Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NHL Network: Top 20 NHL Centres

Sean Monahan comes in at #20 on the list, with some high praise from Rupp.

McDavid and Crosby sit at the top of the list, shocking no one.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Draisaitl needs to centre his own line for at least a season before he should even be considered for such a list. And of course the Leafs hype factor puts Auston Matthews at #4.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

McLoser to 2, Matthews to around 9 (not sure if I'd rather have him or Seguin for just next year), and drop Draisaitl right off (because this is a list of centres, duh) and it's actually a really good list.

I don't know who I'd have at 20. Giroux I guess.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

jesus christ matthews ahead of scheif. what a crock of ####.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Sean Monahan is one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

He was saying last week on Fan 960 he has been training with Gio again this summer and expects to be stronger and more explosive. He also mentioned he is anxious to get this season started.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
I think Sean Monahan is one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

He was saying last week on Fan 960 he has been training with Gio again this summer and expects to be stronger and more explosive. He also mentioned he is anxious to get this season started.

grooming the next captain,,,,,,,hm
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trublmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
jesus christ matthews ahead of scheif. what a crock of ####.
What??? No, your valuation of Scheifele is way too high. Matthews is going to be a superstar.

Also...just waiting for the angry comments about how Barkov shouldn't be ahead of Monahan. That CP debate never seems to end.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
What??? No, your valuation of Scheifele is way too high. Matthews is going to be a superstar.

Also...just waiting for the angry comments about how Barkov shouldn't be ahead of Monahan. That CP debate never seems to end.
are we talking about who will be better next year or in the next 10?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Why do you think he's way too high? Only player beneath him that feel should be ahead of him is Eichel. Eichel would be scoring 90 points if he was surrounded by Schiefele's wingers.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

One was 17 the other 20, very comparable and almost equal players, could go either way but one isn't vastly superior to the other. Either team would be lucky to have either player.

Monahan is one of the most underrated players in his own city, much less entire NHL. Unbelievable player.

Other debates in the thread...
Scheifele is an amazing player but 40 goals is the high water mark in the NHL at the moment, that's an amazing feat as a rookie. I'll take the eight more goals over the 13 (?) points Matthews will make up, "Scheif" has a fantastic assortment of wingers to dish to as well.

Draisaitl makes sense on the list at this point, but how long will he be listed at center if he continues to ride shotgun to McDavid?
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post

Draisaitl makes sense on the list at this point, but how long will he be listed at center if he continues to ride shotgun to McDavid?
No he doesn't, he is a winger. He has done absolutely nothing impressive at centre.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
One was 17 the other 20, very comparable and almost equal players, could go either way but one isn't vastly superior to the other. Either team would be lucky to have either player.

Monahan is one of the most underrated players in his own city, much less entire NHL. Unbelievable player.

Other debates in the thread...
Scheifele is an amazing player but 40 goals is the high water mark in the NHL at the moment, that's an amazing feat as a rookie. I'll take the eight more goals over the 13 (?) points Matthews will make up, "Scheif" has a fantastic assortment of wingers to dish to as well.
Agreed on all points. I think Scheifele is an excellent player, but I'd take Matthews over him any day of the week. Just think of how good Auston will be when he gets to Mark's age.

And yes, I think Barkov and Monahan are comparable, but I still give the edge to Barkov. However, I don't believe Monahan is underrated in his city at all. Across the league? You betcha. Definitely not underrated in Calgary.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #13
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a bad list and nice to see Monahan getting some love but there are a few things that stick out:

-I'd still take Crosby over McDavid if only looking at the upcoming season.
-Draisaitl is a winger with one good season. Stupid Oiler hype.
-Stamkos, Towes, and Kopitar look to be on the downside of their careers and should not be as high.
-The list seems to be biased towards putting up points over 2 way play. Bergeron should be top 5 and it would have been nice to see Koivu, Kesler, or Backlund receive recognition. I'd add those three over Draisaitl, Johansen, and Kuznetsov.

Edit: just for fun I'll make my own list
1. Crosby, 2. McDavid, 3. Malkin, 4. Backstrom, 5. Bergeron, 6. Getzlaf, 7. Matthews, 8. Tavares, 9. Seguin, 10. Stamkos, 11. Carter, 12. Scheifele, 13. Kesler, 14. Backlund, 15. Koivu, 16. Monahan, 17. Barkov, 18. Toewes, 19. Eichel, 20. Kopitar

Last edited by FireGilbert; 08-20-2017 at 09:50 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Not a bad list and nice to see Monahan getting some love but there are a few things that stick out:

-I'd still take Crosby over McDavid if only looking at the upcoming season.
-Draisaitl is a winger with one good season. Stupid Oiler hype.
-Stamkos, Towes, and Kopitar look to be on the downside of their careers and should not be as high.
-The list seems to be biased towards putting up points over 2 way play. Bergeron should be top 5 and it would have been nice to see Koivu, Kesler, or Backlund receive recognition. I'd add those three over Draisaitl, Johansen, and Kuznetsov.

Edit: just for fun I'll make my own list
1. Crosby, 2. McDavid, 3. Malkin, 4. Backstrom, 5. Bergeron, 6. Getzlaf, 7. Matthews, 8. Tavares, 9. Seguin, 10. Stamkos, 11. Carter, 12. Scheifele, 13. Kesler, 14. Backlund, 15. Koivu, 16. Monahan, 17. Barkov, 18. Toewes, 19. Eichel, 20. Kopitar
I love Backlund, but no way in any world is he better than Toews, Eichel, or Kopitar (or anyone in that list). He's a very good player but let's not hype him up too much.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #15
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
are we talking about who will be better next year or in the next 10?
Define better.

Produce more on the boxscore? Maybe the guy flanked by Ehlers, Wheeler setting him up at every turn or Laine finishing routine passes with arguably the hardest and most accurate shot in the NHL.

Produce more opportunities for himself and his linemates with his individual high-end puck ability, vision, hockey sense, edgework, but not produce more on the box score? Maybe the guy playing with Zach Hyman for some reason but who is more talented and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Eichel would be scoring 90 points if he was surrounded by Schiefele's wingers.
I wouldn't be shocked if a player with Eichel's raw talent hit 110+ with Scheifele's wingers. Blake Wheeler is amazing. Laine is amazing. Ehlers is one of the fastest wingers in the league with great soft skills. I'm not sure any other center in the league had better wingers.

Scheifele is great, but his wingers are more great. Luckily they're still the Jets and they still somehow suck anyways.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-20-2017 at 11:38 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #16
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mark Scheifele at #10. Not bad. He should only get better in years to come.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't care about rankings like this but shouldn't Draisaitl have to play center full time to be considered one of the best?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #18
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My controversial opinion is that Stamkos is way too high... I don't think he would break my top20.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #19
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate seeing lists like this where guys who don't play center full time get included. Really cheapens it and brings its credibility into question. Also don't like seeing guys that have one or two seasons and haven't done jack get thrown above proven two ways players with a history of winning.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #20
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed on all points. I think Scheifele is an excellent player, but I'd take Matthews over him any day of the week. Just think of how good Auston will be when he gets to Mark's age.

And yes, I think Barkov and Monahan are comparable, but I still give the edge to Barkov. However, I don't believe Monahan is underrated in his city at all. Across the league? You betcha. Definitely not underrated in Calgary.
Do you not remember any of the GDTs of the past 4 seasons? No matter what the guy does, it's not good enough for Flames fans. Scores wicked goals in close and up high.... defensive game isn't good. Makes great transition plays or defensive plays... doesn't score enough points to be a true #1C. Always an excuse. Remember all those Johnny cheerleaders during contract talks who basically said that Monahan is NOTHING without Johnny?

He's done nothing but improve since day one, and he was NHL ready on day one. I think him and now ex-Flame Engelland were the two most underrated players on the team.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: