Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #21
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much not news when this was coming the day the dispute happened. Why do we call it stripping of the captaincy anyway?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #22
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if they could possibly handle this any worse, even if they tried.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #23
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sabres treat Eichel as unhealthy, uncooperative, and unfit for captaincy.

But they still expect other teams to pay full value for him.
Interesting logic huh.

Maybe suitors should be paying for a crippled player unfit for leadership duties and physical performance.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-23-2021 at 08:32 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #24
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Pretty much not news when this was coming the day the dispute happened. Why do we call it stripping of the captaincy anyway?
Because they stripped him of the captaincy.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #25
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get holding out for max value but they are at a point where they are taking all the criticism. This treatment of Eichel isn’t going to bold well with future star players or any players resigning with Buffalo. Getting a couple extra picks isn’t worth that.

See Daryl Sutter and Andrew Ference. I think the Flames had like 15 guys with ntc at one point because of that move. Players talk
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #26
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

BT: I am treating Johnny Gaudreau as a 6 ft. 4, playoff behemoth and will consider all trade offers accordingly.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #27
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffalo couldn't have handled this worse IMO.

The $10M is going to be almost impossible to move during the season, and any team acquiring him is going to be expected to give up assets for a player that can't play for 3 months.

Then as you approach next off-season you have the fuse of his NTC kicking in on July 1st, and teams are going to know that as well.

And I think overlooked in all of this is we are talking about a guys actual physical health. I'm sure if his neck is bad enough that he can't play, that it's limiting him from doing other things in his day to day life as well.

And he's now had surgery delayed for 6 months because of this dispute.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #28
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, although this was a pretty obvious move coming, it can't possibly be rational to think that this doesn't decrease Eichel's overall value. What a stupid move to let it get this far.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #29
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The $10M is going to be almost impossible to move during the season, and any team acquiring him is going to be expected to give up assets for a player that can't play for 3 months.

Then as you approach next off-season you have the fuse of his NTC kicking in on July 1st, and teams are going to know that as well.

And I think overlooked in all of this is we are talking about a guys actual physical health. I'm sure if his neck is bad enough that he can't play, that it's limiting him from doing other things in his day to day life as well.

I’ve suggested this before but have never been told if it could work or not… could a team not pull a Kucherov with eichel? If eichel is placed on LTIR by the sabres to start the season, and is then traded to a team, will that team even need cap space for him? Wouldn’t him being on LTIR already mean he would not count against the cap for any team that acquires him, provided they are a cap team? I’m always unclear about this.

If so, teams could circle back on eichel after a month into the season if they are playing really well and look like they will make the playoffs without eichel during the regular season. They could acquire eichel using only futures and just wait till playoffs to activate him from IR. Gives him 6 months to fully recover from surgery and the acquiring team takes less risk that their 1st round pick in the trade will be a high pick if the team gets off to a strong start to the season. Similar to Tampa, they would have to shed salary in the offseason but they would still have a loaded team for this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #30
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So, at what point does Eichel end up suing the Sabres?
I don't see that but I am sure a grievance will be filed by the NHLPA on his behalf. With Adams and the Sabres ownership having unrealistic expectations on a return and refusing him the surgery he wishes to have this is going to get really ugly.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #31
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can we not just trade them 82-point Sean Monahan, 2011 Milan Lucic and our 2012 first round pick and be done with it?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Oh my god! What shocking news! Hard to believe that Eichel would fail his physical, would refuse the recommended medical procedure, and the Sabres take action to remove him from a leadership role with the hockey club. In other shocking news, the sky is blue and water is wet.
Yeah I thought this entire scenario was totally expected for weeks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #33
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do they care which surgery he has at this point?

He’s not playing for you again.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #34
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’ll show him!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sabres don't plan on winning this season so there's really little pressure to get a deal done during the season. I've been saying for a while that this is going into 2022. They have a lot of time to wait for teams to get desperate and up their offers. I don't think any of this changes his value as pressure won't be on the Sabres until next offseason.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #36
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if it's possible or not, but somebody is going to have to step in here. The league maybe? A mediator?

They are basically holding the player hostage at this point.

It'd be different if he was healthy and holding out. But needing surgery, not being allowed to get the one he wants, and then only being willing to trade him for his full and healthy value?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #37
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sabres don't plan on winning this season so there's really little pressure to get a deal done during the season. I've been saying for a while that this is going into 2022. They have a lot of time to wait for teams to get desperate and up their offers. I don't think any of this changes his value as pressure won't be on the Sabres until next offseason.
But they also don’t.

Eichel’s NTC kicks in next offseason so they do have a fuse, and at that point Eichel can say “I only waive for these three teams”
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 10:03 AM   #38
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if they trade him for garbage, he fully recovers and turns into a superstar for the new team, then Buffalo look like the idiots again. They have nothing to lose by standing pat (other than Pegula's money, I guess)/
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #39
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
But they also don’t.

Eichel’s NTC kicks in next offseason so they do have a fuse, and at that point Eichel can say “I only waive for these three teams”
And it's tricky to wait for a team to "get desperate", since by blocking the surgery, it's not like any team at the TDL is going to think he can be what puts them over the edge. In fact, because there is the uncertainty about the season, the wait will just remove teams from the discussion since the longer the season goes on, the more teams will know if they are legit contenders to make the playoffs and won't be willing to part with pieces that will cost them the postseason.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #40
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

There is a time limit on this. Its really in their best interests to let him choose his surgery, prove he can play and then be shopped to 31 other teams. All this posturing is wildly detrimental to both sides.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post: