Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #441
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it worth getting the geek squad warranty from best buy for an OLED tv in case of burn in?
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #442
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Is it worth getting the geek squad warranty from best buy for an OLED tv in case of burn in?
No.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #443
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this is a help me buy a TV thread, but what would a good receiver be to go along with the LG CX? I figure with the new TV it is probably time to update my 12 year old receiver...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #444
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I know this is a help me buy a TV thread, but what would a good receiver be to go along with the LG CX? I figure with the new TV it is probably time to update my 12 year old receiver...
Wait for the next HDMI 2.1 compatible devices to come. There were some issues with the chipset used in them.

But I'd recommend something with Dolby Atmos and DTS.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #445
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
No.
Whoa, don't say that unless you include the caveat "unless they basically throw it in". Grind them on the best buy warranty.

I bought an open box TCL 75" 6 series. The $400 4 year warranty was offered, I declined several times, but suggested I liked the idea. The guy kept coming down and eventually as I was paying said 'What if I do $99 for the 4 year?".

I said sure, then a few months later I noticed some ghosting. Best Buy walked into the house with a brand new TV (even though I got a smoking deal because it was open box/returned) and walked out with the old one. 5 minutes total.

Plus, the warranty doesn't end when you use it. If anything goes wrong in the remaining 2.5 years they will walk in with the latest model and walk out with this one.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:02 AM   #446
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Whoa, don't say that unless you include the caveat "unless they basically throw it in". Grind them on the best buy warranty.

I bought an open box TCL 75" 6 series. The $400 4 year warranty was offered, I declined several times, but suggested I liked the idea. The guy kept coming down and eventually as I was paying said 'What if I do $99 for the 4 year?".

I said sure, then a few months later I noticed some ghosting. Best Buy walked into the house with a brand new TV (even though I got a smoking deal because it was open box/returned) and walked out with the old one. 5 minutes total.

Plus, the warranty doesn't end when you use it. If anything goes wrong in the remaining 2.5 years they will walk in with the latest model and walk out with this one.
Geek squad warranty sucks and I've heard tons of stories of the store trying to weasel out of it. Your story is one of the few geek squad success stories I've heard.

Costco and London drugs operate as you describe and are great tack on warranties.

If you're worried about burn in, I'd try them, or I would look into a credit card that had a product warranty extension benefit.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #447
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I purchased the LG C1 2021 model yesterday from Visions. They tried the warranty gig on my for 799.99 for 3 years and dropped to 299.99 for 3 years so with their base of 2 years, it's 5 years and I bit.

TV coming on Friday, so will review then.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #448
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've had the Hisense Q8G and Sony X900H for a few months now, and while they are very similar in terms of picture quality on paper, the Sony is so much better in real use. The upscaling on Hisense isn't very good, when watching 1080 stuff you can notice a lot of artifacts on the screen. But the Sony is incredible, a 1080p movie upscaled looks almost as good as 4K on the Hisense. Even SD stuff looks great, I have DVD rips of Seinfeld on Plex because I hate the zoomed in widescreen presentation for Seinfeld on any streaming service. Other than the 4:3 ratio though there's no way you'd be able to tell it's a 480p source watching it on the X900H

So my recommendation is that if you go with a cheaper TV like Hisense or TCL, buy a Shield to pair with it, because the on-board processor of these TVs is where they cut costs to keep the price down
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #449
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I set up the 55” TCL 5-series for the mother-in-law this weekend. I gave her the option of another 4-series like her office, a 6-series, or split the different with a 5-series and she took the 5.

I was really impressed with it. Panel was bright, black levels were inky. Incredible value for money.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #450
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Best buy warranties are amazing for TV's, I've gotten four new TV's using the warranty chain from a dead pixel to a burned in image. Once either of those issues arise the TV becomes too expensive to swap in a new panel so they will give you store credit in the amount you spent towards a new TV, its always been pretty simple & straight forward
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #451
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Well I purchased the LG C1 2021 model yesterday from Visions. They tried the warranty gig on my for 799.99 for 3 years and dropped to 299.99 for 3 years so with their base of 2 years, it's 5 years and I bit.

TV coming on Friday, so will review then.
On the flip side I can't not recommend the Visions warranty enough, lol. Hopefully it's not the same for you but the sales person lied straight to my face saying burned in images & dead pixels were covered but when the CNN scroll at the bottom of the screen was always present, I called Vision and it was the manager who told me I was #### out of luck and that they cover everything BUT burned in images to which I replied "well what else is there" to which he answered "exactly" and hung up on me. I am never buying anything from Visions ever again and will happily rejoice when that irreparable company goes out of business for good, lol

Last edited by Iceman57; 05-27-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #452
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Geek squad warranty sucks and I've heard tons of stories of the store trying to weasel out of it. Your story is one of the few geek squad success stories I've heard.

Costco and London drugs operate as you describe and are great tack on warranties.

If you're worried about burn in, I'd try them, or I would look into a credit card that had a product warranty extension benefit.
Costco is amazing. Very recently I did have difficulty getting Geek Squad to exchange my Sony dishwasher after it was repaired twice but the same issue kept happening. I didn't want to go through the process again but Geek Squad was adamant that I had to wait for this 6 weeks time line until an exchange could take place but then I just went into my Best Buy and told them how uncooperative Geek Squad was being.

After I explained everything to the store manager I was able to negotiate that I would buy a new Netgear Orbi Mesh router if they covered they gave me two hundred off the router, they covered the difference between the two dishwashers plus they paid for the new delivery, installation & I got half off a new warranty. The store will always want to make you, the customer happy while I have notice Geek Squad is much less willing to make a deal.

Geek Squad used to be amazing to deal with back when they had their own team of technicians, now they outsource it to 3rd party repair companies and I've had some real bad experiences with those 3rd parties with one dillweed even pushing our dog although after complaining about that to my store, they gave me a hundred dollar best buy gift card so I can't stress it enough, a person just needs to deal with the store that they made the purchase at, lol.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #453
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So apparently the Sony X900H was discontinued in the last few weeks. None of the big box retailers have one available locally, but I did find a store called Openbox that has them in stock. Has anyone on this board ever been to one of these stores, and if so what was your experience? They do have a 1 year warranty on everything, plus the tv is about $400.00 less than at Visions or Bestbuy etc. They seems like a legit operation with multiple locations in Alberta and BC, just seems a bit too good to be true.
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #454
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ordered my 65" LG CX.... getting it delivered to the new house - can't wait to see how it looks with my PS5!!!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #455
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Ordered my 65" LG CX.... getting it delivered to the new house - can't wait to see how it looks with my PS5!!!
I have that setup and it looks awesome
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 05:47 AM   #456
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
So apparently the Sony X900H was discontinued in the last few weeks. None of the big box retailers have one available locally, but I did find a store called Openbox that has them in stock. Has anyone on this board ever been to one of these stores, and if so what was your experience? They do have a 1 year warranty on everything, plus the tv is about $400.00 less than at Visions or Bestbuy etc. They seems like a legit operation with multiple locations in Alberta and BC, just seems a bit too good to be true.
Nah, they're legit. Openbox doesn't necessarily just mean open box. They refurb a lot of stuff on site, but I've had really good experiences with them.

Hint: Grab an extended warranty, but negotiate. On my latest laptop the extended warranty started at $50 and ended up being $20 by the time I left.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:49 AM   #457
jayswin

Exp:

You may be mistaken on the warranty, though. I believe they have 90 days on everything, 1 year warranty is what they try to get you to purchase. Like I said, get one if they're willing to come down on price.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #458
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You may be mistaken on the warranty, though. I believe they have 90 days on everything, 1 year warranty is what they try to get you to purchase. Like I said, get one if they're willing to come down on price.
Hey jayswin just wanted to say thanks for the information. I did pick up the TV today 65" X900H for 1200.00 all in including the 4 year warranty. All their TVs by default include a one year warranty, just to clear that up.
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkknight For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 12:08 AM   #459
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just an FYI, alot of the items at openbox are Costco refurbs/returns.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #460
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Hey jayswin just wanted to say thanks for the information. I did pick up the TV today 65" X900H for 1200.00 all in including the 4 year warranty. All their TVs by default include a one year warranty, just to clear that up.
Ahh, that must have been laptops that were 90 days as that's what I recently purchased. Glad to hear you picked that TV up, let me know how it looks in your house!