Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked Ramo, I thought he could have been something really good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #102
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Best goalie outside the NHL!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #103
marchmallow
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I really liked Ramo, I thought he could have been something really good.
I agree with this, he gets unfairly lumped in with Hiller and the like as examples of our bad goaltending of recent years but I think he was a solid goalie for us. In fact I thought he was improving over time as he learned the league more, and if he hadn't gotten hurt he could have likely reached the level of a true #1. He was playing lights out before the injury happened, I thought he played a bit like Kipper in style so the comparisons were actually kind of apt.
marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #104
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hartley clearly favoured Hiller and it really held Ramo back in my mind. I remember almost pulling my hair out how he'd go back to Hiller time and time again the minute Ramo faltered. Hiller could let a goal from center ice, and he'd always get a second chance the night after.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #105
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Ramo a helluva lot more than Elliott. If he wasn't injured so badly I would have been happy to re-sign him for last year with a decent backup like Johnson.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #106
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I liked Ramo and even liked Ortio and think it was bad luck and management that screwed up. Ramo lost his form with the injury and had no contract while Ortio lost his confidence.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #107
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah, I liked Ramo and even liked Ortio and think it was bad luck and management that screwed up. Ramo lost his form with the injury and had no contract while Ortio lost his confidence.
Do you think Ortio was really ever that good? I am just not that convinced he was ever all that. Maybe its the ultimate we'll never know.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #108
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Hartley clearly favoured Hiller and it really held Ramo back in my mind. I remember almost pulling my hair out how he'd go back to Hiller time and time again the minute Ramo faltered. Hiller could let a goal from center ice, and he'd always get a second chance the night after.
I disliked Hiller as much as the next guy, but I don't believe this is altogether fair. Rämo started 19 of 24 games between 15 Dec and when he was injured on 11 Feb, including seven starts after a loss. Your recollection is wrong—before the end of Dec 2015 Rämo had clearly solidified his position as the Flames starting goalie; there is no need to exaggerate the facts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #109
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Do you think Ortio was really ever that good? I am just not that convinced he was ever all that. Maybe its the ultimate we'll never know.
I bought into the Ortio hype only as much as he was the goalie next in line to have his shot, and I wanted to see him get it. I remember a development camp where he looked particularly atrocious, as one of the older players in attendance, letting in softies from 40 feet out, and displaying very poor body language. At that point, I was on the side of 'he's not an NHL player'.

Ortio wasn't good enough to earn starts from Bob Hartley in a season where Jonas Hiller had a sub .880 save %. That's nobody's fault but Ortio. If you can't convince your coach in practice that you're better than a checked out Hiller or a 38 year old Backstrom, you don't belong in the NHL. Hartley would've rather played Ramo's one-legged corpse than Joni Ortio. That says it all.