Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #21
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
By the way, there was a discussion in another thread about Hamilton (after Ferraro was ragging about him not getting 60 pts) which led to a discussion about how many Dmen actually hit 60 pts...

The answer (in recent years) is 2 to 4 per year, typically.

Brodie's current PPG now puts him on a 62 point pace
Imagine the boost he would get if he were the go to guy on the powerplay, and if the powerplay didn't stink.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if he appeared on a few ballots. Love his game, but he's not at that top level just yet.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Anyone who is still having that conversation is out of date.
Are they? Brodie's amazing but there's other amazing d-men in the league too. Saying he's top 10 easily may be a matter of underrating some of the other guys.

Doughty
Hedman
Keith
Josi
Karlsson
Burns
Weber
Subban
Ekman-Larsson
Giordano
Klingberg
Letang
Brodie
Barrie
Suter
Byfuglien
McDonagh
Ekblad
Pietrangelo
Seabrook

Which of those are the top 10 in the league? It's not so simple a list to make IMO. I think Brodie is easily in the conversation. Is he easily in the top 10? It's an interesting discussion that is very relevant to this thread. You believe he is, convince us!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #24
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karlsson should be a lock for the Norris this year. That being said Johnny made him look like a chump.
That's just how slick #13 is.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #25
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Karlsson should be a lock for the Norris this year.
No he shouldn't.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #26
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Brodie and think he's the Flames' best player (even better then JG). But anyone who thinks he'll be getting a sniff of the Norris trophy this season has a serious case of the Homer Simpsons going on.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie is fantastic- deserves to be on the World Cup squad. Not a Norris candidate right now IMO. Still too many better all around defensemen, starting with Drew Doughty.

As Flames fans, we need to be asking why the team is not more dominant when he and Gio are on the ice together.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #28
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Karlsson should be a lock for the Norris this year.
Disagree. He's the best offenseman but far from being anywhere near the best overall defenseman. Plenty of guys you'd take over him if you want to win the Cup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #29
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Yeah it's very hard to award the best D award to a team with the most goals given up.
3rd worst, actually. Who is behind them? Arizona, Columbus, and... Ottawa.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
No he shouldn't.
He shouldn't be but he is.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope. It's going to be Karlsson and it should be Karlsson. The notion that Karlsson is some sort of defensive liability is laughable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #32
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Nope. It's going to be Karlsson and it should be Karlsson. The notion that Karlsson is some sort of defensive liability is laughable.
It's going to be Karlsson because of his offensive game, not because of his defensive game. That's what fans have an issue with and why the Norris is a joke.

He's scoring all these points and his team is absolute trash that can't win games.

Doughty scores less but his team is great and he's one of the most valuable parts of the team alongside the goalie and #1 center. Yet he's only been nominated for the Norris trophy one time.

I think 95% of educated hockey fans would take Doughty over Karlsson.

Last edited by Bandwagon In Flames; 03-01-2016 at 03:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #33
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
There is a huge gap between someone saying he is a liability and saying he doesn't deserve the trophy for best all around defenseman
Old 03-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #34
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
It's going to be Karlsson because of his offensive game, not because of his defensive game. That's what fans have an issue with and why the Norris is a joke.

He's scoring all these points and his team is absolute trash that can't win games.

Doughty scores less but his team is great and he's one of the most valuable parts of the team alongside the goalie and #1 center. Yet he's only been nominated for the Norris trophy one time.

I would doubt that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #35
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'll take Karlson. Doughty's come in the league every 3-5 years. Karlson's come into the league every decade or two.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #36
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
start laughing because he often costs his team goals against...he is not horrible but he is also not good defensively
Old 03-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by educated, but nope.

He's going to win it for offense, but the best d-man in the league is the guy who most contributes to his team outscoring the opposition when he's on the ice. In the NHL right now, that's Karlsson.

Even if you could justify Doughty being significantly better at preventing goals (which there is no good evidence for), the offensive production gap - Karlsson's ability to generate offense for his team - completely dwarfs any defensive difference you could come up with.

Drew Doughty is a fantastic defenseman. Erik Karlsson has a chance to be the best offensive defenseman since Orr, and even though that's the primary part of his game, he's no slouch at keeping the other guys off the scoreboard, either, for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with his ability to bodycheck people.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #38
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Disagree. He's the best offenseman but far from being anywhere near the best overall defenseman. Plenty of guys you'd take over him if you want to win the Cup.
That's a good assessment of Karlsson, but "a defenseman best suited for a team to want the defenseman on their team to help the team win the Stanley Cup" isn't the Norris criteria either.

I'd prefer to see more all-around defensemen like Doughty or Kieth or even Ekblad to be considered, but Karlsson is probably the frontrunner based solely on his scoring prowess this season. It's not necessarily right, but realistically that's probably how things shake out at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
3rd worst, actually. Who is behind them? Arizona, Columbus, and... Ottawa.
Heading into tonight's games, the Flames have allowed more total goals and more goals per game than the Senators.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 03-01-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #39
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Are they? Brodie's amazing but there's other amazing d-men in the league too. Saying he's top 10 easily may be a matter of underrating some of the other guys.

Doughty
Hedman
Keith
Josi
Karlsson
Burns
Weber
Subban
Ekman-Larsson
Giordano
Klingberg
Letang
Brodie
Barrie
Suter
Byfuglien
McDonagh
Ekblad
Pietrangelo
Seabrook

Which of those are the top 10 in the league? It's not so simple a list to make IMO. I think Brodie is easily in the conversation. Is he easily in the top 10? It's an interesting discussion that is very relevant to this thread. You believe he is, convince us!
Factoring in contract status is the only way I would have Brodie top 10, all things considered I still think he is a sure fire top 20 Dman in the world
Old 03-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #40
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I'll take Karlson. Doughty's come in the league every 3-5 years. Karlson's come into the league every decade or two.
LA wouldn't trade Doughty for Karlson
Closed Thread