Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #3601
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do feel like this organization could use the POHO position as I think it allows GM changes to happen a little easier. In my opinion Burke should still be here and hiring his second GM.

With Davidson on the market it is crazy to not pursue him given the current state of the organization and this current iteration of the Flames needs significant change immediately.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #3602
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I do feel like this organization could use the POHO position as I think it allows GM changes to happen a little easier. In my opinion Burke should still be here and hiring his second GM.

With Davidson on the market it is crazy to not pursue him given the current state of the organization and this current iteration of the Flames needs significant change immediately.
How about Rutherford as POHO?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #3603
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
How about Rutherford as POHO?
He would be a decent candidate as well. Lombardi could be someone that takes that role maybe with Futa as GM?
Old 05-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #3604
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Burke left, his departure was described as "mutual". My interpretation was that the organization didn't see a need to pay both he and Treliving to do what they think could be done by one person.

I'm not so sure they would see things differently now.

IMO the Burke hire was in direct response to the Feaster debacle.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #3605
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames need to go after guys who have proven results.

Conroy is part of the current gong show and had no previous experience and was handed the AGM job. Pascal was a Team Canada executive for number of years and managed only a U20 Gold, Sprengler Cup and WC silver. I mean really with the talent at Canada's disposal that pretty brutal. Of the three, Chris Snow is probably the most qualified and he was the last to get the AGM role.

Some people to consider for GM to AGM roles.

Kelly Kisio built the Hitmen into a juggernaut and now is a pro scout for Vegas for 3 years. A guy from their own backyard. At the least he should be interviewed for a AGM job after whoever ends up being the GM.

Eric Tulsky in Carolina. He is a man behind a lot of what Carolina does. Friedman mentioned him on couple of episodes now. Harvard grad, dubbed as arguably the best analytical mind in the NHL. Currently AGM in Carolina.

Brad Whelen in Tampa. Longtime Hitmen Scout while Kisio was in charge. He found the likes of Martin Jones (4th round), Ryan White (4th round), Ryan Getzlaf (3rd round), Karl Alzner (2nd round) and Michael Stone (4th round) while with the Hitmen. Has gone from a scout to Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting for a Tampa team that continuously finds players.

Judd Brackett of Minnesota. Went from scout to Director of Amateur Scouting for Canucks. He was responsible for identifying guys like Boeser, Madden, Demko, Gaudette in the NCAA. He then moved to Wild last year but Minnesota didn't take any NCAA players in 2020 draft.

Theresa Feaster, currently serving as Director of Hockey Operations for Providence College in the NCAA for 3 years. Served as assistant coach (video coach) for USA U20 team. She's an up and comer and the Flames would be wise to add her.

There's a lot of good personnel people out there who have paid their dues. Hire the brightest people. Time to fix this thing Murray.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #3606
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I’ll acknowledge that you’re likely right, but let’s not forget what Gaudreau and Giordano were when they were 21. Big question marks on both.

As for picking often enough, it’s not a guarantee of success. See 2013 Calgary Flames first round.

Giordano, sure, but Gaudreau was always a very special player. There were questions about whether he could physically handle the NHL but there was zero doubt about his elite skill. Matthew Philips has some nice skill but not at JG’s level.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #3607
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

“As a child, Feaster helped her father, who was GM of the Calgary Flames and Tampa Bay Lightning, by faxing player contracts or other important hockey paperwork.”

I believe she may also have helped Jay with the interpretation of the CBA.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #3608
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
“As a child, Feaster helped her father, who was GM of the Calgary Flames and Tampa Bay Lightning, by faxing player contracts or other important hockey paperwork.”

I believe she may also have helped Jay with the interpretation of the CBA.
Not sure if you practice law, but I would have loved to seen that clause be adjudicated. Unfortunately RoR never signed here.There sure is a lot of folklore around it though and with some folks an almost certainty on how it would have turned out.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #3609
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Not sure if you practice law, but I would have loved to seen that clause be adjudicated. Unfortunately RoR never signed here.There sure is a lot of folklore around it though and with some folks an almost certainty on how it would have turned out.
Agree that the whole certainty around knowing what would have happened is silly.

But the huge problem is that it was painfully obvious that Feaster and co. had not done their homework.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #3610
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Agree that the whole certainty around knowing what would have happened is silly.

But the huge problem is that it was painfully obvious that Feaster and co. had not done their homework.
Well I think after watching Brad grab Neal and Brouwer and burn draft picks on Hamonic, Lazer, Elliott, and others that not doing your homework is a feature of Flames GM's and not a bug.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #3611
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
LOL. Yes, I practice law. ROR actually did sign here, BTW. Calgary just got matched. Thank god.

The plain language of the clause left little doubt. The league said it was offside. He never checked with them - you can actually do that, just like you can get an advance tax ruling. And, even if you think there’s doubt, you don’t take a chance like that on the basis of “well, maybe I’m right”.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #3612
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Wasn’t the CBA yet to be finalized at that time? Am I remembering that incorrectly?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #3613
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technically ROR did sign with the Flames. It's just that the Avs matched.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #3614
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a hard time believing that the league would screw the Flames so badly (even if legally correct) over a technicality. Maybe quietly void the offer or something, maybe fine or dock a pick for trying to circumvent the rules. Yes they could screw the Flames depending on legal interpretation but it would be a massive PR issue for an administrative mistake. We’ll never know, forget or forgive though.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #3615
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I have a hard time believing that the league would screw the Flames so badly (even if legally correct) over a technicality. Maybe quietly void the offer or something, maybe fine or dock a pick for trying to circumvent the rules. Yes they could screw the Flames depending on legal interpretation but it would be a massive PR issue for an administrative mistake. We’ll never know, forget or forgive though.
Maybe, except the consequence was not discretionary. But even if they went light on the Flames, the thing was a fiasco.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #3616
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster should have clarified the rules but at least he had the balls to offer sheet players

Wish teams would be more aggressive
Old 05-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #3617
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Feaster should have clarified the rules but at least he had the balls to offer sheet players

Wish teams would be more aggressive
I guess. The risk is that you both overpay the player and lose the picks as well.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #3618
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Giordano, sure, but Gaudreau was always a very special player. There were questions about whether he could physically handle the NHL but there was zero doubt about his elite skill. Matthew Philips has some nice skill but not at JG’s level.
yes, Gaudreau has always been special. But if I were to wager, not many were predicting he was going to be, at one point, a 99 point player. At least, not in the NHL. Part of what makes Gio and JG special is they overcame the limits others had placed on them.

The point I was responding to was that there seems be a common thought here that the Flames don't have much in the cupboards, and that may be true, but it is not the foregone conclusion some are making it out to be. Is it completely inconceivable that Zary can't be a first line player, or Wolf a staring G, or Pelletier a top 6 forward?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:07 PM   #3619
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Like a ton of posters have mentioned - the silence from BT or anyone from the Flames really other than Sutter/Players having to do their daily obligations is really weird. They've gone completely silent.

Hope we get some announcement of changes on Thursday and Brad does not get to do a state of the union press conference that he normally does.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #3620
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Like a ton of posters have mentioned - the silence from BT or anyone from the Flames really other than Sutter/Players having to do their daily obligations is really weird. They've gone completely silent.

Hope we get some announcement of changes on Thursday and Brad does not get to do a state of the union press conference that he normally does.
I don’t think it is weird at all. What needs to be said recently that can’t wait until the season is over? It sounds like people expected Brad to address the media when they were mathematically eliminated?