Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #21
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
ryanreynoldsbutwhy.gif
calgaryflameswhynot.gif
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #22
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
If you're not a Ducks fan, why do you care?
Exactly. An aside from the Ducks, what other actual NHL team has Eakins coached?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #23
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Exactly. An aside from the Ducks, what other actual NHL team has Eakins coached?
The Oilers.... oh... NHL team...
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:25 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It is a retread league. But then again who would you rather have - Dubas or Lou L?

Seriously, I think the issue is owners trust a mediocre track record more than no record at all. After all, look at how Treliving has suffered from hiring a couple guys with little or no HC experience (remember all the “no retreads” calls when GG was hired versus Boudreau).
Boudreau has .635 career winning percentage. It could take you decades to find a young coach that could win like him. I don't consider him a retread because he's a really good coach. I'm all for hiring an unproven coach that had a good junior or AHL pedigree but if that doesn't work out you kind of need to balance things with the next hire being a coach with a proven record. The thing that bothers me is that guys like Eakins and Yeo keep getting opportunities and I just don't understand how GM's can expect a bad/mediocre head coach to just flip the switch and be really good. A bad coach can ruin the trajectory of a team as well as player development but it doesn't seem to stop GM's from hiring mediocre retreads.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #25
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Exactly. I am not against hiring people with a long track record of success, like Boudreau, or Lamoriello. Those guys deserve opportunities because they are genuinely good at their jobs.

There is a long long list of re-treads, like Chiarelli, Maloney in Calgary, that seem to always end up in high level NHL exec roles with really, no real recent success of any kind.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #26
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Oh hey, it's the Dilbert Principle in action.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #27
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

"but they get it" thats why they keep getting hired
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #28
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eakins was sought after as an assistant by a few teams, not really his fault that the Oilers upped the ante to land him by making him head coach, and then setting him up to fail by undermining his authority.

As fans we know about 4% of what goes on behind the scenes especially at the exec level. The contacts these guys have established with player agents, other GM's, other execs etc allow the teams that hire them to have those resources and contacts for trades, draftimg, scouting, recruitment, which take years and years to develop at the level.

Chia, like Eakins and many other Oiler execs was made scape goat for the undermining that is enagaged in above his level with the Oilers. And that same level throws him under the bus and fans lap it up and blame him for everything, while the true architect of the demise has just enough time to lander and cuddle to the press to get put in the HOF 25 years after retirement.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #29
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

islander fans rejoice!
Old 09-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #30
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This news on the heels of John Ferguson Jr being promoted to AGM in Phoenix. Is there another professional league that recycles bad executives and coaches like the NHL?
As Beatle17 says, they all do. Here's what Michael Lewis had to say about it in Moneyball:

Quote:
The game itself is a ruthless competition. Unless you're very good, you don't survive in it. But in the space just off the field of play there really is no level of incompetence that won't be tolerated. There are many reasons for this, but the big one is that baseball has structured itself less as a business than as a social club.…

That's not to say that there are not good baseball executives and bad baseball executives, or good baseball scouts and bad baseball scouts. It's just that they aren't very well sorted out. Baseball doesn't subject its executives to anything like the pressures of playing baseball, or even of running a business. When a big league baseball team spends huge sums of money and loses, heads may roll, but they don't roll very far. Club insiders have a remarkable talent for hanging around, scouting young players, opining on the game, until some other high-level job opens up.… There are no real standards, because no one wants to put too fine a point on the question: what qualifies these people for this job?
Sound familiar?

It's true that some of the dumbest baseball execs got weeded out because they couldn't or would't cope with sabermetrics, so Lewis's remarks about MLB are somewhat out of date now. The equivalent change is happening much more slowly in hockey, and membership in the Club is still enough to get you a senior job somewhere around the league.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #31
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blues have a "major announcement" later today. Believed to be contract extension for Doug Armstrong

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues...nt/c-326322956
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #32
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Army gets a 5 year contract extension

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/armst...es/c-326331854
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote