Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Life throws some big curve balls and now I am ready for some Flames playoffs!

Hey CP.
Not really sure where to post this. I have been laying pretty low since the Flames picked up Lazar. Not by choice but by what life had in store for us.
Only a few days later March 4 our daughter lost 20% of her body weight over the short span of 4 days. She was in a state where her body shut down and began to use up her natural body mass as a source of energy.
After rushing her the ACH we soon learned that her pancreas stopped producing insulin and she was quickly diagnosed with Juvenile type 1 Diabetes.
Which essentially means she is on insulin injections for the rest of her life. There is no cure for type 1 Juvenile Diabetes.
There is no cure only life management. It has been quite a challenge planning out all her meals and calculating the insulin needed. But we are coping and after a few weeks she gained her natural weight back.
It has been difficult understanding this as a week prior she playing in a basketball tournament.
As Ferris says life moves fast.

On March 6 we then lost our friend of 25 years to cancer that started with breast, spread to her lungs and then ultimately brain stem.
It has been really hard seeing my very best friend lose his wife of only 46 years young.

March 7 we lost my wife's Mother suddenly.
Naturally it has been once again difficult seeing my wife losing her Mother.

We were at 3 different Calgary hospitals in 3 days for 3 separate reasons.

Any one of this tragic events would be heavy enough but 3 in less than a week come on I know that it is said that the Lord only puts on you what he feels you can handle but he must think we have Hercules like shoulders I guess.

To say these events have both humbled and made me realize how vulrenable we are is an understatement.
I have popped by CP just to read stories and opinions it has been therapeutic.
It has been fantastic to see all three phases of the Flames come together,
Treliving, Gulutzen, and the players.
I was especially proud to see Gulutzen het fired up on the bench standing for his team!
Now everything will be right as rain if Brower can show some physical character. I mean the kid rookie Tkuchuk has shown more heart over the past week than Brower had all season. Guys like Backline, Frolik, and Stajan should not be forced to do what Brower won't. 6'4 225 of fluff.
With that being said we should be proud of this group all three phases. Absolutely incredible turn around.

Yes it has been very emotionaly taxing this past month for a our family and now I (we) are ready to turn a page for some theraputic Flames playoff hockey!

Also as a father I would like say a special heart felt thank you to the wonderful caring staff at the ACH they are truly special people and if anyone at CP works there thank you!
Thanks for letting me share.
D.
2ArmBands, 3rd line Grinder, 3thirty, AC, apiquard, Art Vandelay, ASP#26525, Azhouse, Backlunds_socks, bax, Baxter Renegade, bc-chris, bdubbs, Bear, BeltlineFan, Benched, Bend it like Bourgeois, Bezer, Biff, bluck, Boreal, Browndog71, bubbsy, Bunk, Burner, burnitdown, Cactus Jack, calgaryblood, calgarybornnraised, CalgaryFan1988, calgarywinning, cammy13, carom, CGY12, Chingas, christoph186, chummer, Cleveland Steam Whistle, ClubFlames, Coach, CofR, CrazyCaper, CroFlames, CsInMyBlood, CubicleGeek, cupofjoe, Cycling76er, D as in David, DaQwiz, darockwilder, darthma, dash_pinched, Delthefunky, DeluxeMoustache, Demaeon, devo22, Dion, Disco_Stu, Displaced Flames fan, dissentowner, djsFlames, Domoic, drewtastic, Ducay, dying4acup, Erick Estrada, EVERLAST, FacePaint, Fire, Fire in the disco, Flames89, Flamescuprun2018, flamesfever, Flamezzz, flame^thrower, Flashpoint, FlatLandFlamesFan, Freeway, fuffalo, Gaskal, Gaudfather, GC91, Gedman, getbak, Gondi Stylez, goodyear, Gravitykillr, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenHardHat, Greybeard, greyshep, Groot, guzzy, habernac, HalifaxDrunk, Har-Calgary, HitterD, Hockeyguy15, Hockey_Ninja, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, iamca, Iceman57, IgiTang, IgnitedSoul, Igottago, IliketoPuck, indes, Inferno099, Infinit47, Iniggywetrust, Isikiz, Itse, I_H8_Crawford, J79, jayswin, Jbo, jeffman, jeffporfirio, jg13, Jiggy_12, JiriHrdina, Joborule, Joe Nieuwendyk, Johnny Rotten, JohnnyTitan, keenan87, killer_carlson, Kipper is King, Kiran403, klikitiklik, kobasew19, KootenayFlamesFan, LChoy, Leeman4Gilmour, looooob, Loudog, M*A*S*H 4077, Machiavelli, manwiches, mdubz, mikeecho, MikePatton, mile, Mony, Mr_Pilot, My2Cents, N-E-B, Nehkara, nieuwy-89, nwflamesfan, Nyah, oilyfan, OldSam, oldschoolcalgary, Patek23, Phaneufenstein, PostandIn, psyang, Puppet Guy, Radio, redflamesfan08, RedHotC, Redliner, Rejean31, roberts10, Robo, rogermexico, Roof-Daddy, rotten42, Rubber Ducky, Rubicant, Ruttiger, savardandjokinen, Savvy27, Scoutski, SeanCharles, SeeGeeWhy, sempuki, Shawn_Cronin44, Slava, slybomb, smiggy77, SmoggyFlamesFan, smoothessence, socalwingfan, SOMBRI2, Stillman16, Stochansky, stone hands, StrykerSteve, Stupid, Super-Rye, SuperMatt18, surferguy, Table 5, The Big Chill, the2bears, TheCommodoreAfro, TheScorpion, Titan, tknez16, Toonage, TopChed, totti_07, transplant99, Travis Munroe, tripin_billie, tvp2003, UKflames, undercoverbrother, VictoryJuice, Vinny01, Wiggum_PI, wireframe, Wolfman, worth, wwkayaker, YYC-Solo, zukes, zuluking
Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow. Vibes for you and your family.
GFG
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry to hear man, I hope you find some peace in these trying times

Hopefully the flames will give you something to keep your mind off of life for longer than a week!
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Incredibly sorry to hear; hopefully the Flames will give your family a welcome distraction with a lengthy post season! GFG!
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanked for a little bit of well needed perspective.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus christ man

The Flames owe you at least one series win. That's a tough stretch.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry sincerely for your various hardships and losses, I know this is a difficult time, but this group is a promising team no matter how far they finish in the post-season. Like you said, incredible turnaround.

Respect, thoughts, and positive vibes to you and your family. I hope the boys can go far if only for you and this city! #ForStayGolden
Old 04-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you for your kindness.
I felt very vulnerable posting that it was hard to write. I shared this with my wife we had tears welled up.
Seriously u have no idea what this means to us!
Old 04-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

All the best to you and your family....truly.

Thats a lot to absorb. Stay strong.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Thank you for sharing, it takes courage to do that. I think these personal stories help put things in perspective for a lot of readers too and reminds me personally to be grateful for the things that are going well in my life.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow man. I have few words. Just the thought of something happening to my children is dreadful. A friend and a parent so suddenly, unreal. Best wishes to you, your wife, and your daughter.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #13
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

No person deserves to go through what you have experienced. My sincerest condolences and wishes for a prosperous future.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Stay golden, man.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blarg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #15
Texas Flames Fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow thanks for sharing. I have a good friend with type 1 Juvenile Diabetes. He lives a normal life and I hope that your daughter does the same.
Texas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #16
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Thank you for sharing, it takes courage to do that. I think these personal stories help put things in perspective for a lot of readers too and reminds me personally to be grateful for the things that are going well in my life.

You got that right!

Cube huh, nice Silver&Black RFL...
Tre to Dough regarding the loss of his brother " hey Dough, you still got one brother left man" "
thanks man"
Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

*hug*
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #18
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey Stay Golden

wow - that's sucks... like really sucks. i feel for you, i really do. my dad's health continues to deteriorate and it's really hard knowing he'll be gone soon. i'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to him for the last time (it's even difficult to type that without tearing up).

having your child's health go south in such a short amount of time can be devastating - i've been thru that too...thankfully my girl is fine now.
as tough as it is adjusting to life with type 1 juvenile diabetes it's totally doable and manageable. one of my good buddies has a son with diabetes. i'm sure he'd be willing to chat with you if you'd like. if you want, send me a pm and i'll get the two of you in touch
Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
streetglide
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Thank you for your kindness.
I felt very vulnerable posting that it was hard to write. I shared this with my wife we had tears welled up.
Seriously u have no idea what this means to us!
Pretty sure some of the people reading your post also had tears well up...

Thank you for your courage and you were right to post this here. Stay strong buddy. We all need to remember what's really important...
streetglide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to streetglide For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it rains, it pours. Jeez.

All the best to your family.

Tags
ach , challenges , playoffs. , rip beccy pearl , tragedy