Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Has Lazar proven he deserves to be in the starting 12 thus far?

I'm not sure he deserves to play above Freddie Hamilton or Morgan Klimchuk to be honest.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my honest opinion, no he hasn't. He hasn't been terrible, I just think he's been extremely irrelevant in every game. Other guys are showing more.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hes been no worse than any of the other guys battling for the bottom 3 or 4 forward positions. He hasnt played his way off the team anyway.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'll be 13th among forwards, imo
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think he's looked too good. Basically looks like he wasn't worth the 2nd rounder. Hopefully he solidifies himself a spot at some point.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is definitely ahead of Hamilton and Klimchuk, IMO

Lazar is excellent defensively. But he isn't flashy doesn't put up big points, so he is clearly poised to take over as the team whipping boy, once Brouwer is finally and mercifully removed from the lineup.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think he's been very effective with and without the puck. Hasn't had any offensive success or anything but I've noticed he's really aware defensively, makes a lot of small but important plays to keeping possession, or stealing it back, and had a great rush to the net one on play.

Enoch Root summed up my thoughts on him nicely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Lazar: one of the nice things about being at the game is that you can focus on individual players. And I watched Lazar closely. I agree that he did little offensively, but he was greatly defensively. Always in good position, always making smart plays, and some fantastic back-checking. I believe he would be great on Backlund's line. Their offence would drop a little, but it would free up Tkachuk to play with Bennett (or Monahan) and even out the lines. I know people want to see offence, but I think Lazar is being under-rated by many fans for what he brings defensively. I think he will be in the opening lineup.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not putting up points or doing much offensively. But he also has not been as terrible as a few would like to point out. He is one of the 12 forwards and will be afforded every opportunity to get it going this year. If not, that's that. But I feel he will bounce back. He better, I have an avatar bet.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's looked OK to me, no mistakes I've noticed, definitely don't get any hand wringing over him. He has a pulse out there so he's way ahead of Brouwer in my books.

There are quite a few vets who haven't jumped out at me yet either way which is fine, I don't expect them to be running through walls in split squad games. I think he will be a serviceable energy guy with higher than usual upside for a bottom 6 player and a right shot who can jump up the lineup if needed.... he's got good wheels and hands, would like to see him mix it up a little more but that's not his game and he's got way more upside than anyone you could bump him for like a Tanner Glass or Cramarossa.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what he has proved but unlikely that 12 forwards have proved they are better than him so he starts the season on the roster I'm sure.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazar is a great 4th line player. Don't expect more than 15 points from him, and if he does that, then it's awesome. He just needs to be a good defensive player for us for it to be a good trade.

This past draft was weak, and the players drafted in the 10 or so picks after our 2nd leave little to be desired. The fact that Lazar will play NHL games moving forward is likely a huge upgrade over whatever the Flames would have been choosing from. Very thin past the first 35 or so picks last year.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
He's looked OK to me, no mistakes I've noticed, definitely don't get any hand wringing over him. He has a pulse out there so he's way ahead of Brouwer in my books.

There are quite a few vets who haven't jumped out at me yet either way which is fine, I don't expect them to be running through walls in split squad games. I think he will be a serviceable energy guy with higher than usual upside for a bottom 6 player and a right shot who can jump up the lineup if needed.... he's got good wheels and hands, would like to see him mix it up a little more but that's not his game and he's got way more upside than anyone you could bump him for like a Tanner Glass or Cramarossa.
That's the thing.

Of all the guys fighting for the last few spots, Lazar has the most upside. He is also the best defensively, and he plays a smart game.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't noticed him being exceptional defensively, but even if he was this would remain a disappointing training camp for him in my opinion. Seeing him struggle to generate anything offensively even against other team's prospects leads me to believe that we are going to see more of the same from his seasons in Ottawa. A fourth line/bubble player.

I doubt he has played himself off of the NHL roster, but I certainly wouldn't be playing him in anything other than an energy role. Hopefully he proves me wrong and plays really well throughout the remainder of the preseason and realizes some of the potential that enticed two teams to spend high draft picks on him. As it stands I remain doubtful that he will turn into a long term piece as Treliving has suggested.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

The flames planned on being patient with him. My bet is that he starts on the 4th line
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #15
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really but I'm willing to give him more of a chance.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can reverse the question and ask who will be in the starting lineup if he isn't.

I think everyone agrees who the top 8 forwards are. From there, I would catagorize them as follows:

Jankowski

Brouwer (flame away)

Stajan, Lazar, Hathaway

Glass, Hamilton

Dube could move up to the #10 spot as early as next year. Foo could bust a move at some point.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #17
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

He showed well at the end of last season, and hasn’t been in a “wow me” type situation so far this pre-season. I think he should hold a spot on the opening roster, because development is all about growth, and Lazar has room to grow.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #18
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind that the guy was rushed into the NHL by Ottawa when Ottawa was pretty bare with NHL-ready prospects. Now, what we have to do is not rush him. Have him start on the 4th line, dominate that role and continue moving up if need be. If he can't, then we'll gladly keep him as a 4th liner that possibly sits out for a few games. But Lazar seems like that kind of guy that is going to seize the opportunity to improve. Don't expect a Gaudreau/Monahan learning curve, but rather one that'll take longer (like Backlund). I think patience is key with this kind of player. I am convinced too that we didn't trade him to hope he scores a bunch of points, rather for a player with 2-way upside.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #19
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Lazar is fine, definitely worse than Brouwer, but they should both make it easily.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #20
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazar is basically a Lance Bouma replacement minus the random 16 goal season that elevated hopes. He's an okay 12th forward.. can skate, PK, and generally won't be as terrible as useless leadfoots like Brouwer/Bollig/Glass etc.

Does he deserve a top 12 spot based on preseason and past history? Probably not. I think Jankowski, Dube, Klimchuk, Poirier, Hamilton, and Hathaway have shown a bit more overall to my eyes. But it's not the end of the world if he's our 12th forward (and 18th best skater).

I'm a lot more concerned about "11th" forward with Jankowski and the "9th" forward with Bennett/Versteeg. A good line needs at least two true play driving forwards to generate offense. Lazar isn't one of those so Jankowski and the other guy have to be. I think Hamilton has shown some play driving skill on the wing FWIW.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote