Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 5 Kings 2

http://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/03/g...mes-5-kings-2/
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Curtis Lazar: how to get yourself noticed with only 10 minutes of ice time.

Loved the jam. Loved that he took a Martinez stick to the face but came up smiling like a madman – this obviously means so much to the kid. Loved the takeaway and assist for the empty net goal.

He could be a fun asset to have for the stretch run. Nothing beats a bit of youthful enthusiasm.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Liked the Elliot call for clutch. He was outstanding tonight with some saves when the Kings were pressing hard in the second.

Everything else is bang on. Lazar made some good plays and was noticeable.

I had to think the Tcachuk elbow was a message. Also, what may have been missed is when he was elbowed back hard, Gio came in like a beast... he was ready to destroy. I liked that ferocity he brought to the issue. Gio is definitely back in form, some stellar plays and goals.

Gaudreau was everywhere tonight, mixing it up in fine style.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #4
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames may be very happy at contract time that Elliott had such a rough October. Remember that knuckle puck from center ice in Vancouver? …
Wasn't that two losses ago?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's weird how Brouwer-Versteeg keep ending up on the poor end of advanced stats, they don't put up a lot of points, get loads of flak from the fan-base and yet that line got the most ice time for the team. Versteeg ended up over 18 minutes and 3 point Johnny/Money didn't even break 15.

I don't know to take that. Is GG resting his guys with the lead, is it trust and ability of the veterans to shut down the game in the third or crazy pills. It seemed to work and I tend to think this is the time of the year where that experience makes a difference on winning games over scoring points, but I just can't understand why you basically bench your top line when they are putting up points like that.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
It's weird how Brouwer-Versteeg keep ending up on the poor end of advanced stats, they don't put up a lot of points, get loads of flak from the fan-base and yet that line got the most ice time for the team. Versteeg ended up over 18 minutes and 3 point Johnny/Money didn't even break 15.

I don't know to take that. Is GG resting his guys with the lead, is it trust and ability of the veterans to shut down the game in the third or crazy pills. It seemed to work and I tend to think this is the time of the year where that experience makes a difference on winning games over scoring points, but I just can't understand why you basically bench your top line when they are putting up points like that.
I think with Versteeg and Brouwer they just have not found a fit on this team with any particular line, hence why you see a "spare parts" line of 3 veterans, these two with Stajan.

However, come playoff time, veteran savvy may come in handy. Maybe try Versteeg with Bennett and Lazar to see if he can work well with those two guys, but Brouwer just hasn't clicked.

His signing is reminiscent of Mason Raymond - signed to provide middle 6 depth, but made redundant by emerging prospects. I liked the signing back in summer, but see less to like about it now as he has not settled in well. I think he gets exposed so Lazar can be protected. Then the Flames likely get out of that contract without having to worry about carrying a lot of cap hit in the bottom 6.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post

Versteeg doesn't seem like the guy who is dragging that down, it's definitely Brouwer. There was one possession in the second period where Brouwer had a chance to carry the puck out at the half boards or pass back to the D and inexplicably tries to chip it out, it turns into a turn over with Engelland bailing him out and calmly moving the puck forward.

Versteeg doesn't seem to be the problem, plays are just dying on Brouwer's stick, and he's not making the smart play.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ran out of thanks, but very nice write-up Bingo. Thank you.

This team is just amazing right now. Playoffs are ours to lose at this time. 6 more wins to go.
jaikorven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Versteeg doesn't seem like the guy who is dragging that down, it's definitely Brouwer. There was one possession in the second period where Brouwer had a chance to carry the puck out at the half boards or pass back to the D and inexplicably tries to chip it out, it turns into a turn over with Engelland bailing him out and calmly moving the puck forward.

Versteeg doesn't seem to be the problem, plays are just dying on Brouwer's stick, and he's not making the smart play.
That's my hunch too, though those WOWY charts don't show Versteeg as a play driver with anyone either.

So does this come down to optics with a free agent signing? Or is this keeping the guy that is known as a playoff guy in the mix heading towards April?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
kermitology

Exp:

Yeah, that makes sense, he doesn't drive the possession, but he doesn't seem to lose it like Brouwer does.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was it just an overlap in line changes or did Versteeg join Lazar & Sam's line late in the game? I do like the speed & energy that type of line can bring.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Was it just an overlap in line changes or did Versteeg join Lazar & Sam's line late in the game? I do like the speed & energy that type of line can bring.

I noticed that too.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That's my hunch too, though those WOWY charts don't show Versteeg as a play driver with anyone either.

So does this come down to optics with a free agent signing? Or is this keeping the guy that is known as a playoff guy in the mix heading towards April?
If the goal is to get rid of Brouwer, they can't healthy scratch him. Hawks did that with Bickell and ended up having to package him with Teravainen just to get rid of the anchor. i would hate to lose Jankowski just because we signed Brouwer but that is looking like a very real possibility.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Versteeg might not drive play, but he has been good on the power play and money in the shootout and his contract is dirt cheap. As long as he isn't a complete black hole at 5 on 5 he has a place on this team.

Brouwer though... I was down to my last straw with Gulutzan and then he got the Flames turned around, so I don't want to completely give up on Brouwer yet. But he needs to start stepping it up over these last 10 games and be a big positive in the playoffs.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
If the goal is to get rid of Brouwer, they can't healthy scratch him. Hawks did that with Bickell and ended up having to package him with Teravainen just to get rid of the anchor. i would hate to lose Jankowski just because we signed Brouwer but that is looking like a very real possibility.
Hyperbole is strong with this one. The Flames are not trading a top prospect to get rid of Brouwer's contract.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I just bumped the Brouwer topic with this but he was right on his career average until he got hurt. He's been 25% of that since.

He's not 100% in my mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: