Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #21
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
read the comments if you want to die
That literally gave me a head ache. It was like I couldn't stop reading though... it is just mind boggling to see that people have that much free time. And to spew off all that nonsense and constantly try to justify it. What a sad, sad life that would be
Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #22
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have had one 100 point season in the last 25 years, and only 4 in the franchises history. So I'm very cautiously optimistic they can reach it. If they do, it will easily be one of the best regular seasons in the team's history.

At the same time this team is ready to take the next step, the rebuild should be over, and the window is now. You could say it's the start of the running phase, as Burke likes to say.

The challenge will be for the Flames to have a good start, which seems to elude them almost every season. If they can find a way to not dig themselves in a hole to start the season, I think that goal is possible.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #23
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes I think Oiler fans follow the Flames more than their own club
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
The Flames have had one 100 point season in the last 25 years, and only 4 in the franchises history. So I'm very cautiously optimistic they can reach it. If they do, it will easily be one of the best regular seasons in the team's history...
Prior to 2008–09 the Washington Capitals had only ever registered one +100-point season. Prior to 2013 the Ducks had only hit the century mark twice. Before 2014 the Minnesota Wild had only recorded one +100 point season and last year marked only their third.

The Flames' past success and failure has absolutely nothing to do with what happens this year. It does not matter a whit whether they have had 0 or 20 +100-point-seasons in so far as their ability to record 100 points this year. Making one's predictions based on things that happened in years or decades passed is dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #25
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Prior to 2008–09 the Washington Capitals had only ever registered one +100-point season. Prior to 2013 the Ducks had only hit the century mark twice. Before 2014 the Minnesota Wild had only recorded one +100 point season and last year marked only their third.

The Flames' past success and failure has absolutely nothing to do with what happens this year. It does not matter a whit whether they have had 0 or 20 +100-point-seasons in so far as their ability to record 100 points this year. Making one's predictions based on things that happened in years or decades passed is dumb.
That and the advent of the loser point has made 100 points more achievable in this era making the target less of a shocker.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #26
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing matters if we don't dominate the season series against the Oilers. Last year was an embarrassment and i will happily place all the blame on Elliot. Anything below 4-1 is unacceptable.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #27
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Nothing matters if we don't dominate the season series against the Oilers. Last year was an embarrassment and i will happily place all the blame on Elliot. Anything below 4-1 is unacceptable.
Honestly, some peoples' expectations and certitude need too be checked: A 3-2 record in the season series with the Oiler is "unacceptable"? A slow start out of the gates for the Flames is "inexcusable"? Recording 100 points without a win at the Honda Center "means nothing"?

I can agree with these strong assertions in principle: I think it important that the Flames start well in October, I believe they can and will win the season series with the Oilers, and I also expect a win in the Honda Center this season. But is any one of these snapshots in a long season enough on which hang the entire outcome? What if the Flames play lights-out in October, win two games in Anaheim, and all five against the Oilers, and yet somehow manage to find themselves in a playoff wildcard or on the outside looking in?

A great deal will happen in the space of 82 games. I expect the Flames to do well, but if they don't meet all of these expectations that is really not in itself a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #28
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Sometimes I think Oiler fans follow the Flames more than their own club
The Edmonton is no good thread gets more posts than anything Flames related on this board.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
That literally gave me a head ache. It was like I couldn't stop reading though... it is just mind boggling to see that people have that much free time. And to spew off all that nonsense and constantly try to justify it. What a sad, sad life that would be

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #31
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
The Edmonton is no good thread gets more posts than anything Flames related on this board.
That's a stretch isn't it?

If the site had one Edmonton topic and one Flames topic they wouldn't be close. The one Edmonton topic generally gets every Oiler issue in a calendar year. Every Calgary topic tumbles off the main page when something else comes up.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #33
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
The Flames were 13-6 with Stone in the lineup last year. I think the media and some fans are underrating the Flames right now. Giordano and Hamilton were rated (based on stats) the best defence duo in the league, slightly ahead of Subban and Ekholm. The issue the Flames had was Wideman and Brodie were the 2nd unit and had a terrible year. Brodie's play turned around significantly when Stone was in vs Wideman. I like Engelland but imo Hamonic is a much better dman.

I'm not sold that Smith is better than Elliott but I do love his ability to play the puck. But I also think Elliott is better than Elliott was in the first round. To me the sweep is why people underrate the Flames. IMO the series was way closer than the result, Elliott just stunk so bad the Flames had no chance

For me goaltending is about even and d is no question better

IMO other than Backlund not one forward had a year that was above expectations and for me Backlund is probably that good he just has never played with as good as linemates in his career.

If Bennett can bounce back and improve on his rookie year and Brouwer perform closer to expectations and Tkachuk has any growth no questions the Flames could win the division.

If Jankowski can make the leap to the NHL and prove to be a top 5 rookie this team can be good enough to win in the playoffs. IMO this team can be 4 lines deep with a top end first line and elite checking line
Well if that damn Wideman Curse is a thing of that past that should bode will for the Flames. I believe Smith finished 8th among 37 eligible goaltenders in 5v5 save percentage over the last couple years while playing behind a horrible Arizona team.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #34
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That and the advent of the loser point has made 100 points more achievable in this era making the target less of a shocker.
The 1950-51 Red Wings were the first team in NHL history to finish with 100+ points in a season. The OTL point was introduced during the 1999-2000 season.

• From 1950-51 through 1998-99, 103 teams finished with 100+ points in a season. In 48 seasons (49, minus the 48 game lockout year in 1995, when 100 points was unreachable), that's an average of 2.15 teams per season.

• Between 1999-2000 and 2003-04, 34 teams reached 100 points. In 5 seasons, that's an average of 6.8 teams per season.

• Since the 2005-06 season, 103 teams have hit 100 points in a season. In 11 seasons (we have to exclude the 2013 lockout year), that's an average of 9.36 teams per season.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #35
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
You need to put on special glasses before looking directly at the comments.
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #36
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The current ENG thread has been open for about 11 months and has just over 8000 posts.

If you combine the post counts in the GDT, GT, and PGT threads for Game 4 against Anaheim, there were just shy 2000 posts. If you combine the total post counts for all four games of the Anaheim series, there were nearly 11,000 total posts in about a week.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gulutzan is being careful in the media - this is a 'public' target.

Inside the room and organization, I would think every single person expects at least 100 points.

As many have pointed out, 100 points is only 6 more than last year. First of all, they are a better team this year, and second, almost everything went wrong last year (other than injuries).

I will be very disappointed if this team doesn't hit 100 points. I expect more like 105+
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #38
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think Gulutzan is being careful in the media - this is a 'public' target.

Inside the room and organization, I would think every single person expects at least 100 points.

As many have pointed out, 100 points is only 6 more than last year. First of all, they are a better team this year, and second, almost everything went wrong last year (other than injuries).

I will be very disappointed if this team doesn't hit 100 points. I expect more like 105+

As badly as they started, they finished out of their minds, so I think they ended up about where they should have on average. Team should be better this year but it's important to avoid injuries. They are very capable of topping 100 but a wild card finish isn't out of the question. Missing would require an implosion.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #39
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think that would be the case if we had one 'Calgary = Good' megathread for everything Flames related?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #40
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
As badly as they started, they finished out of their minds, so I think they ended up about where they should have on average. Team should be better this year but it's important to avoid injuries. They are very capable of topping 100 but a wild card finish isn't out of the question. Missing would require an implosion.
I don't get the fixation on points in a league where they are so readily available. If it's 100 or 110 I wouldn't deem the season anymore or less a success so long as they played consistent, competitive hockey and are able to win the tough games against the best teams.