Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #201
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I love how some people keep shouting the same thing about bad penalties

He was pretty disciplined last year, and this season has 4 PIM in 7 games, both in the same game, and one was nonsense.

So that’s pretty much not an actual thing

But carry on, you’ve got support from other likeminded people who don’t care to bring facts and stats in to the conversation
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #202
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

We have so many former canucks, Virtanen seems like a no brainer at this point.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #203
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I love how some people keep shouting the same thing about bad penalties

He was pretty disciplined last year, and this season has 4 PIM in 7 games, both in the same game, and one was nonsense.

So that’s pretty much not an actual thing

But carry on, you’ve got support from other likeminded people who don’t care to bring facts and stats in to the conversation
I saw one post that was a funny joke. Which barrage of posts are you referring to?

Edit: I actually looked and there were quite a few references to his penchant for bad penalties.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-30-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #204
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sure, we like his game in the playoffs - but the sample size is small - 26 games if you don’t count the play-in vs. the Jets.

He has not seized the many opportunities given him. I don’t like these requests becoming public, reducing the strength of our hand.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #205
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Bingo will correct me if wrong...I believe his analysis is that Sam is an average third liner.

Some would conclude that he is a below average third liner.
Regular season Sam Bennett is without a doubt a bottom 6 forward. All we have to do is look at Sam Bennett with Backlund and Mangiapane. Tkachuk with those 2 make an effective, play driving line. Sam Bennett with those 2 looks like an average 3rd line.

I think come April, Sam Bennett will always go Hulk mode. But from Oct-Mar, Sam Bennett will always struggle to find an identity because the way he plays is not conducive to regular season success.

He’s the very definition of a guy who can’t get you to the playoffs, but he can get you through the playoffs. Just an absolute enigma to any GM.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #206
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s a bunch of Bennett fans who say he needs better line mates. There’s a number who have always said he needed to be a C. On this team it’s one or the other, and it’s pretty hard for any coach to put him on the top two lines when winning is the priority, and you have Mangiapane and Dube playing well.

On this team, when people are healthy, Backlund’s wing is as high up the lineup as he’s gonna be.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #207
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A little off topic but Friedeman's looking so disheveled lately. Looks like he just got out of bed after a rough night.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigpete For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #208
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
On one hand, thank god. Been waiting for this for years.

On the other hand.. crap. We needed to keep him to expose to Seattle.
Why were you waiting for the Flames’ highest draft pick in the history of the team to want to be traded? It sounds like you were cheering against him.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #209
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sure, we like his game in the playoffs - but the sample size is small - 26 games if you don’t count the play-in vs. the Jets.

He has not seized the many opportunities given him. I don’t like these requests becoming public, reducing the strength of our hand.

Well Friedman just had to call his agent, didn’t he

And like I say, it can be as simple as part of a negotiation for a role

‘If you are giving new guys like Leivo looks with good linemates, after my client was one of the best guys in the playoffs, I think my guy needs an expanded role. If there isn’t an expanded role for him, he is open to exploring other opportunities”

Think about it. Gifting the new guys and starting Sam on the 4th is a pretty bad move by the team

Now we are seeing some special teams time

The guy is looking out for his career. Good on him
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #210
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ward made a somewhat telling comment.

I think this is a push for more ice time..

Ward said the coaching staff will continue business as usual and that Sam is a valued member of the team. He says he had a great game and will build off that.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #211
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
A little off topic but Friedeman's looking so disheveled lately. Looks like he just got out of bed after a rough night.

Should have seen him with his beard
Old 01-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #212
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Bennett for what he brings. But this signals to me that he still thinks he can be a top 6 player, versus a third line grinder. Which is too bad because I think he is/can be a very good third line grinder, but moreso in the playoffs it seems. I think the top-6 boat has sailed for him.

He was more noticeable tonight, and I did see him get some PK time. That’s good. Hopefully he continues to play hard; if he starts floating out there he won’t be doing himself any favours. I think that’s unlikely though.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #213
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Ward made a somewhat telling comment.

I think this is a push for more ice time..

Ward said the coaching staff will continue business as usual and that Sam is a valued member of the team. He says he had a great game and will build off that.

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #214
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

He was the obvious draft pick where the Flames were picking....I had high hopes and I assume he did for himself. I’m honestly sort of surprised it took this long for him to publicly ask for a trade. I’m not suggesting he is more than he seems but he seems like a proud guy and I’m not surprised he wants to bet on himself.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #215
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Does Bennett get a video tribute when he plays his first game back at the Saddledome?
It's called the Penalty box. Lol
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #216
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd do Bennett for Tage Thompson, all day every day.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #217
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What would've benefitted Bennett most was just fully embracing the third line bruiser role and then building an offensive game on top of it over time.

After a couple offensive penalties that hurt his team he just abandons the parts of his game that work for him as a preventative measure when they don't have to necessarily go hand in hand. So long as he just learns how to straddle that line without going over it, he could make it work. But that takes some fine tuning. Talking to and learning from guys like Tkachuk who are good at that would be beneficial. Devoting yourself to getting smarter out there with playing on the edge.

But if he's fixating on the fantasy that he's got bonafide top sixer in him and skill that is on par with his draft position then he's fooling himself.

We would've seen that in 6 years if he did. Any high end skill displayed was just a fleeting glimpse, and many depth players have those. He has some great strengths that can work for him, but they're not in that boat.

Whatever job you do, excel at it. That's the mentality that would serve him best. Seems he might think he's not playing where he's supposed to when I think he has all along, but refused to embrace that unless it was playoffs and he was willing to set aside the fantasy and just use his tools in every way possible to help his team secure a W.

That should be his mentality from game 1-82+.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #218
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well Friedman just had to call his agent, didn’t he
He called to verify the request and get clarification on the comment.

Quote:
And like I say, it can be as simple as part of a negotiation for a role
If it is, that's a pretty punk ass bitch move. How about not pulling a Baertschi and go out there and prove you deserve more ice time through your actions on the ice?

Quote:
‘If you are giving new guys like Leivo looks with good linemates, after my client was one of the best guys in the playoffs, I think my guy needs an expanded role. If there isn’t an expanded role for him, he is open to exploring other opportunities”
Players earn their time through their efforts on the ice during the game, on the ice during practices, and off the ice in their approach to the game. Based on the same treatment of Bennett extending across multiple coaches I think it is safe to say that maybe Bennett doesn't apply himself and the coaches reward him with what they see. If the new players come in and are working their asses off in practice and off the ice, while Bennett is not, that may be why they are promoted and Sam is left wanting.

Quote:
Think about it. Gifting the new guys and starting Sam on the 4th is a pretty bad move by the team
Think about it. Come to camp and look like crap, expecting to get a slot gifted to you because of a very small sample size from months ago, how does that play with the coaches?

Quote:
Now we are seeing some special teams time

The guy is looking out for his career. Good on him
Did you say the same thing when Baertschi got his agent involved as well?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #219
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's hoping some of the Bennett fanboys on CP are actually NHL GMs and are willing to give up a 1st round pick for Sam.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #220
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Regular season Sam Bennett is without a doubt a bottom 6 forward. All we have to do is look at Sam Bennett with Backlund and Mangiapane. Tkachuk with those 2 make an effective, play driving line. Sam Bennett with those 2 looks like an average 3rd line.

I think come April, Sam Bennett will always go Hulk mode. But from Oct-Mar, Sam Bennett will always struggle to find an identity because the way he plays is not conducive to regular season success.

He’s the very definition of a guy who can’t get you to the playoffs, but he can get you through the playoffs. Just an absolute enigma to any GM.
So far this season backlund has been a wasteland so your first paragraph isn’t really a fair comparison.

Best of luck to Sam and I’m sure he will actually flourish on a new team where he’s given top 6 opportunities.

And before everyone gleefully waves him out of town, be careful what you wish for because this team is already charmin soft, and I can’t wait for the takes about how “flames don’t go to the dirty areas”

Either way I’m gonna have to find a new avatar.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post: