Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #201
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I am pretty sure the Fonz was taking a jab at my post.

But i am serious. After watching the NHL's video i don't see it the way they, or you, do. I saw it as Tkachuk is getting ready for some contact on a contested puck. He throws his body back and his elbow comes up and hits Doughty in the chest and his shoulder hits Doughty's face.

That's just just the way i see it, don't lump the Fonz in with dolts like me.
I'm with you actually. This is one occasion where I actually don't think Tkachuk was looking to get away with anything other than interfering with Doughty and bump him back so he'd get to the puck first.

End result I guess is he elbowed him in the face, but I'm not convinced on this one that it was anything other than that. All that said, I get that players like Tkachuk shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt either.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #202
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I'm with you actually. This is one occasion where I actually don't think Tkachuk was looking to get away with anything other than interfering with Doughty and bump him back so he'd get to the puck first.

End result I guess is he elbowed him in the face, but I'm not convinced on this one that it was anything other than that. All that said, I get that players like Tkachuk shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt either.
I sort of agree - I think it was a preemptive strike, as he thought he was going to get hit from behind while playing the puck. But he did get the elbow up rather than just put his whole back into it, which would have worked as well. So at a minimum he was reckless. If he'd intentionally tried to hurt Doughty's head I'd be OK with more games.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #203
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

PeterLoubardias tweeting this morning that he is betting Bennett takes Tkachuk's spot.

Quote:
Interesting to see who takes Tkachuk's spot on the Backlund line. Might it be a man named Sam
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #204
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/stat...on/c-287928354

Quote:
The Flames released the following statement regarding the suspension of Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk:

"While we are disappointed with the League's verdict, we nonetheless respect the process and that the League has issued its ruling. Both the Flames and Matthew accept the decision. Our sole focus now is on preparing for our game tonight in Washington, while Matthew will spend the next few days getting ready to return to the line-up on Saturday in St. Louis."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #205
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't need him for Washington anyway. Could use him against Nashville though.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #206
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I am pretty sure the Fonz was taking a jab at my post.

But i am serious. After watching the NHL's video i don't see it the way they, or you, do. I saw it as Tkachuk is getting ready for some contact on a contested puck. He throws his body back and his elbow comes up and hits Doughty in the chest and his shoulder hits Doughty's face.

That's just just the way i see it, don't lump the Fonz in with dolts like me.
It was a jab at fans (not just us) in general. We so desperately want to believe that it wasn't exactly what it appeared to be, that fans will go to great lengths to reason their way out of why a play isn't what it appears.

Tkachuk's elbow was a suspendable play, and he has to sit for 2 games as a result.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #207
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe this isn't true, but I've noticed that uncalled and unsuspended plays put bounties on players' heads. Once there's some sort of discipline, at least it feel like it has been 'dealt with' and they move on.

However, there are two remaining games against LA, who will more than likely be completely out of the playoff picture and pissed at the Flames for taking their spot. The only thing they have to 'fight' for is retribution. Especially if they call up some prospects at the end of the season, who are trying to make a name for themselves. I expect a very, very chippy last few games against LA.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #208
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should change the rule, and every single elbowing penalty 5 and game then.

Tkachuk's penalty, by the rulebook, is a 2 minute minor. Since when are two minute minors suspendable offences?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #209
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Tkachuk's penalty, by the rulebook, is a 2 minute minor. Since when are two minute minors suspendable offences?
Right about here?

Spoiler!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #210
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think that how you see the Tkachuk is sort of the 'Is the dress white/golf or blue/black". Clearly your allegiances may influence what you see, but I also think how you play hockey and how you think the game will influence what you see.

An aggressive player will try to preemptively initiate contact. That is what I would do playing hockey. I would not be as aggressive with my elbow, and that is what deserved a minor penalty (or major if you need).
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #211
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Maybe this isn't true, but I've noticed that uncalled and unsuspended plays put bounties on players' heads. Once there's some sort of discipline, at least it feel like it has been 'dealt with' and they move on.

However, there are two remaining games against LA, who will more than likely be completely out of the playoff picture and pissed at the Flames for taking their spot. The only thing they have to 'fight' for is retribution. Especially if they call up some prospects at the end of the season, who are trying to make a name for themselves. I expect a very, very chippy last few games against LA.
LA's pretty much packed it in this year, they have all the response of a corpse. I'm not too worried about them hunting heads.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #212
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Since forever. Some cross-checks are a 2 minute penalty and some are a 10 game suspension. Same with slashing and boarding.

I get that motivated reasoning is a powerful thing, but does this sort of incident actually wipe out the memories of fans?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #213
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

What??? Is this sarcasm or a joke?

So if a player deliberately high sticks another player in the head it should only be 2 minutes?

If a player elbows a player in the head it should be 2 minutes regardless of intent?

Give your head a shake, the amount of homerism in this thread is embarrassing.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #214
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post

So if a player deliberately high sticks another player in the head it should only be 2 minutes?

If a player elbows a player in the head it should be 2 minutes regardless of intent?

Take a deep breath, you seem pretty worked up.

This interwebs is serious business.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #215
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post

It's homerism to say a two minute penalty is a two minute penalty?

If the referee did not believe the elbowing minor deserved a major or match penalty, why should there be extra discipline? If the elbowing minor was indeed a major or a match, then extra punishment should be looked at. Just like a 2 minute minor for high sticking is never supplemented with discipline. If you get a major or a match penalty for a deliberate high stick to the head, then the league should and will look at further suspension. These are the rules of the NHL; it's not homerism.

Your arguments hold no water. Every slash is deliberate. Should every slashing minor be looked at for supplemental discipline because it was deliberate?

No real point though in laying out facts for you. Your emotionally charged opinions would never change no matter who or what facts are presented to you.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #216
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Take a deep breath, you seem pretty worked up.

This interwebs is serious business.
Hockeyguy15 meet Calgaryblood/Puckluck2/Iginla/Puckluck

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #217
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk has recently been a game time decision with a lower body injury so glass half full this a chance for him to get close to 100% if something is nagging injury wise.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #218
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I miss the days when a homer could be a homer without repercussions from their own teams fans.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #219
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I miss the days when a homer could be a homer without repercussions from their own teams fans.
We are all homers of varying degree. It was an obvious offense and some fans have kind of gone a little too far off the deep end in making excuses for it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #220
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The possible silver lining out of this? Tkachuk just recently missed a game with an injury, so if it is something that is nagging him a couple games of rest might not be the end of the world for him.
I hear he has a sore elbow.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post: