Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2021, 11:42 PM   #21
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Lorem Ipsum on a FAQ page only accessible through the footer has zero relevance to whether you should trust them with your information.

You all could just read the privacy policy and T&C’s if you wanted to learn more and make a decision on how safe your info is. From looking up the founder, he seems like a pretty smart and accomplished guy.

Or, you could just not use the app. But complaining about the FAQ page is stupid.
Having a FAQ page loaded with filler text is…stupider.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:03 AM   #22
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Lorem Ipsum on a FAQ page only accessible through the footer has zero relevance to whether you should trust them with your information.

You all could just read the privacy policy and T&C’s if you wanted to learn more and make a decision on how safe your info is. From looking up the founder, he seems like a pretty smart and accomplished guy.

Or, you could just not use the app. But complaining about the FAQ page is stupid.
I think commenting on their attention to detail is a pretty relevant way of evaluating how credible they are as a repository for sensitive personal information (and a drivers, photo, and all other info absolutely qualifies).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 12:15 AM   #23
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I bet there's a correlation between web designers that use placeholder text and those that use easily guessable passwords... admin1234
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 12:25 AM   #24
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think commenting on their attention to detail is a pretty relevant way of evaluating how credible they are as a repository for sensitive personal information (and a drivers, photo, and all other info absolutely qualifies).
It’s entirely unlikely the same people are responsible for both, and while the buck stops at the CEO, it’s pretty easy to put 90% of your effort into your product and treat the marketing of it like an afterthought, even with tech companies. It’s extremely common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I bet there's a correlation between web designers that use placeholder text and those that use easily guessable passwords... admin1234
I’d guess the majority of web designers use placeholder text if a copywriter hasn’t provided the text.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #25
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FAQ page would have been helpful in explaining how they actually verify the information (ie to determine if it is real and not fake). I’m assuming they have no access to Alberta Health’s records, so from what I can surmise they use AI to match your photo to your govt issued photo ID, and then they match your name on your vaccination document to the name on your govt issued ID.

But what happens when that vaccination document can easily be forged or photoshopped? Especially if you downloaded a version that is an editable PDF? Without anything to verify the accuracy of that document, is this app any better than walking up to the door with a(n easily) forged document?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. It would be easy to upload a forged document.

I'd love to know what the "AI" they are claiming to use does. I'd assume it's as simple as matching the name on the vaccination card to the ID, which in no way is AI. I'm not really sure what else it could possibly do with so little information.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just emailed their support to see if they verify the data, or take whatever is on the card as is.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #28
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PORTpass is a Calgary based company, so at least we’re supporting local lol
gilligans_off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #29
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Done. Can't wait to go to some games!
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #30
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'll be relying on my Singapore vaccination documentation while I visit next month and hope it suffices for CSEC, restaurants etc. If it is good enough for the govt of Canada to let me enter the country hopefully it will be good enough for businesses like CSEC but I'm sure I'll have a few headaches with it...
Old 09-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #31
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got the Portpass (it was pretty easy, but yes you have to upload personal info) but I'm chickening out on going to the games. I gave away the first two (preseason) games I'm not sure I want to be with thousands of fully vaxxed people who may be asymptomatic carriers for three hours, maybe get it and give it to my very elderly (currently healthy) mom.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smartcar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 10:23 PM   #32
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I guess I'll be relying on my Singapore vaccination documentation while I visit next month and hope it suffices for CSEC, restaurants etc. If it is good enough for the govt of Canada to let me enter the country hopefully it will be good enough for businesses like CSEC but I'm sure I'll have a few headaches with it...
I've already contacted the Flames as I'll have UAE documentation/apps and was told they'll be pretty flexible with it and should pose no issue.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #33
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about kids 11 and under? Do you have to bring their birth certificate to prove their ages?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #34
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To open my wallet and have my ID and card displayed is actually quite easy. It's not a process that needed to be streamlined further. You really don't need an app for this but maybe I'm missing something
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
To open my wallet and have my ID and card displayed is actually quite easy. It's not a process that needed to be streamlined further. You really don't need an app for this but maybe I'm missing something
The app is to help the employees verifying the vaccine record.

Instead of taking the time to make sure your ID matches your vaccine card, the app tells them right away.

It is supposed to help with getting inside the dome faster, instead of verifying every single person at the door.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #36
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to the game tonight and I agree with other posters on here. I'm not going to be using Portpass, it just doesn't seem safe yet and I'm not comfortable giving my information too them.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #37
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Here's a big twitter thread about why you shouldn't use PortPass:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1442198861859090433

Most concerning in terms of security:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1442198902988435467

Edit: Looks like the guy running it has deleted his Twitter after being called out for all the numerous red flags and security issues. Apparently he has a history of scammy endeavours.

"reviewed by our AI", "Blockchain Secured" all BS claims and the app has a collection of fake 5 star reviews.

Last edited by AC; 09-26-2021 at 03:42 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #38
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad look for CSEC to promote that app.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:05 PM   #39
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Living up to the lofty standards of the Bengals every step of the way ever since the passing of Harley Hotchkiss and the ownership transition...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #40
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

The glitchy app should have been my first hint to avoid. Not sure why I trusted CESC. Great start to the season.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote