm and say that I would trade TJ Brodie straight up for Matt Duchene right now now. Why? Glad you asked.

First of all, look at the big star player deals in recent memory. Weber for Subban. Hall for Larsson. Johanson for Jones. They are one for one deals. No prospects, no 1st round picks, nothing. When you trade established star players with term, you get back one player of equal or lesser value.

For all the talk of building a defense to compete with Connor McDavid, we might consider looking at this from another angle. Johnny and Sean combine to make $7.9M less than McDavid and Draisaitl. The contracts of our star players allow us to afford an extra star player plus something else.

Further to this point, if we're building to beat the Oilers, our forwards are going against a top 3 of Larsson, Klefbom and Russell? Nurse? Sekara?

Johnny, Monahan, Duchene
3M
Ferland-Bennett-Versteeg
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
Lazar/whoever

Gio-Dougie
Hamonic-Stone
Kulak-Bartkowski

Now I know that defense doesn't inspire as much love as it would with a 24/7 pairing, but look at who wins the Stanley Cup.

Chicago: Keith plays have the game, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson battle, Oduya is a decent puck mover on the 2nd pair, and the 3rd pair plays ten minutes. Michael Roszival, Kimmo Timmonen, and Trevor van Riemsdyk are the calibre of player we're talking about here.

LA: Doughty is head and shoulders the best D on the team during the Kings first run. Then you've got Voynov *no slouch*, Martinez, Willie Big Stick, Rob Scuderi, and Matt Greene. Guys who get the job done, but who have never come close to 40 points and never will. And that's fine. The next time around, they added a noobish Jake Muzzin and a last legs Regehr.

Pittsburgh has always won with a group of Letang and friends - last year they won with 'And Friends'.

Calgary has that Norris calibre player in Gio. When he starts his decline (which may or may not happen, defensemen age differently) we have Dougie.

The goaltending still remains the biggest question mark, but the forward depth of this team with Matt Duchene is an awfully tempting gamble to make.

The only reason I'd be reticent is this: Duchene is up in 2 years - same as Bennett and Tkachuk. The year after that, Frolik, Brouwer, Stone, and Hamonic all come off the books. The timing sucks, because I don't see how you retain Duchene in that scenario.

Flame away.
I'd personally like to see the Hamonic and Brodie project play out before tearing it apart.

And given the value of mobile top pairing defencemen, I'd be more inclined to deal Brodie for a TOP flight forward which I don't view Duchene as.

I also don't see Colorado making the deal, as getting an in his prime Brodie doesn't help their future much. Need to be a younger asset IMO
Old 09-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #2710
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny, Monahan, Duchene
3M
Ferland-Bennett-Versteeg
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
Lazar/whoever

Gio-Dougie
Hamonic-Stone
Kulak-Bartkowski

Flame away.
Bennett still getting the left overs huh
Old 09-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #2711
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Duchene wouldn't be played at centre here IMO. Therefore he's a winger which is the least important position in hockey. He isn't on a sweetheart deal and he's only signed for 2 years and will be looking for more. Personally I don't think he's a more important piece than Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau or Backlund.

Brodie meanwhile plays the more important position. Brodie is on a sweetheart deal.

No chance I'd do a Brodie for Duchene deal. Rather sign a Jagr for a winger spot for free. Or acquire a winger at the deadline for a prospect if it proves to be a need over the course of the year.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 09-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #2712
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I'd personally like to see the Hamonic and Brodie project play out before tearing it apart.

And given the value of mobile top pairing defencemen, I'd be more inclined to deal Brodie for a TOP flight forward which I don't view Duchene as.

I also don't see Colorado making the deal, as getting an in his prime Brodie doesn't help their future much. Need to be a younger asset IMO
They're not going to get a younger asset though - star players who are in their mid-20s don't get these packages. Unless you're a veteran on an expiring deal, you're not returning a 1st round+ - you're getting something of similar value.

Brodie is under contract for three more years, and he's 25, 26? All of a sudden, the Avs top 3 is Brodie, Erik Johnson, and Zadorov/Barrie. That's not bad. MacKinnon as the #1C. And as much as we'd like to hold out on moving Brodie, a Duchene/Hall calibre player is about what he's going to return. At least with Duchene, you get a player who was selected to the last two teams Hockey Canada sent to tournament competition.

Duchene has been in the league eight years - he has five 50+ point seasons, playing on some dog#### Avs teams. He's well over 50% on faceoffs, last year he was over 60%.

Duchene would, production wise, be a Sean Monahan level centre man. He would likely cost you Backlund at the end of the year, but I think you live with that and let Bennett/Janko sort out the bottom two lines.

I don't think this happens, and I agree that Treliving didn't spend all this money and time setting up the blue line to trade Brodie on the eve of the season. I just think, value wise, that's all I'm prepared to give up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #2713
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The problem with Duchene, and others have mentioned, is the two year term. You can't tie him down long term yet and it could essentially be a long rental; a lot can happen in a year. Most teams who you'd think Duchene could push over the edge may actually be worse off if they traded a decent second pairing guy (and picks), or don't have the assets sakic wants.

I'll be very surprised if he gets a better offer than Hamonic and a 1st.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #2714
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny, Monahan, Duchene
3M
Ferland-Bennett-Versteeg
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer
Lazar/whoever

Gio-Dougie
Hamonic-Stone
Kulak-Bartkowski

Flame away.
I respect the effort put into this proposal.

I don't agree, but there is rationale there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #2715
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

NVM not the time for humour.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 09-21-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #2716
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I respect the effort put into this proposal.

I don't agree, but there is rationale there.
That's all I can ask
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #2717
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene would be not quite enough value for Brodie for me.

MacKinnon would be closer straight up, though his value would be higher but mostly due to hype value more than actual hockey performance value.

Just like Hall-Larsson, Larsson was comfortably the better hockey player at the time and Chia cashed in on the 1st overall hype and overinflated reputation that Hall had.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #2718
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

FWIW

Adrian Dater‏Verified account @adater
Scouts from Canucks, Canadiens, Ducks (two scouts), Blues, Flames, Devils and Sabres on hand for Avs, with Duchene in lineup
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #2719
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
FWIW

Adrian Dater‏Verified account @adater
Scouts from Canucks, Canadiens, Ducks (two scouts), Blues, Flames, Devils and Sabres on hand for Avs, with Duchene in lineup
Pffft, we're not after Duchene, it's Colborne we want....
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #2720
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Duchene would be a huge add. I can't imagine a package the Flames would be willing to offer that would also work for Colorado though.

Flames would likely only be in a position to offer some prospects and picks, and "throw-in" level NHL players. But I don't see Colorado being interested.
Closed Thread