Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #41
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames make the actual playoffs and the Oilers don't he owes you $100 IMO

Play in round is basically the end of the regular season
Old 06-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #42
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

When the league ranks the draft order, you will have the objective answer you are looking for.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Go for a nice long run when its hot. When you get home, take the 100 dollar bill and push it smugly between your but cheeks. Take video of your self doing it. Take 100 dollar bill and place in a plastic bag and mail it to him. Maybe forget to drop it in the box for a couple of days. Let that bad boy marinate, works best if you leave it in the sun.

mail it. When he receives it and calls you to gloat, send him a video of the swass bath that you gave that bill
There is so much in this sentence.

Did you really mean 'smugly' as though he is envisioning the future of handing this soiled bill to his 'friend' and his maniacal pleasure at potentially sending dysentery through the mail, or did you mean 'snugly' as though to imply maximum saturation of unpleasantness?

It could go both ways.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
So, I have two outstanding bets with an Oiler fan buddy. $100 that the Flames would finish higher in the standings than the Oilers at the end of the season and $100 that the Oilers would not make the playoffs.

He is now demanding that I pay up the $100 for the Oilers having finished ahead of the Flames when the season was called. I kind of think that, while a very Oiler way to win, it's BS. I know that were our roles reversed I would never try and collect on it if the season ended the same way. It's only a hundred bucks, but it's the principle of it.

What are the thoughts here? Should I pay up?
I do the same bet, but it continues into the playoffs, and the team that makes it farther(or the most game wins) wins. But I don't think you should call your bet until the play in is over. If the Oilers don't make the playoffs, I don't see how he can say he won.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #45
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So, I have two outstanding bets with an Oiler fan buddy. $100 that the Flames would finish higher in the standings than the Oilers at the end of the season and $100 that the Oilers would not make the playoffs.

He is now demanding that I pay up the $100 for the Oilers having finished ahead of the Flames when the season was called. I kind of think that, while a very Oiler way to win, it's BS. I know that were our roles reversed I would never try and collect on it if the season ended the same way. It's only a hundred bucks, but it's the principle of it.

I've got the same bet and the same dilemma. The other day I offered to pay my Uncle, so there was no indication I was a sore loser on the points % technicality. The NHL did say that the play in round does not count as playoffs though, so if the flames make it and the oiler's don't I feel we're both off the hook.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:54 AM   #46
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

IMO the place in the standings is not determined until after the play-in round, since the Oilers and Flames can still both end up in the draft lottery. If your bet was on regular season points, you lost but IMO the standings have not been determined

Last edited by Geeoff; 06-05-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #47
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

"at the end of the season" is the qualifier. Season is not yet over IMO and the play-in counts.
If both teams qualify or fail then you lose, but if Edmonton does not qualify when Calgary does it becomes highly debatable.

Interesting case when there will likely be teams listed higher in the standings missing the playoffs in favor of lower ranked teams.

Another point. In the event that playoffs are completely cancelled, do you win the second bet being as Edmonton didn't actually make it to the playoffs?

Last edited by Yrebmi; 06-05-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #48
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to the first page you go. Oh and e=ng

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #49
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait to watch patty kane take the oilers out behind the woodshed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #50
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I keep going back to how truly awful they were playing leading up to the postponement of the season. They looked like an AHL with a unsustainable powerplay.

I still think that their lack of depth, will catch up to them in a series against the same team nigh after night.
Not according to Jason Strudwick on the team 1260 out of Edmonton yesterday. He was going on and on about how well the Oilers were playing when the season shut down. How can the media be so delusional in that city? The Oilers were being outshot by huge margins in the last couple of weeks before the shutdown. They were getting hugely outplayed and what few wins they had in the last couple of weeks before the shutdown were only because their goaltender stood on his head.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #51
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Not according to Jason Strudwick on the team 1260 out of Edmonton yesterday. He was going on and on about how well the Oilers were playing when the season shut down. How can the media be so delusional in that city? The Oilers were being outshot by huge margins in the last couple of weeks before the shutdown. They were getting hugely outplayed and what few wins they had in the last couple of weeks before the shutdown were only because their goaltender stood on his head.

Even if they had been playing well (which they weren't), any momentum from that would be long gone at this point. As I mentioned in the Flames/Jets thread, this is essentially a brand new season with everybody starting over at 0. Whichever team starts hot out of the gate will move on to the next round, regardless of how well anyone was playing back in early March.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #52
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Oilers from February 13th the season being delayed (one month)

5on5

CF% 27th
xGF% 22nd
HDCF% 20th

All Situations

CF% 27th
xGF% 23rd
HDCF% 18th
PDO 5th

Powerplay carried team playing like a non playoff team
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #53
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I can't wait to watch patty kane take the oilers out behind the woodshed.
Patty Kane is a good man for putting down a wounded, senile animal.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #54
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicago will no doubt be billed as the underdog, which I'm guessing is exactly how they want it. Ever since the Oilers got a little sniff of playoffs in 2017, their players have been conditioned by the local ministry of propaganda to think that they're unstoppable Cup favorites, so they'll likely head into this series way overconfident and thinking it'll be a cakewalk. This will make it even more satisfying when the Hawks send them packing in 4 games or less.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #55
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon59 <--- no good.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1272347106636820480
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:11 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
So it's true that the Oilers are skating again at Rogers Place.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So it's true that the Oilers are skating again at Rogers Place.
Definitely not something they're used to at this time of year.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #58
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Old 06-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #59
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #60
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is pretty funny. Gene Principe hosts a panel of SN analysts about the Hart, which they didn't talk about beforehand, and goes into it just assuming that it's going to be a discussion about Leon Draisaitl, and why Leon Draisaitl is going to win. He even asks Johnston - rather than the obvious question of "who do you think will win" - if the absence of McDavid during part of the season is the reason Draisaitl will win, to which Johnston says, "actually I have Panarin winning". Then the analysts start talking about how they had Draisaitl second or third on their ballots and bring up MacKinnon, Panarin, Pastrnak, Hellebuyck and others, at which point Principe just tries to bring the discussion back to the Oilers.

This is just such a good example of what's wrong with the media up there.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 06-18-2020 at 03:30 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread