Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #61
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be best for both sides to get a moderator involved
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #62
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't know if it's possible or not, but somebody is going to have to step in here. The league maybe? A mediator?

They are basically holding the player hostage at this point.

It'd be different if he was healthy and holding out. But needing surgery, not being allowed to get the one he wants, and then only being willing to trade him for his full and healthy value?
yeah this is one of the most talented players in the world and it does no one any good for him to be sitting on the couch
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #63
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
They would still be on the hook for his salary though if it doesn't work or if it affects his play substantially. If he gets the fusion surgery they know he will be back playing for sure. Basically they want to take the safe route for the next 5 years, Eichel wants to take the route that gives him a better chance at quality of life 30 years from now. I suppose both sides are just looking out for their best interest but the Sabres come out looking like the bad guy no matter what. There should be a mechanism in the CBA to allow a player to terminate his contract in cases like this.
If he's not forced to retire or go on LTIR, then, yes. I suspect they'd end up with a Pronger deal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #64
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Most agreements would have a standard clause for moderation. I do wonder why it isn't something that is used in the NHL?

jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #65
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand why this surgery is such a sticking point for the Sabres, when they are going to trade him anyway
Yeah. Why do they care so much. Guessing you could have a second surgery if the preferred option doesn’t work out.

Quite the soap opera.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #66
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
Most agreements would have a standard clause for moderation. I do wonder why it isn't something that is used in the NHL?

You guys mean mediator?

I think they are past that point now. Their relationship is ruined from what I can see.

Time for a divorce.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #67
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would volunteer but I'm no longer a moderator.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #68
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

If CP moderators get involved, Eichel would just get Ban for speaking up.

Mods: It's a joke, please don't ban me.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #69
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i feel for the fan base tehre. imagine considering forking over thousands and this is the trainwreck that the organization is putting forward. Not to mention the perception that UFA's will have.

it would be real interesting to know if the NHL tries to have some conversations with both sides or if they stay right out of it
Old 09-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #70
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

No lesson is learned here when you take away something that is meaningless and has no value.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #71
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Jak Eihel
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #72
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He's also no longer allowed to tell people about their fried pickles.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #73
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Buffalo couldn't have handled this worse IMO.

The $10M is going to be almost impossible to move during the season, and any team acquiring him is going to be expected to give up assets for a player that can't play for 3 months.

Then as you approach next off-season you have the fuse of his NTC kicking in on July 1st, and teams are going to know that as well.

And I think overlooked in all of this is we are talking about a guys actual physical health. I'm sure if his neck is bad enough that he can't play, that it's limiting him from doing other things in his day to day life as well.

And he's now had surgery delayed for 6 months because of this dispute.
Mid summer when the hype and suitors were at their height was 100% the time to deal him. And when he had a shot to get the surgery and come back early in the season.

Holding off has ####ed everything for them.

Can't imagine their locker room is taking kindly to this either.

There will be ripples of disdain with this sort of treatment to their captain and top player.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #74
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Jak Eihel
You're doing it wrong.

Now Nnr MavI, that's funny.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #75
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHLPA is not going to like this and likely make a huge issue of this in the next CBA. Players should have some mechanism or recourse if they disagree with team doctors. Because Adams has his head up his ass, other teams will have to face some consequence and lose control over medical care of their players.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #76
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet it's as simple as:

Fusion = insured

disk replacement = not insured

Which would really limit the teams willing to acquire and take on the financial risk themselves

If BUF fans were smart they'd harass Geico to declare that either procedure would be covered.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #77
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I bet it's as simple as:

Fusion = insured

disk replacement = not insured

Which would really limit the teams willing to acquire and take on the financial risk themselves

If BUF fans were smart they'd harass Geico to declare that either procedure would be covered.
You can almost guaranty that no matter which procedure he has done that the balance of his contract will not be covered by any insurance company.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #78
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
You can almost guaranty that no matter which procedure he has done that the balance of his contract will not be covered by any insurance company.
I have no idea what is included in insurance policies of this nature, but I would think that the policy that was purchased would have had a term where his salary was covered for the length of that term regardless of injury. Otherwise what is the point of buying the insurance? I could however see a situation where if the Sabres purchased the policy, any injury treatments would have to comply with the recommendations from team doctors. Maybe Eichel could take his own insurance out but the premiums will likely be insane.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #79
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have no idea what is included in insurance policies of this nature, but I would think that the policy that was purchased would have had a term where his salary was covered for the length of that term regardless of injury. Otherwise what is the point of buying the insurance? I could however see a situation where if the Sabres purchased the policy, any injury treatments would have to comply with the recommendations from team doctors. Maybe Eichel could take his own insurance out but the premiums will likely be insane.
I agree up to this point, but it will be heavily worded so the advice of approved people (league approved doctors) will cover it but IF they go against that advice the coverage will probably be voided. Insurance companies are like Vegas bookies, they are betting you can't win against them and will fight to the end.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #80
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
I agree up to this point, but it will be heavily worded so the advice of approved people (league approved doctors) will cover it but IF they go against that advice the coverage will probably be voided. Insurance companies are like Vegas bookies, they are betting you can't win against them and will fight to the end.
Yeah, I don't know how all the ins and outs work for insurance. To your point, I was reading something that made it sound like when a player is traded, the team insurance for that player ends (which makes sense), and the acquiring team then has to take out their own policy on the player. With Eichel's injury, that could make it really difficult as the either the premiums will be really high, or the insurer may only agree to cover a small percentage of the salary (and very likely both). It would still be the team paying the player no matter what, and then the team has to try and collect it from the insurance company after. I can see how this situation could really complicate an Eichel deal if only a small portion of the remaining $50 million dollars can be insured, especially if the premiums are crazy.

It was on some Reddit threads, so the information may not be accurate, so I won't bother posting a link, but the points seem to make logical sense.