Old 08-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #41
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Good start to the season
Bennett taking it to a new level.
Gio and Hamilton competing for the Norris.
TJ Brodie wheeling and dealing, given his new sidekick.
Mike Smith having his best year ever at age 35.
Johnny and Mony making people forget about players named McJesus and Drysaddle.
Troy Brouwer earning at least 50% of his salary.
Jaromir Fricken Jagr
Glen Gulutzan victory celebration punches.
Tkachuk having a sophomore surge.
Flames going 5-0 against the Oil.

Other than that, not much.
I love the overwhelming optimism about everyone save for Brouwer, who at this point you only expect a 50% performance haha.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charsiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #42
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im mainly interested to see Tkachuks skating, and if Bennett has bulked up any.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #43
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Winning in Anaheim and hoisting the cup
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

These things get repetitive by nature, but I'll chime in with a different wrinkle

Looking forward to the games within the game this season because of the Flames sudden depth on the blueline. For most of last season the Flames had a pairing and a defender to deploy against teams with two great lines, with Wideman getting exposed. In the final quarter of the season and playoffs they upped that to two pairs, but it was still a cat and mouse game with getting Engelland and Bartkowski on the ice for periods of time.

Do you put them out there with Backlund's line to ensure there is no damage? Or do you keep the Backlund line to go with Giordano and Hamilton so you can dominate and push for a goal? Such a juggling act for Gulutzan.

This year it's Giordano and Hamilton followed by a upgraded 2nd pairing from the final quarter and a trickle down that sees Stone on a third pairing. Stone isn't a lights out defenseman but the trickle down effect is going to make watching Flames hockey fun this season, especially if Kulak can show improvement through the season.

Less tire fire shifts, and more flexibility to stack the top two forward lines with the top two pairings without being scared spitless of what that third unit will do with the scraps.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #45
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Curious to see if the Wideman Effect is still a thing now that he's gone.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
These things get repetitive by nature, but I'll chime in with a different wrinkle

Looking forward to the games within the game this season because of the Flames sudden depth on the blueline. For most of last season the Flames had a pairing and a defender to deploy against teams with two great lines, with Wideman getting exposed. In the final quarter of the season and playoffs they upped that to two pairs, but it was still a cat and mouse game with getting Engelland and Bartkowski on the ice for periods of time.

Do you put them out there with Backlund's line to ensure there is no damage? Or do you keep the Backlund line to go with Giordano and Hamilton so you can dominate and push for a goal? Such a juggling act for Gulutzan.

This year it's Giordano and Hamilton followed by a upgraded 2nd pairing from the final quarter and a trickle down that sees Stone on a third pairing. Stone isn't a lights out defenseman but the trickle down effect is going to make watching Flames hockey fun this season, especially if Kulak can show improvement through the season.

Less tire fire shifts, and more flexibility to stack the top two forward lines with the top two pairings without being scared spitless of what that third unit will do with the scraps.
To expand a bit on this...

Last year, Gulutzan had Brodie out against McDavid at times, because Brodie could skate with him. I liked the matchup, but it put pressure on Stone.

Now that Brodie is with Hamonic, those two are custom-built to face McDavid. And if they can shut him down, that leaves Giordano-Hamilton to be used in a more offensive vein against any of the other lines the Oil can muster.

I am really looking forward to this matchup and how Gulutzan deploys the D partners, both against the Oilers in particular, as well as the league in general.

Having two top pairings like that provides so much flexibility - especially on the road, when you can't always get your top pair out against the opposition's top line.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #47
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Being a legitimately good team. No struggles, no luck involved, no playing from behind.

Just being a team that's hard to play against and regularly outplays the other team.

We've seen flashes but I don't think we've been there in a very long time.

Last edited by DJones; 08-25-2017 at 10:47 AM.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #48
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair the flames didn't have Stone when they played the Oilers so it was mostly Wideman or others that were exposed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #49
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Last year, Gulutzan had Brodie out against McDavid at times, because Brodie could skate with him. I liked the matchup, but it put pressure on Stone.

Now that Brodie is with Hamonic, those two are custom-built to face McDavid. And if they can shut him down, that leaves Giordano-Hamilton to be used in a more offensive vein against any of the other lines the Oil can muster.

I am really looking forward to this matchup and how Gulutzan deploys the D partners, both against the Oilers in particular, as well as the league in general.

Having two top pairings like that provides so much flexibility - especially on the road, when you can't always get your top pair out against the opposition's top line.
Won't forget Wideman getting called for that penalty shot early in the season ... good example.

As I said though it's also about the forwards. The Backlund line won't have to carry the 2nd and 3rd pairings with their possession game as often. They can use their magic for generating offence instead of spray foaming a tire fire.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #50
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This never happened.

I would have to say I am looking forward to playing the oilers this year, losing every game last year was embarrassing! It is time to smack them back down the ladder a few steps!
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
To be fair the flames didn't have Stone when they played the Oilers so it was mostly Wideman or others that were exposed.
You are correct, it was never Stone as the partner when Brodie faced McDavid.

The point stands, however (even more so, I would argue).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #52
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
You are correct, it was never Stone as the partner when Brodie faced McDavid.

The point stands, however (even more so, I would argue).
Yeah the story only gets better, the Flames never faced the most dangerous player in the Western Conference with that last quarter team with a bolstered 2nd pairing.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #53
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames finally, after 14+ years, winning a god damn game in Anaheim and being free of the ####tiest losing streak in all of pro sports.

Whomever scores the winning goal, I will personally lobby to have their jersey erected as Forever A Flame.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #54
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm excited to see Tkachuk hopefully take another step towards being an elite player / agitator / annoying bitch against other teams on the ice.

Also super interested in seeing how Kylington develops this year. He's our biggest wildcard and I'm rooting for him.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #55
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Giordano having another Norris caliber season and finally getting some attention in the league.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #56
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to hockey, winning in Anaheim and our good young players becoming great.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #57
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jagr at the victory celebration at Olympic Plaza.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #58
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe just maybe we win a coaches challenge this season
Timbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #59
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

50 goals from Monahan
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #60
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Things I'm looking forward to:
-watching one of the best constructed defenses in the league
-the continued maturation of the young core. I'm expecting a bounce back for Gaudreau and a breakout for Bennett, Tkachuk and a Ferland
-the potential for some surprises. Jankowski and Foo are the most likely to surprise but a mid season callup and surprise from a guy like Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, or Andersson could be refreshing
-Smith. I love big goalies and I love the idea of Smith moving the puck. Excited to see if we can finally get some more consistent goaltending. I think some have underrated him
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote