Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So they should just sign him at an inflated rate and short term cause thats what he wants or be considered "stupid"?

I know what i would consider stupid...giving in to such demands.

He wants to play in Moscow....let him.

He wants to play in the best league in the world? Then he does it on the teams terms and negotiates a fair deal for both sides like every other guy.
Exactly, doesn't matter to him how or where he gets paid. Matters to Minnesota though. You get a budding superstar ROTY to sell jerseys on and you won't maximize your earnings by not negotiating with him?

Just like the NCAA players who walk, let em. Still not good for business.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #22
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Exactly, doesn't matter to him how or where he gets paid.
If not, then he is woefully stupid. NHL contracts are guaranteed for the term of the deal and are always paid. KHL contracts have a tendency to go *poof*, especially if there are under-the-table deals involved.

At a certain point, how you get paid becomes a question of whether you get paid.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #23
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Doubtful it is that high. These were the KHL's highest salaries last season:

source: https://novacapsfans.com/2020/06/03/...p-khl-players/

There is a tax difference, but according to the information available for KHL salaries, a 8 figure USD contract would make Kaprizov the highest paid player in the KHL by a wide margin.
Wow, there’s a lot of former Oilers on that list. Must be some Russian Hollands/Chiarellis in GM jobs over there. Hartikainen, Lander, Larsen, Tkachev, Slepyshev, Beck, Yakupov, and Paajarvi. All of em overpaid.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #24
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

haha vladdy hockey
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #25
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Wow, there’s a lot of former Oilers on that list. Must be some Russian Hollands/Chiarellis in GM jobs over there. Hartikainen, Lander, Larsen, Tkachev, Slepyshev, Beck, Yakupov, and Paajarvi. All of em overpaid.
I was going through the list and was just going to post that is a whose who from various rebuild attempts.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:39 AM   #26
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Kaprizov has one-year deal in place with CSKA to start Sep 1 if no NHL deal reached

This would royally screw Minnesota. Next season is there only real window of opportunity before landing in cap jail with the Suter and Parise buyouts.

If they don’t sign him, it’s a lost season. Despite his contract status, he has all the leverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM; 08-10-2021 at 12:41 AM.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #27
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a stand up guy and a solid team mate right there.

What a selfish prick.

"Pay me more than I'm worth and screw your already tight cap situation, making it harder to build a competitive team around me or I will just run back home to Russia"

It's all about Kiril Kaprizov apparently.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #28
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd let him go back to Russia and twist. One year does not a big contract make.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #29
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael Russo at the Athletic says it is a one year deal offer worth $10M with CKSA Moscow.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #30
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I don't think a Russian going home, where he has played for many years, is going to 'twist'.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 08:29 AM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stuff like this makes Russians slide in the draft, fair or not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #32
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Kaprizov has one-year deal in place with CSKA to start Sep 1 if no NHL deal reached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That's a stand up guy and a solid team mate right there.

What a selfish prick.

"Pay me more than I'm worth and screw your already tight cap situation, making it harder to build a competitive team around me or I will just run back home to Russia"

It's all about Kiril Kaprizov apparently.

This is a bit aggressive no?

You don’t know what Minnesota is offering him, but reports were they wouldn’t budge from a long term deal when he only wanted 4-5 years.

He just watched Bill Guerin kick two of the franchise cornerstones to the curb. The Wild are just an employer to him- absolutely nothing wrong with him playing hardball to get paid what he thinks he deserves.

It’s like what Burke always used to say- don’t nickel and dime guys. Be honest and be fair- negotiations don’t happen overnight.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #33
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Kaprizov isn't necessarily after a big contract right now. He wants UFA status as soon as possible and the ability to pick where he plays.

It's really no different then the Panarin-Columbus situation, except that the Wild are playing hardball and turning it into a media spectacle.

If the Wild offered him $6-7M/yr on a two year deal, it probably would have been a done deal weeks ago.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #34
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Kaprizov isn't necessarily after a big contract right now. He wants UFA status as soon as possible and the ability to pick where he plays.

It's really no different then the Panarin-Columbus situation, except that the Wild are playing hardball and turning it into a media spectacle.

If the Wild offered him $6-7M/yr on a two year deal, it probably would have been a done deal weeks ago.
It’s asset management and precedent managing future assets, let him sit on the sidelines. Minny isn’t going to be any good anyhow.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
This is a bit aggressive no?

You don’t know what Minnesota is offering him, but reports were they wouldn’t budge from a long term deal when he only wanted 4-5 years.

He just watched Bill Guerin kick two of the franchise cornerstones to the curb. The Wild are just an employer to him- absolutely nothing wrong with him playing hardball to get paid what he thinks he deserves.

It’s like what Burke always used to say- don’t nickel and dime guys. Be honest and be fair- negotiations don’t happen overnight.
Another way of looking at it:

He saw his current employer hand huge salaries to those two guys, he feels he brings and deserves more and that now its his turn.

Who set the precedent?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #36
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Another way of looking at it:

He saw his current employer hand huge salaries to those two guys, he feels he brings and deserves more and that now its his turn.

Who set the precedent?
Do you mean the two guys who had played 7 or 8 years, became free agents and negotiated a UFA contract, vs a guy with one decent season? Then he and his agent have a problem understanding the CBA.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Do you mean the two guys who had played 7 or 8 years, became free agents and negotiated a UFA contract, vs a guy with one decent season? Then he and his agent have a problem understanding the CBA.
Where to begin?

Those contracts were pretty much the definition of cheating the CBA, there were massive re-negotiations and everything.

This is what he thinks he's worth, if the the Wild disagree then they negotiate.

He is Russian. He wants what he wants and he wants it now!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #38
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
It’s asset management and precedent managing future assets, let him sit on the sidelines. Minny isn’t going to be any good anyhow.
The precedent of what...showing some smarmy kid "who's the boss" or making every player pay their dues?

Instead of antagonizing a productive player like Kaprizov, who likely won't be staying long-term anyways, the practical thing would be to sign him to a good bridge deal and flip him for more assets at the trade deadline instead of turning contract negotiations into a media spectacle.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
The precedent of what...showing some smarmy kid "who's the boss" or making every player pay their dues?

Instead of antagonizing a productive player like Kaprizov, who likely won't be staying long-term anyways, the practical thing would be to sign him to a good bridge deal and flip him for more assets at the trade deadline instead of turning contract negotiations into a media spectacle.
Listen here sir...

It is the off-season after a trying couple of years and here you would begrudge us a 'Media Spectacle' at the expense of a team we really dont care about?

For shame sir. For. Shame.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Michael Russo at the Athletic says it is a one year deal offer worth $10M with CKSA Moscow.
I would call their bluff and tell him to call them back when he plans on returning to the NHL. If he wants to play in the NHL he still has to go through Minnesota whether he likes it or not. Wild aren't going anywhere and a top 10 draft pick would do them a lot of good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote