Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2021, 10:52 PM   #41
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Remember that year, the Flames crushed the Avs and Mackinnon had a hissy fit on the bench and we all felt so confident?
I do. If I recall Bednar or one the assistants pulled him back and he slid off the back of the bench.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:55 PM   #42
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it wasn't for Binnington that would have been 8-1
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #43
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am so angry at the Flames right now. They could have been watching these playoff games and been absolutely jacked for the final two against VAN to punch their ticket to the party.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #44
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

At the start of the series, analytics guys Moneypuck and Dom from the Athletic had Colorado winning the series 85%+ of the time. Unheard of for hockey.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:21 PM   #45
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Yep. Colorado used Calgary as a stepping stone.
Not to dissimilar to Chicago back when they used the aging Iginla led Flames as a stepping stone.

Only difference this time is it should have went a different way, but they overreacted to the loss and though that losing to the more skilled and faster Avs meant we needed to be tougher and play more defensive.

That was the mistake.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:23 PM   #46
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love watching binnington lose. Amazing goalie when he’s on, but he’s a cocky little punk. Head faking guys in that San Jose game after he got pulled like he’s tough. And pointing at grubauer at the end there like he’s a WWE wrestler.

Last edited by 3rd liner; 05-17-2021 at 11:28 PM.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 06:55 AM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 960 played an Avs radio broadcast clip of the Landeskog/Schenn scrap and it's hilarious. I can't recall an PBP guy ever getting as fired up about a scrap.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #48
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
I love watching binnington lose. Amazing goalie when he’s on, but he’s a cocky little punk. Head faking guys in that San Jose game after he got pulled like he’s tough. And pointing at grubauer at the end there like he’s a WWE wrestler.
Dubnyk:
Quote:
“I don’t know why he’s skating around pretending to punch guys… I just told him, ‘Get off the ice. Calm down,’” Dubnyk said of his exchange with Binnington, per The Athletic’s Jeremy Rutherford.

“He’s 160 pounds and out there swinging at guys… I don’t know why he’s out there fake-punching everybody, but I understand that guys get frustrated sometimes. He’s competitive, a good goalie, and he was obviously pissed off about something. That’s fine. We can look after ourselves.”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #49
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still remember how bitter he was that he didn't win rookie of the year. The guy isn't even particularly good.

He was in that game, though... good lord was that a massacre. Even had the Blues taken the lead to start the third, I wouldn't have thought they had a chance. You can't hold that tidal wave back forever.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #50
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I really thought we were there two years ago when the Flames were one of the top 2 teams in the league. Felt like we were finally an elite team again after years of mediocrity.

...and then we met the Avs in the post season.

It was the fragility of the Flames who weren't really elite. The Flames lost Games 2 and 4 in overtime. It's not like the Avs ran them over. If they were really an elite team (like Tampa getting swept by Columbus) they would have bounced back. But it turns out that was a one-off season.

And as SuperMatt said, they overreacted but I just didn't understand get the moves. For example, watching Hathaway last night, isn't he exactly the type of player Calgary needs?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #51
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It was the fragility of the Flames who weren't really elite. The Flames lost Games 2 and 4 in overtime. It's not like the Avs ran them over. If they were really an elite team (like Tampa getting swept by Columbus) they would have bounced back. But it turns out that was a one-off season.

And as SuperMatt said, they overreacted but I just didn't understand get the moves. For example, watching Hathaway last night, isn't he exactly the type of player Calgary needs?
Yes he is...problem is he had little intention of returning to Calgary as a UFA from what I have heard.

Would have had to of been a much higher AAV than he settled on with the Caps. He wanted to play in the US and on the East coast apparently.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #52
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Watching this game is fun and depressing at the same time.
Those two teams would utterly destroy the Flames. Either team, and it's over in four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I was thinking how much I have missed really good hockey.
It's like an entirely different game compared to what we saw all year.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all know Nathan MacKinnon is a beast but he turns it up another notch in the playoffs. In 41 career playoff games he's scored 22 goals added 35 assists.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's like an entirely different game compared to what we saw all year.
The North Division was the worst division in hockey this season by a large margin. Bad teams and terrible, terrible hockey. I feel bad for fans that only watched the North Division because the other divisions offered much higher quality hockey. The winner of the North division is going to going to be faced with playing at pace and skill that they have not seen all season.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The 960 played an Avs radio broadcast clip of the Landeskog/Schenn scrap and it's hilarious. I can't recall an PBP guy ever getting as fired up about a scrap.
Rob Kerr?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rob Kerr?
I think even more over the top than Kerr.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

That game was also a lesson in how not to fold when you’ve outplayed the other team, but their goalie is out of this world and keeps them alive, and they tie it up. You just know the Flames would have collapsed at that point. The Avs just kept going forward.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That game was also a lesson in how not to fold when you’ve outplayed the other team, but their goalie is out of this world and keeps them alive, and they tie it up. You just know the Flames would have collapsed at that point. The Avs just kept going forward.
Pretty much.

All I want is a relentless team that doesn't wilt in their approach, even if they lose their share of games.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #59
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Pretty much.

All I want is a relentless team that doesn't wilt in their approach, even if they lose their share of games.
That all rides with the Captain. Coaches have come and gone but that folding attitude has maintained ever since Gio has become captain.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #60
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Sadly I do believe there is some truth to this ^

They never quit in 2015 though, but since then? I don't know and you start to look towards what needs to change in that room.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote