Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #41
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Talk to me when Matthews is a PPG player who also kills penalties. I mean, ffs. Your making my own argument for me. If its goals that matter then Laine is better than Matthews since he scores more goals per game and only finished below due to time missed from concussion. Give me a break.

Maybe AM does continue to grow and become a top centre, but he hasn't even cracked the top 10 and was only put on 4th because he plays in Toronto.
It's way closer between Matthews and Scheifele than you are making it out to be. Sure Scheifele had more points, but Matthews had 8 more goals playing with worse linemates, and he brought the Leafs to the playoffs. Winning matters, and I would take goals over assists. Matthews is 100% in the top ten, no question. Arguments can be made between the two based on last season, but I would put good money on Matthews being far superior to Scheifele this season... In my opinion, as far as potential goes, Matthews is closer to McDavid than he is to Scheifele.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #42
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! Jets! ...

... Jets! Jets! Jets! .. Jets! Jets!
Is there anything quite as adorably, bucolically quaint as a thin-skinned Winnipeg Jets fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #43
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
That's a different question/conversation. The list is specifically "the best centre now". Scheifele is a better player now and will be the better play again next season. But to then say "not even in the conversation" is so dense all I can do is roll my eyes.
I'd take Matthews over Scheifele for next season. And no they aren't in the same conversation. One is a big franchise centre. And the other one of the best two young forwards in the game. Matthews is on another tier above Scheifele. It's really not even a debate and your homerism is coming through strong and loud
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #44
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've already preface my comments that I believe next year Mark will continue to be a better player. I don't know how that shows me as being biased, when he's been consistently getting better each and every year, and is now and over a point-per-game player and Matthews isn't.

Will Matthews be better eventually? I don't disagree... that's a very strong possibility.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #45
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Auston Matthews isn't the 4th best centre in the league, that's just Leafs hype. But are we seriously debating if he's better than Scheifele? That's not even close in my opinion. Matthews is quite clearly on another level. Scheifele has done a great job turning his career around after a few rocky years and is definitely one of the better young centres out there, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Auston Matthews isn't the 4th best centre in the league, that's just Leafs hype. But are we seriously debating if he's better than Scheifele? That's not even close in my opinion...
But ... ... ... J E T S !

Quote:
Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #47
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But ... ... ... J E T S !
4th highest scoring centre in the league last year. I find it remarkable I have to try to defend my position that an over PPG player ranked 4th for his position is worthy of being higher in a ranking than he is. I'm giving you facts, numbers and data, and people are throwing back at me meaningless statements of how great AM could be and you come back with this stupid post? What a Donald Trump-esque move. Bravo
Old 08-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #48
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Auston Matthews, tied 2nd in NHL with 40 goals, one of only three players to hit the 40 goal mark this season. That trumps the extra assists Schiefele put up with wingers like Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #49
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scheifele has the luxury of playing with some very talented wingers in Ehlers and Wheeler/Laine but he still put up 82 points in 79 games. That's behind only Crosby, McDavid and Backstrom. He also did it while providing excellence defensive capabilities.

There doesn't need to be any sort of homerism to suggest the guy is a top tier center at this point.

And let's not overlook that he put up a 70 point pace, the same as Matthews, last year while playing with the likes of Perreault and Stafford for half the season as well. It's obvious that Resurrection's tantrum that started all this was an overreaction but the premise that Scheifele, today, is better than Matthews isn't all that crazy.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #50
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Auston Matthews, tied 2nd in NHL with 40 goals, one of only three players to hit the 40 goal mark this season. That trumps the extra assists Schiefele put up with wingers like Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers.
Sure, that's your opinion. But Scheifele finished with a high PPG than Matthews by quite a bit and is the 4th highest scoring centre in the NHL last year. Move goal posts and try and make impassioned pleas all you want.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #51
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
And let's not overlook that he put up a 70 point pace, the same as Matthews, last year while playing with the likes of Perreault and Stafford for half the season as well. It's obvious that Resurrection's tantrum that started all this was an overreaction but the premise that Scheifele, today, is better than Matthews isn't all that crazy.
God help me I disagree with such quality posts as " JET S JETS JETS JETS JETS JETS". Get bent.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #52
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, that's your opinion. But Scheifele finished with a high PPG than Matthews by quite a bit and is the 4th highest scoring centre in the NHL last year. Move goal posts and try and make impassioned pleas all you want.
I'm moving goalposts?
And no crap it's my opinion.

Can see why people don't engage you in a debate, you're overly emotional and ridiculous.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #53
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
God help me I disagree with such quality posts as " JET S JETS JETS JETS JETS JETS". Get bent.
Lol?

This was your first post before anyone mentioned anything to do with Scheifele or the Jets:
Quote:
jesus christ matthews ahead of scheif. what a crock of ####.
It's a tantrum bud. All lowercase because you put everything in caps as well...Like come on dude.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #54
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Lol?

This was your first post before anyone mentioned anything to do with Scheifele or the Jets:

It's a tantrum bud.
That was a quote in response to an article, not someones post. It also wasnt all in upper case you ####ing pyscho.

Also I'm not your bud, fella.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #55
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I never said otherwise? I'm just saying your initial post was an overreaction. Bud.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default NHL Network: Top 20 NHL Centres

Quote:
...you ####ing pyscho...
This is totally unnecessary. You are a Jets fan posting on a Flames message board. One would think you had developed some nuance or a sense of humour by now.

Grow up, and knock it off.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-22-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #57
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is totally unnecessary. Knock it off.
Not to defend or brush aside Resurrection's antics but is it really fair to bait him with posts this one then switch into moderator mode and admonish posts of similar nature?

Comes across as at best childish and at worst hypocritical.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #58
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is totally unnecessary. You are a Jets fan posting on a Flames message board. One would think you had developed some nuance or a sense of humour by now.

Grow up, and knock it off.
coming from you this is priceless. you post so much anti jet BS that has zero substance and is pure trolling. i think my dog drops steaming coils that have more hockey substance than what you clack on your keyboard
Old 08-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #59
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So chapped saddle is one of the top centers cause he played well on mcdavids wing? Well okay then!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #60
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yardbarker
http://www.yardbarker.com/mobile/con..._7899_24591739
Southside is online now   Reply With Quote