Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #101
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While not quite from around the World, Margaret Wente from today's Globe and Mail.
"I have great news. I’ve finally decided on the guy I want to be Toronto’s mayor. He’s got it all – smarts, vision, likeability and some really clear and practical ideas about how to improve the city. Unfortunately, he lives in Calgary."

~P^2
firebug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #102
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Deerfoot was awful this AM - how much time does he need??

Grade: F-
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #103
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Maybe that is what makes us progressive...

We don't get all wound up with special interests, minority quotas, etc. We just vote for the what we think is best.
Exactly! Society doesn't need quotas, or affirmative action or anything else. I actually think affirmative action is hugely disrespectful to minorities/women. Wouldn't that imply that they aren't as smart/qualified to get the job as a white male candidate, since they need to be specially favoured? Let everyone compete on an equal playing field, white, brown, black, yellow, green or purple skin, and see who wins. In this case, Nenshi won, and his race had nothing to do with it.

I know I voted for him because of his IDEAS. Maybe that makes me a radical. Or a regular Calgarian, you know, either way.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #104
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post

Why don't ye go cry yerself to sleep on yer gigantic pillow.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #105
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Deerfoot was awful this AM - how much time does he need??

Grade: F-
I found $2 on the train platform this morning. Looks his ideas to improve transit are really hitting their stride. THANKS NENSHI!! A++++ Would elect again!
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneuf3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #106
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
I found $2 on the train platform this morning. Looks his ideas to improve transit are really hitting their stride. THANKS NENSHI!! A++++ Would elect again!
Awesome. I love ebay feedback.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #107
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post
While not quite from around the World, Margaret Wente from today's Globe and Mail.
"I have great news. I’ve finally decided on the guy I want to be Toronto’s mayor. He’s got it all – smarts, vision, likeability and some really clear and practical ideas about how to improve the city. Unfortunately, he lives in Calgary."
That's a great article, thanks for the link. Wente gets it:
"What’s great about Naheed Nenshi isn’t that he’s brown and Muslim – although he is a powerful symbol for a city that has become surprisingly diverse. What’s great is that he loves his city and has actual plans to make it better. A Harvard-trained business strategist, he was virtually unknown when he entered the mayoralty race two months ago. He had no funding, no professional campaign team and 1 per cent of the vote. He turned out to be a whiz at social networking. But tweeting doesn’t get people elected. Good ideas get them elected. Toronto mayoral hopefuls, please take note."
That, in a nutshell, is the story.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #108
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its a little much that Nenshi winning has been compared to Obama by several of my friends. Yes a visible minority won an election, good for him he ran a good campaign.

My issue with the whole thing is I don't think he is the most qualified candidate for the job, regardless of race or religion. The fact that he was voted in on a wave of social media does more to show how ridiculously reliant our society has become on facebook and twitter to get anything done than any redeeming qualities he has as a mayor. Nenshi has about the same political experience as I do, actually that's not true, he now has 2.5 more days of experience being the Mayor of Calgary than I do.

If we are basing how we pick our leaders simply because of a flashy campaign, and not because of any practical experience needed, then I am going to start a campaign to get myself elected as CEO of Encana. Shouldn't be too hard, all I need is several thousand purple posters to generate some buzz about myself. Even though I don't have the faintest idea how to properly run an oil and gas company, I think that a precedent has been set and I should be given a fair shot at it. Whats the worst that could happen?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #109
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Nenshi has about the same political experience as I do, actually that's not true, he now has 2.5 more days of experience being the Mayor of Calgary than I do.
How many times have you been to City Council? In your opinion, what were the top five municipal issues from the last year? Which Aldermen got along?

I voted for the guy, and am hating myself for defending him, as he has enough fanboys, but get a grip. He got PAID to follow politics, FFS.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to algernon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #110
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
I think its a little much that Nenshi winning has been compared to Obama by several of my friends. Yes a visible minority won an election, good for him he ran a good campaign.

My issue with the whole thing is I don't think he is the most qualified candidate for the job, regardless of race or religion. The fact that he was voted in on a wave of social media does more to show how ridiculously reliant our society has become on facebook and twitter to get anything done than any redeeming qualities he has as a mayor. Nenshi has about the same political experience as I do, actually that's not true, he now has 2.5 more days of experience being the Mayor of Calgary than I do.

If we are basing how we pick our leaders simply because of a flashy campaign, and not because of any practical experience needed, then I am going to start a campaign to get myself elected as CEO of Encana. Shouldn't be too hard, all I need is several thousand purple posters to generate some buzz about myself. Even though I don't have the faintest idea how to properly run an oil and gas company, I think that a precedent has been set and I should be given a fair shot at it. Whats the worst that could happen?
So if you've never been a mayor of a city, you're not qualified to be mayor of a city? I don't follow you're logic.

From what I've been reading people didn't vote for Nenshi because he was on twitter and facebook, but he got his ideas and message out through those means.

I believe in the idea of density in urban centres, better mass transit, living by where you work and shop. The ability to walk to the store is a must in my opinion. Where I live now I hate that I have to drive through five stop lights to get to the grocery store passing three main streets in the process. I need my car, and I don't like that.

I agree with Nenshi from what I've heard and read (albeit from across the country) and it seems that Calgarians do too.

Hands up, who where voted for Nenshi because he had a cool twitter update, or friended you on Facebook?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #111
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well then I guess only alderman should be eligible for mayors, since anyone else who ran isn't 'qualified' to be mayor.

But then, what makes alderman qualified to be on city council?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #112
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're right. Think you guys can help me with my CEO campaign? I have little to no experience, but I have some good ideas on paper, that should be enough shouldn't it?

I think we should start with a facebook page, so that people know what I'm about, then if you could help me put up some posters I think we will be well on our way to a successful campaign.

I never said being elected as mayor needed a prerequisite of having been mayor before, I just think that having political experience, and particularly political experience in Calgary/Alberta should have been one of the largest factors of any candidate being voted in.

Being an alderman is significantly different than being mayor, but having years of experience being an alderman, and seeing how the bureaucracy works, and knowing how to communicate with various city departments effectively is much more practical than a bunch of hyped up campaign promises.

But back to the real issue. How are we going to make me CEO? I could start by making some hollow environmental promises, and then maybe fund an orphanage or something...what do you think?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #113
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're right. Think you guys can help me with my CEO campaign? I have little to no experience, but I have some good ideas on paper, that should be enough shouldn't it?

I think we should start with a facebook page, so that people know what I'm about, then if you could help me put up some posters I think we will be well on our way to a successful campaign.

I never said being elected as mayor needed a prerequisite of having been mayor before, I just think that having political experience, and particularly political experience in Calgary/Alberta should have been one of the largest factors of any candidate being voted in.

Being an alderman is significantly different than being mayor, but having years of experience being an alderman, and seeing how the bureaucracy works, and knowing how to communicate with various city departments effectively is much more practical than a bunch of hyped up campaign promises.

But back to the real issue. How are we going to make me CEO? I could start by making some hollow environmental promises, and then maybe fund an orphanage or something...what do you think?
I suggest you start with a Political Science Degree and follow that up with a Masters from Harvard.

After that work for a Multi-billion dollar NGO or one of the larger not-for-profits such as OXFAM, The Gates Foundation, or even the United Way.

Finally, take a position as a tenured professor at a business school and I'll bet I could get you a CEO title.

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 10-21-2010 at 10:49 AM.
firebug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #114
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let's not get carried away, a mayor really is just a face, a figure head with one vote just like the alderman. there are a lot of people at city hall who know what they are doing, who any mayor can lean on. Anyone is qualified to run for mayor and be a mayor, you have a lot of resources at your hands

Did you know that the city has a CEO? Why dont you try and get hired as that first.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #115
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I suggest you start with a Business Degree and follow that up with a Masters from Harvard.
It's more fun to cry on the internet, though.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #116
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It's more fun to cry on the internet, though.
This.

Anonymity is a wonderful thing.

So is stirring the pot. Thanks for some morning entertainment CP.

Now I'm off to work on my campaign. Looks like I have a bit of work to do.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #117
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Actually - I think it's high time someone who is a rookie to politics started running things. Politicians running the city is the problem. It's a business - why not have businessmen doing it?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #118
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suggest you start with a Political Science Degree and follow that up with a Masters from Harvard.

After that work for a Multi-billion dollar NGO or one of the larger not-for-profits such as OXFAM, The Gates Foundation, or even the United Way.

Finally, take a position as a tenured professor at a business school and I'll bet I could get you a CEO title.
Hmm well I have the business degree.

Working towards a CFA charter. I've also volunteered with lots of charities. If I can just somehow teach at the U of C I should be set.

I don't like to poke fun at my old alma mater, but teaching at the Haskayne Business school isn't exactly the be all end all. Some of my teachers there would show up 15-20 minutes late for class, talk facing the board the whole time and then when you asked questions, they would be unable to answer them comprehensively because they only had a rudimentary grasp of the English language.

Time will tell if Nenshi is a good mayor or not. If he does a good job, then I will vote for him next time based on his performance. If he doesn't, I can always vote for someone else to replace him.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #119
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to start somewhere as as politician. To me, it doesn't matter that he doesn't have Ric McIver-like experience; Nenshi showed that he knew the issues, was sincere, and spoke for the people; not to the people. He also has a great resume that shows a plethora of real-world experience and shows that he can succeed on multiple fronts.

Plus - he's been elected for a grand total of three days now. Why are people so jumpy to say that he won't succeed? What if he does? He sure has the passion and the character to create a positive impact. Nenshi is the type of person with the right pedigree. I really believe people should give him the benefit of the doubt here. Give him a chance first.

Yikes.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #120
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope he does succeed, I honestly do.

My issue was never with his campaign promises, or the fact that he has a nice resume. It all came down to experience for me, and I know I'm not the only one who thought that way. Yes McIver wasn't flashy, and didn't have nice purple posters, but he did have a working knowledge of the bureaucracy in the city, which I think should have gotten more emphasis than it did.