Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #1221
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #1222
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...-his-own-arena

I usually roll my eyes at sports papers/news for their biases in these debates (960 is so bad right now). I get it, Kerr, you'll lose your job if they move so of course you support it.

This coming from the Hockey News was surprising
Not sure what your point is. I fully agree with the writer of the article.

I don't have a problem with a limited City contribution, but if Murray Edwards (who according to news reports is no longer either resident in Calgary or Canada so no longer pays taxes to either) wants to waggle his butt somewhere he is certainly able to do so himself, without use of MY money. Like the movie: build it and they will come - and if they don't - well, too bad it was a crappy investment.

Love the Flames. Beginning to really dislike the ownership, their arrogance and their threats to move. This is, if I'm correct, the THIRD time they have threatened us (even if KK says there is no threat, having Bettman there WAS a threat).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #1223
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Are we re-writing history now and pretending the Jets left because they couldn't get a publicly funded arena?

Not enough people went to the games. It's not like they were sold out every night and still couldn't make a profit.
Wow. Yeah, you completely missed the point. Anyway...

At the time, my view was that Winnipeg couldn't afford the NHL.

My view now is that I am glad for them that they got a second chance.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #1224
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Make Calgary Great Again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #1225
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Wow. Yeah, you completely missed the point. Anyway...

At the time, my view was that Winnipeg couldn't afford the NHL.

My view now is that I am glad for them that they got a second chance.
I did, but it happens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #1226
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nenshi is a smart man but very arrogant
Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #1227
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have heard at multiple season ticket holder meetings that the flames do not charge as much as they could for a seat in the dome (not even close if you listen to the Rollie and Ken show).

Much appreciated guys! But it doesn't mesh with your story that the dome has reached peek revenue capacity. So, if you weren't lying or by chance know what you're talking about, just raise ticket prices at the dome. I'm fine with it and will still go. I like the saddledome quite a lot actually. It's been perpetuated so much that it's just not usable as a building anymore. That's a load if I've ever heard one! That building has 10-15 good years left in it.

I'll welcome a new building when it comes, but now is just not the time. CSEC should just maximize revenue on this free building they get to use for another decade, then maybe it will be time for some new threads. Just hope king has figured out the Jersey situation by then.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #1228
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
'conclude' - based on assumptions

And not worth what money? How much? Is there a line in the sand? Or are you confident that there is no economic argument that makes sense in any city ever, for any amount?

Get off your high horse, there is no definitive proof on your side either. The adamance with which people bring up these studies is astounding.
I just don't get it. Why don't you trust these studies?

Is it purely because it doesn't jive with your feelings?
Do you think that you have some ideas and factors that none of these studies have ever touched upon?
Do you think cities or industry groups or universities are being malicious in some way when they put these studies out?
Do you have some private data that noone else has ever seen that you are basing your opinions off of?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #1229
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I just don't get it. Why don't you trust these studies?

Is it purely because it doesn't jive with your feelings?
Do you think that you have some ideas and factors that none of these studies have ever touched upon?
Do you think cities or industry groups or universities are being malicious in some way when they put these studies out?
Do you have some private data that noone else has ever seen that you are basing your opinions off of?
For the same reason why some people don't believe in global warming studies even though the vast majority of experts are on the same page. It would negatively impact their income and/or lifestyle and/or belief system, so they choose not to believe. No amount of studies or facts will change their minds.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #1230
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I usually roll my eyes at sports papers/news for their biases in these debates (960 is so bad right now). I get it, Kerr, you'll lose your job if they move so of course you support it.

Im sure what supercedes Kerr having a job is the amount of Charity work he gets to do with the Flames as well, he does some really good charities.

Keep in mind in the unlikely event that the Flames do leave, a lot those charities that keep rinks open and equip kids will evaporate.

If you remove some vitriol from this whole thing, a whole lot of people are going to lose out more than just some fans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #1231
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question to all. Would you support an arena and entertainment district outside the core?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #1232
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Question to all. Would you support an arena and entertainment district outside the core?
If it is in my quadrant, yes :-)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #1233
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Question to all. Would you support and arena and entertainment district outside the core?
Support how?

Go to games? Support public money?

Yes to the first. Moderate amounts to the second. Don't see how this makes anyone happy though. Did you try to come up with a lose-lose situation?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #1234
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pull an Edmonton. Revitalize Dover.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #1235
skcli
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why can't they make the 50/50 to become 33/33/33, one third goes to the cost of the building of the arena? Why can't they make Sportselect one of the key stakeholders? Why can't they go to Goldman Sach to raise capitals, or go for an IPO? In the time that even the schools are cutting yellow buses for our children there is no moral obligation for us as taxpayers to fund an entertainment company.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #1236
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Credit to this writer for calling out Francis as a mouthpiece for King.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #1237
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So we should ignore the conclusions drawn by all these studies and do the complete opposite??
There are varying studies. Granted, lots of positive ones are commissioned and therefore may be biased. But have you considered Feng and Humphreys (2008)?

http://web.holycross.edu/RePEc/spe/F...ertyValues.pdf
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #1238
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I mean if we are going to use anecdotal evidence, one group of friends I roll with probably spends the most money on going out and drinking and eating and other than me and one other guy (who is a canucks fan) no one gives two ####s about the flames so......
So you have bad friends?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #1239
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Im sure what supercedes Kerr having a job is the amount of Charity work he gets to do with the Flames as well, he does some really good charities.

Keep in mind in the unlikely event that the Flames do leave, a lot those charities that keep rinks open and equip kids will evaporate.

If you remove some vitriol from this whole thing, a whole lot of people are going to lose out more than just some fans.
The Flames charity work is great but it gets brought up an absurd amount of time. Virtually every big employer does something community wise and either through their employees or corporate donations add a ton to the community.

If you're going to base who gets handouts based on who does the most for the community - then you should be supporting the companies who employee the most people around town as they are keeping people from needing charity funding to survive.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #1240
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

About the only place I would be able to begrudgingly stomach outside of downtown would be Firepark ... it's close to Deerfoot trail and the NE LRT ... other than that no ...

Last edited by stamps; 09-13-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Closed Thread