Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #201
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I really want to see him get to about 220 lbs. I think if he doesn't put muscle on the frame he'll wear out early like Bouma seems to be doing.
Not even close. Two completely differen styles of play,
Old 02-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #202
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
It's pretty sad this rookie is 2nd in team points. I mean the kid is a stud, but it goes to show how bad Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett have been this year.
The same Monahan who is the youngest Flame to reach 100 goals, 6th youngest to reach that mark amongst current NHLers, and has 20 goals this season?

Why not say how great it is to have a rookie performing as well as Tkachuk is, especially after how poor the Flames 1st rounders performed for so many years? I've been pretty excited to see the Flames draft Monahan, Bennett, and Tkachuk, and see they are doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #203
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
He's 3rd on the team in points per game (0.71) behind Gaudreau and Backlund. League-wide, he'd be 3rd or better on 20 other teams, including St. Louis, Nashville, San Jose, Anaheim, Edmonton, Montreal and the NY Islanders. I wouldn't call it sad that he's 2nd on the team in points when he's having as good a year as he's had. Is it sad for Toronto that a rookie is 1st in points? And Gaudreau, with all his struggles, still comfortably leads the team in points per game; he's only farther back due to his injury.
3 of Toronto's top 5 scorers are rookies. That's just tragic.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #204
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really want to see him get to about 220 lbs. I think if he doesn't put muscle on the frame he'll wear out early like Bouma seems to be doing.
Bouma is grinder, Tkachuk is an elite level talent who pushes around grown men already. His muscle will come naturally and 220 is pretty big for a guy who is listed at 188 cm. 210-215 is ideal for him while continuing to improve his skating. Tkachuk doesn't throw nearly as many hits as Bouma used to. A better comparable would be looking at Perry's career and how he is possibly dropping off now. Tkachuk has an engine along the boards that is pretty remarkable for his age and he already seems to be very strong already. Using Bouma's career to project Tkachuk's is pretty laughable as Tkachuks game is much more advanced while his body takes less punishment. Tkachuk doesn't play like a crash and banger, he gets under the oppositions nerves and takes a couple jabs to the face but he's not damaging his body. If anything Tkachuk seems to play a game that will lead to longevity, he's this good while he doesn't rely on his skating, which many other young players who break into the league at his age do. He also has been able to play through injuries and play at a very high level, just go look at the memorial cup when he was playing on a bum ankle.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-25-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #205
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
210-215 is ideal for him while continuing to improve his skating.
That's how I see it too. Ferland is listed at 6'2" 208 lbs and Tkachuk is listed at 6'2" and 202 lbs. Add another 10 lbs or so over the next 2-3 years while adding a little speed and quickness. He'll be an absolute beast.

With his soft hands and already great board work, he's going to be fun too watch.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #206
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Matthew is such an impressive player but allot of us forget his linemates.

I don't know if it's just Frolik and Backlund because they too were getting it done last year and this year we get everything out of that line.

Versitile. Wow. Power play, penalty kills, 5 on 5 they are make me pay attention .

Agreed I don't think we'll see Matthews ceiling for years but I'm telling ya boy do I enjoy watching that line and the magic .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #207
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't using Bouma as a career projection rather a physical projection.

Tkachuk needs to get bigger. I don't think he needs to get to 240 like his old man. I don't think 210 is big enough. I think 220 is the right size, especially if he adds a half inch or more in height.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #208
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is just going to naturally grow into a bigger man over the next few years here; I think he finishes at 6'3 225 lbs by the time he's 21 and with the way he plays already I think that's a fearsome thought. Dude us a wrecking ball on the ice but plays the offensive side of the game with amazing delicacy.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #209
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Matthew is such an impressive player but allot of us forget his linemates.

I don't know if it's just Frolik and Backlund because they too were getting it done last year and this year we get everything out of that line.

Versitile. Wow. Power play, penalty kills, 5 on 5 they are make me pay attention .

Agreed I don't think we'll see Matthews ceiling for years but I'm telling ya boy do I enjoy watching that line and the magic .
Obviously he's been lucky to play with 2 excellent 2 way players but honestly Tkachuk is a massive reason why Backlund and Frolik are having the years they are having. I say this with no disrespect to Frolik but Tkachuk is already the superior player. I would have no problem using him on the PK. I agree that Tkachuks development will be very intriguing and gets me so excited. I've said it a lot on this thread but if his skating improves... wow. We got very very lucky.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-25-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #210
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earlier in the year, Backlund and Frolik were carrying Tkachuk somewhat, but for the last month or so, I would argue that Tkachuk has been better than Frolik.

Backlund has been flat out awesome all year.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #211
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't using Bouma as a career projection rather a physical projection.

Tkachuk needs to get bigger. I don't think he needs to get to 240 like his old man. I don't think 210 is big enough. I think 220 is the right size, especially if he adds a half inch or more in height.
Based on the recent photos of Keith enjoying retirement, I don't think he was playing at 240 because it allowed him to be the best NHL player he could be.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #212
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Earlier in the year, Backlund and Frolik were carrying Tkachuk somewhat, but for the last month or so, I would argue that Tkachuk has been better than Frolik.

Backlund has been flat out awesome all year.
I would argue Tkachuk has been better than Frolik since December. Really not trying to disrespect the play of Frolik, he's been excellent. No one is carried on that line, all 3 make eachother better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #213
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Tkachuk is just going to naturally grow into a bigger man over the next few years here; I think he finishes at 6'3 225 lbs by the time he's 21 and with the way he plays already I think that's a fearsome thought. Dude us a wrecking ball on the ice but plays the offensive side of the game with amazing delicacy.
225 is pretty massive man especially if it's all muscle, Perry is an inch taller and 210-215, I mean Getzlaf is listed at 221. Tkachuk has wide frame like his dad so I guess he could bulk up a lot but 210-215 is where I think he will play his best at. He's already a really strong guy, 220+ is overkill and probably effect his skating.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #214
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
225 is pretty massive man especially if it's all muscle, Perry is an inch taller and 210-215, I mean Getzlaf is listed at 221. Tkachuk has wide frame like his dad so I guess he could bulk up a lot but 210-215 is where I think he will play his best at. He's already a really strong guy, 220+ is overkill and probably effect his skating.
Buff is 428 pounds and he skates OK.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #215
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Now that we've seen almost a full season of Tkachuk, who are some of the best comparables for how he plays and what type of player he will turn into?

He reminds me a bit of Todd Bertuzzi in his prime years as well as Corey Perry. A rare blend of size, skill, and grit that loves getting into peoples faces.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #216
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously he's been lucky to play with 2 excellent 2 way players but honestly Tkachuk is a massive reason why Backlund and Frolik are having the years they are having. I say this with no disrespect to Frolik but Tkachuk is already the superior player. I would have no problem using him on the PK. I agree that Tkachuks development will be very intriguing and gets me so excited. I've said it a lot on this thread but if his skating improves... wow. We got very very lucky.

Several times he has flipped the puck to Backlund in confined spaces for goals.
To do it in traffic at the spur of the moment at a high rate of speed is impressive. On one play I recall he gets pushed down behind the net, gets up with a guy draped on his back and still passed the puck to an open player. He takes the hits, make the plays and instinctively heads to the net even to jump on his own rebounds.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #217
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Now that we've seen almost a full season of Tkachuk, who are some of the best comparables for how he plays and what type of player he will turn into?

He reminds me a bit of Todd Bertuzzi in his prime years as well as Corey Perry. A rare blend of size, skill, and grit that loves getting into peoples faces.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #218
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with the red wings jersey!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #219
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp: