Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #41
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To keep this offseason from looking really bad on Treliving

-need .915 or better from a healthy Markstrom
-need improvements from Tkachuk and Monahan
-need Coleman to be a shot in the arm to that 2nd line
-steps forward from the young d-men

Obviously we need to make playoffs. A first round exit is still just treading water. The team is in dire need a 2+ round run. Its doable in the pacific.

Aside from obviously fan morale and reputation of the club the greatest need for this is in boosting the stock of the top players. This group isn't winning a cup, but even a second round appearance with improved production from the guys that had down years will go a very long way toward creating hope for the next 5 years, as guys will undoubtedly be moved and we need those returns to help give us a competitive group in the years to come. Picks will be key in the next two drafts. Even if the tougher roster fails, if the top players perform better and we can load up on picks like Ottawa and Arizona then I would feel much better as a fan about our outlook.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-19-2021 at 02:34 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:31 PM   #42
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

2nd in the division.

For all the hand wringing, with the same roster last year they would've been in the playoffs with a full season of Sutter.

Roster is better balanced this year IMO.
Losing Gio may hurt a bit on the ice, but I think having him out of the room as a captain forces other guys to step up and not be hesitant to take on a larger role in that regard.

Coleman helps out a second line that has been pretty anemic in being considered a legit second scoring line the last 4+ years, and the Flames need that extra dimension and depth to scoring to take the burden, and opponents loading up against our top line.

And, the Flames are not going to be pushed around lup front or at the back, like they mostly have the past years (post Engellend) so that should also help with some team morale issues as well.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #43
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As *shudders* Francis put *shudders* aptly on the FAN, losing the captain is a shock to the system in itself. Maybe guys that left the leadership responsibilities to Gio will take those upon themselves as a result.

Gio has been around for this whole rebuild so this is the first time this group is faced with that kind of void and a new situation with leadership roles.

I really think they should wait to let performance determine the captaincy since that could light a fire under a few guys in the room that are hungry for the recognition.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #44
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
One more comment. So far, Monahan was not able to play well with anyone but Johnny. They have chemistry, why screw with it? Lindholm can play on any line and make it better.
Because as soon as Monahan gets a hangnail the line dies, keep him as a 2/3 center or even as a winger.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #45
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a wilcard season, This team could be 1st in the Pacific or just outside the bubble.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #46
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Offense actually doesn't look too bad. It's nice to see depth in all three spots even though the Flames are still missing a natural RW for the first line. Lots of solid two-way players as well.

This year, the Flames are going to live and die by the gaping hole in the top 4 D.

Sutter usually runs his best d a lot though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him effectively running five d every game (Hanifin, Tanev, Andersson, Valimaki, and Zadorov) with Gudbranson only out there for 10-15 mins/game to give the guys an occasional breather and punch some faces.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #47
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames will be a competitive team this season. They have a couple things going for them.

1. They have a history of responding to hard ass head coaches. Hartley and Peters were both very demanding and got the most out of past iterations of the team. Sutter will have his hands full but I think he gets them there.

2. This team likes to do the opposite of its expectations. Supposed to suck? End up being good. Supposed to be contenders? Fall flat on their face. Most people expect this team to suck and want a rebuild, so hopefully they embrace the underdog role and end up being good.

On paper this team has some pretty exciting players, but as a whole the roster feels pretty underwhelming, especially on defense. They will have to find some chemistry and play a strong team game all year to find any success.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #48
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
This team likes to do the opposite of its expectations
Won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #49
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Not much went right last season. For this season to go better you need some, but perhaps not all, of the following to happen
- Monahan rebounds, even if not to his historic levels, but to an acceptable bar for a 2nd liner
- Tkachuk rebounds
- Markstrom rebounds
- Tanev continues strong play
- Hanifin takes a big step to be the new #1
- Juuso takes a step towards being a second pairing guy
- Andersson rebounds
- Eatbread continues to develop.
- Dube takes a step
- Coleman justifies his contract

There's a lot that COULD go right. If some of that happens I see them as a 7-10 team competing for a playoff spot. If MOST of them go right, I think they can be a little higher. If key players continue to play poorly they are out of the playoff picture and sellers at the TDL
I’m going to say something that will probably make me wish I’d not.

I think Valimaki will be the #1 d-man this year or next.

Or traded…
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #50
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup,won't win the cup.
Haha i dont think it works like that.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #51
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen15 View Post
I’m going to say something that will probably make me wish I’d not.

I think Valimaki will be the #1 d-man this year or next.

Or traded…
Everyone is down on him, after expectations were probably too high based on his play in Europe, which was followed by a pretty rough rookie season.
But development isn't linear. Still lots of talent and time for that talent to develop.

I don't know if I see him as a top pairing guy, but I still see a top 4.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #52
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m looking forward to seeing a lot of bone crunching hits and some scraps. Goal scoring I think may still be a problem, but even so, I’d rather have a team that can’t score and plays hard than watching a bunch of intimidated floaters going through the motions.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #53
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have very low expectations. I hope the team makes those expectations look silly in hindsight. If I start watching games semi regularly again, I will consider this season a success.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #54
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, at this stage we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully, injuries, especially to Markstromm, do not occur this year and there is a bounce back from key players like Tkachuck, Monahan and Andersson.

not 100% sure I agree that a year of Sutter guarantees playoffs though...Flames before Sutter were 11-11. Sutter's record for the remainder of the season was 15-16...

We'll see if the changes that were made are able to get over the hump and into the playoffs - hopefully further than one round
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #55
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would be nice to see Vladar break out in a way that Rittich and the 324 backups before him failed to do.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #56
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I understand the tougher to play against not being as soft and possibly having more compete, BUT pace?

Are the Flames going to be faster because Sutter told them to? I find it hard to believe that the individual Flames were not training hard enough in the past off seasons.

The additions of Coleman and Pitlick might be faster and able to play at a better pace, but it thought Ryan was in the league because of his skating and ability to play a fast game.

Zaradov and Gudbrandson are not going to increase the pace and likely are going to slow things down for the whole team when they are on the ice. Lewis and Richardson are likely pretty quick for players finishing out their careers.

Big physical teams are not usually associated with being up tempo. The smaller less physical teams try to force the tempo to expose the other tougher teams.

The Flames will not want to go up tempo and exchange scoring chances with the Oilers for example. Gaudreau and Tkachuk are not going to outscore McDavid and Draisatil very often if at all.

The Flames best chance for winning will be to have their players stay on the defense side of their checks. Less offense from both sides.
It's about style of play - pushing the puck forward, playing up tempo.

Normally, I would say it has nothing to do with being out of shape, however, there was actually lots of concern last year about not being in shape, as Ward's practices were too soft. So in this case, I think that is also a factor.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #57
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Would be nice to see Vladar break out in a way that Rittich and the 324 backups before him failed to do.
If being a Flames fan has taught you one thing it should be to never trust the backup goalie.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #58
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things I like about the roster:
  • It has a lot of talented PKers, it will be a top 5 PK in the league.
  • The forward group slots much better with Coleman in the mix.
  • There are many options when it comes to line Combinations.
  • It is a contract year for Gaudreau/Tkachuk which (hopefully) would result in a much higher GAF meter.
  • There will be a full training camp, and fans in the stands, and a well coached team.
  • This team will be one of the toughest in the league in terms of physical play.
  • Vladar has the potential to be a great backup.

Things I think are bad/lacking:
  • No PP quarterback, need someone to step up. I think it will be one of the worst PPs in the league.
  • Need an offensive defenseman that would make a quick crisp pass out of the zone, fueling the transition game.
  • No offense from the blue line of any sort, you will essentially have a stay at home D on the ice at all times.
  • The Flames are going to be in big trouble if/when Tanev gets injured.
  • No opportunity for a young guy to take Gudbranson's spot out of camp.
  • Based on the people brought in the Flames will be on the PK more often this season.
  • Vladar is a complete gamble, with no plan B.
  • I think we got a lot weaker on the 4th line center position.
  • It is pretty much the same team like last year, so it's a little harder to get excited about.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #59
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Rittich should be considered a success story not a failure
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #60
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thought is if you are a die hard flames fan your pain will be over by mid-April