Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Seeing Travis Hamonic on ice in a Flames jersey will be neat.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #22
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

May sound a little silly but I'm looking forward to the pool draft. It's a time to start studying lineups, powerplay units, point projections, etc. Getting together with a bunch of diehard hockey fans and picking a team is the official start of the season for me.

Also, there is the fun of razzing the first person to take an oiler. Mind you that's not so fun anymore so we'll have to bash the first weenie to take a canuck.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #23
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Goaltending, it is the the only thing that matters. Hopefully Smith looks awful in the pre season, thus ensuring an awesome reg season + playoffs.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #24
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm dying for Mike Smith to prove me wrong and be a capable backstop without all the flopping and antics.

Would love to see Jankowski take a spot from a veteran (Brouwer) and refuse to let it go.

I think an unleashed TJ Brodie, with a steady defense partner once again, will give Dougie and Gio a run for their money as the best d-man on the team.
Gallick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #25
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
May sound a little silly but I'm looking forward to the pool draft. It's a time to start studying lineups, powerplay units, point projections, etc. Getting together with a bunch of diehard hockey fans and picking a team is the official start of the season for me.

Also, there is the fun of razzing the first person to take an oiler. Mind you that's not so fun anymore so we'll have to bash the first weenie to take a canuck.

It's a well known rule that any oiler or Canuck drafted comes with a penalty of one shotgun.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Jagr

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reneeee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 11:33 PM   #27
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 08-24-2017, 11:37 PM   #28
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going to the home opener knowing we're not playing the Oilers or Canucks.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:54 PM   #29
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jahromeer Jahgger with 68 points.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #30
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Janko Unchained

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goodyear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 AM   #31
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Pocket Dawgs.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #32
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's exciting to believe this team is on the cusp of becoming a contender andnif things go right this war they could be a team talked about as a legit threat to win it all.

As for players I have 3/4 players with expectations that I hope are met. First is Gaudreau as last year was a bit of a wake up call for the hype train. The kid dominates college and is 6th in league scoring as a sophomore. His performance at the World Cup had some of us thinking he might be on the same tier as the other young megastars in the league. Last season was his lowest point total and he got hit and knocked off the puck more than ever before. He is a superstar though and I am anxious to see how he responds.

The second player in the mix is Bennett. I truly hope this is his breakout campaign. He has all the tools and plays a style that can make him a fan favorite and integral part of this team for the next 10 years at least. He is taking a lot of heat from some Flames fans and is being called a bust by the Oiler trolls out there. I hope this year he takes a big step forward.

Lastly I am very interested in how the new second pair plays. I really hope it is a big bounce back year for both Brodie and Hamonic. That pairing has the star power and potential to be a legit first pairing on half the teams in the league based on years previous to last. Hamonic fought injuries and the whole trade request likely never went away. Brodie switched sides, had the personal with his family, and carried around Wideman for 2/3 the year. The potential is there for this parinto challenge Gio and Dougie for top spot on our team imo.

Honorable mention to the goalies. Wasn't a huge fan of bringing in Smith and Lack but that is a better option than bringing back the same duo. Here is hoping they are the best tandem Treliving has assembled in his time with the Flames
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #33
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Expecting a huge season from Gaudreau. I would be a fan of his even if he didn't play for the Flames. Looking forward to seeing his creativity and a lot of clutch plays this year.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #34
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Flames go 3-0 to start the season.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #35
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really interested to see if our newest iteration of "best defense in the league" will be able to live up to its billing. If Travis Hamonic could run McMuffin through the boards in their first meeting, that would be a great start.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #36
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The return of Brodie being back to a legit top pairing, top 20 D. Last season was rough for him. Even after Stone was brought in and Brodie somewhat returned to form, you could tell something was still off with him. He was likely the Flames MVP during the Flames/Canucks '5 playoff series. Dominated both ends of the ice. Last season was full of poor decision making and giveaways he rarely used to make. Here's hoping Hamonic can bring the TJ of previous years back.

I'm cautiously optimistic Smith can be a good goalie for us. Even during Elliott's good run last season, I always felt that was more from the team itself then Elliott being actually very good. If the team can play good in front of Smith, then that's way less weak goals.

And finally, for Bennett to have a good season. Doesn't have to be ppg. But for him to show more consistency and remind people why he was one ranked #1 in his draft year.

Also looking forward to hearing what cool nintendo music the 'Domes organist will have. Last year had the Zelda theme. Before it was Super Mario World. What will it be this year??
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #37
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want to see Matt the #### disturber Tkachuk in full Tkachuk mode again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #38
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jankowski on the big club, or leading the farm team to AHL success. I believe he's a big piece of the future and think the patience in his development will all be worth it.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #39
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Goaltending goaltending goaltending. I really like the idea of Smith on paper. He's a SoB and a battler on the ice. A goalies body language can make or break a team. Look at Elliott in game 4 on that first shot. Don't ever want to see that this year.

2. The battle at center. Bennett and Jankowski. Who's going to elevate?

3. How will this top notch top 5 d corps mesh?

4. Monahan and Gaudreau with a fresh camp and no hold ups, thus helping the Flames have a much better start to the season.

Edit: also excited to see how Lazar does. I really think like Trelving here and this player is going to be a big part of the club.

Ah heck, one more. How does RW shake down? I'm aware Ferland has a strong fanbase here but ive always been left wanting more. I think he is fine in a bottom six role.

Last edited by dammage79; 08-25-2017 at 09:20 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #40
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Winning $1 million in the Safeway score and win a contest when Jagr scores five goals in a game.
Until the refs waive off the 5th goal because of an interference penalty in our end next to Smith.

But seeing some competent, consistent goaltending for a 15 game stretch would be nice start.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote