Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #201
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good for those women. 70k as we know pales in comparison to what the average poster on this board makes and with the costs of living going steadily upwards this is basically just a living wage.

It's a good deal, and clearly, the money was there to give them.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #202
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Good for those women. 70k as we know pales in comparison to what the average poster on this board makes and with the costs of living going steadily upwards this is basically just a living wage.

It's a good deal, and clearly, the money was there to give them.
I tend to think that money comes out of other budgets for woman's hockey like development camps etc for younger players.

Hey the girls got what they wanted and good for them.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #203
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

70K USD and no real reason to live in an urban center?

These girls hit the jackpot. Hopefully the money didn't come from membership dues.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #204
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Jeez, they make more than CFL players now. That is a joke.
More like CFL salaries are a joke IMO. I know a couple players personally and it's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Sounds like USA Hockey got taken for a ride on this one.

Also, sounds like literally every player USA Hockey reached out to to play on the replacement players' team told them to pound sand.
Could it be that it's hard to find people who are capable of playing at that level but also willing to work full time for what they were paying before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Holy hell!!

Where did all that money come from?

$70K per year to play like 15 meaningful games a decade?
I took a quick look at the USA Hockey consolidated financials. The $1m or so that this costs is about 2% of revenues, if I got the right figures.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #205
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
70K USD and no real reason to live in an urban center?

These girls hit the jackpot. Hopefully the money didn't come from membership dues.
It'll be interesting to see, but if we're talking what 20 players at 70k of 1.4 million dollars.

I looked at USA Hockey they bring in about 26 million in registration fees
They spend a total of 4 million per year on national team development and about 3 million a year on player development

in terms of junior hockey programs for boys and girls they spend about half a million for youth hockey they spend about 3/4 of a million.

last year I think that lost about 3 million in cash. But I'm no accountant so a lot of their consolidated financial statements are mars to be.

but spending an additional 1.4 million is serious money to this organization, I would expect that they are going to cut back on development programs or jack up registration or a combination of both.

I would also maybe expect that after the 2018 they don't bring together a national team anymore, they just grab players a month before major tournaments and then bring them together for an Olympic year.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #206
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
More like CFL salaries are a joke IMO. I know a couple players personally and it's ridiculous.

Could it be that it's hard to find people who are capable of playing at that level but also willing to work full time for what they were paying before?

I took a quick look at the USA Hockey consolidated financials. The $1m or so that this costs is about 2% of revenues, if I got the right figures.
No I'm seeing the same thing, however it looks like the revenues are about 42 million the expenses are 35 million but the two major components of revenue are registration fees and a non increasing grant of 8 million dollars. Overall it looks like they're increasing their cash position by about 5 million dollars a year in non olympic years. So adding 1.4 million dollars a year for salary expenses is going to hurt and make them increase revenues.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #207
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
No I'm seeing the same thing, however it looks like the revenues are about 42 million the expenses are 35 million but the two major components of revenue are registration fees and a non increasing grant of 8 million dollars. Overall it looks like they're increasing their cash position by about 5 million dollars a year in non olympic years. So adding 1.4 million dollars a year for salary expenses is going to hurt and make them increase revenues.
It is entirely possible, though, that USA Hockey can raise an additional million per year in sponsorships dedicated to the senior women's team. If I'm them, I have the deal structured to require players to participate in any such marketing tie-ins. For outside organizations, a few hundred K is not a huge hit in sponsorship dough. You might get some companies aimed at women's products interested.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #208
MontanaFlame
Draft Pick

USA Hockey currently lists 622,883 registered members. Even if they wanted to cover the $1.4 million entirely through increased fees they would need to increase them by a whopping $2.25. I need to register with USA Hockey to play in the local beer league and my annual membership fee is $40. They could easily raise it to $45 and I wouldn't bat an eye, I doubt any one would. I'm sure they won't even need to do that as they could find the money somewhere else, but my point is $1.4 million isn't really that much to this organization
MontanaFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #209
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Doesn't matter. The salaries of the players should be paid for by the money they generate, not the mom's and dad's trying to put their kid through hockey.

Want to pool all the money that both national teams generate? Cool. Taking money from grassroots to pay these girls a salary that's $20 grand more than the average american makes is nuts.

Last edited by polak; 03-29-2017 at 02:15 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #210
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaFlame View Post
USA Hockey currently lists 622,883 registered members. Even if they wanted to cover the $1.4 million entirely through increased fees they would need to increase them by a whopping $2.25. I need to register with USA Hockey to play in the local beer league and my annual membership fee is $40. They could easily raise it to $45 and I wouldn't bat an eye, I doubt any one would. I'm sure they won't even need to do that as they could find the money somewhere else, but my point is $1.4 million isn't really that much to this organization
I get that, but at the same time, suddenly the woman's team salary is double that of development in youth and junior hockey and in terms of hockey related expenses becomes one of the bigger expenses on the books.

Let me put this another way the consolidated payroll for the entire hockey USA last year was just slightly above a million dollars.

Now your adding another 1.4 million dollars.

In terms of national team development hockey USA spent 4 million now you have to add 1.4 million to that just for the woman's hockey team.

The question is going to be after this Olympics. Is it worth it, is the profile of the sport improving. And do we basically pay the girls players half of the national team development budget.

I would expect that the question of keeping woman's hockey in the olympics is going to be debated if this is another Godzilla and Mothra versus Bambi tournament, especially now that the woman are for a lack of better words professionals.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #211
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
USA Hockey was just looking for players for the tournament that starts Friday. As in, they couldn't find anyone willing to, essentially, cross a picket line for a two week trip to the world championships.

Also, the USA Today article doesn't articulate it well, but that $70k figure include money they could receive from the USOC for winning Olympic medals. That's not entirely paid for by USA Hockey.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #212
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would expect that the question of keeping woman's hockey in the olympics is going to be debated if this is another Godzilla and Mothra versus Bambi tournament, especially now that the woman are for a lack of better words professionals.
You are conflating two issues. The IOC and IIHF don't care about USA Hockey's internal battles. This deal won't have even the slightest impact on the status of women's hockey in the Olympics.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #213
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I do agree but guys like me had to make a decision to either push it to make the CFL, or give it up and use the education that we received a substantial discount on and get a real job. We had to make a decision based on market conditions, this is why this doesn't sit well with me.
Red_Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #214
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do agree but guys like me had to make a decision to either push it to make the CFL, or give it up and use the education that we received a substantial discount on and get a real job. We had to make a decision based on market conditions, this is why this doesn't sit well with me.
You do realize that what these women are getting has absolutely zero impact on CFL players one way or the other?

I really fail to see the point of this kind of jealousy.

Last edited by Itse; 03-29-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #215
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
You do realize that what these women are getting has absolutely zero impact on CLF players one way or the other?

I really fail to see the point of this kind of jealousy.
Bottom line is the cfl is an actual revenue producing business with salaries dictated by market conditions, the women's world championships is not. Last year the attendance was 41,000 over 21 games. At $25 per ticket, that wouldn't even cover the US team's new wages, let alone the other teams there.

Last edited by Red_Baron; 03-29-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #216
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bottom line is the cfl is an actual revenue producing business with salaries dictated by market conditions, the women's world championships is not. Last year the attendance was 41,000 over 21 games.
What has any of that got to do with anything?

Again, these are completely separate finances for completely separate players.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #217
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
What has any of that got to do with anything?

Again, these are completely separate finances for completely separate players.
Perhaps you are right, the cfl is an actual business, women's hockey is a social program. Sorry for the confusion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #218
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps you are right, the cfl is an actual business, women's hockey is a social program. Sorry for the confusion

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #219
KingMoo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Bottom line is the cfl is an actual revenue producing business with salaries dictated by market conditions, the women's world championships is not. Last year the attendance was 41,000 over 21 games. At $25 per ticket, that wouldn't even cover the US team's new wages, let alone the other teams there.
im with you on this one. I understand that some subsidies are required to keep the program afloat, but 100k plus expenses is well above and beyond what they deserve. Many pro sport players contribute in teams that turn a profit, yet they get a much lower salary. Worst part is now the path is paved for other women's programs to basically unionize and threaten to quit unless they receive their handouts too.
KingMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KingMoo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #220
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if this settlement sets the bar for the Men's Hockey team that will need funding in a few months when the NHL teams don't go to the Olympics. If you want a full time team you are competing with the AHL and Europe for players so will have to pay them.

Also for those who wanted them to get Market value, that is exactly what they did. USA hockey has decided that the value of having a Womens National team is worth at least 1 million dollars more than they were currently paying. You are worth exactly as much as someone is willing to pay you.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote