Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 10-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #241
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really loved Lazar in the post game where he mentioned he was a little slow out of the gate, but the media was more worried about that than he was. We might just have a player here. His confidence is starting to come back.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #242
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It'll burn him a few times, no question. I feel it's worth it overall
I hope you're right, of course, and want Smith to have the best season in his entire career.

Two things Smith did really bothered me yesterday: first, he was out to the left of the left post and passing the puck in front of an empty net with Scheifele's stick missing it by a few inches for an easy tap-in goal; second, he swings at the flying puck with his glove like it's a tennis racket for a really wild (and loud) rebound instead of simply catching it. Both instances could have/should have resulted in goals. Neither instance is an attribute of an active goaltending style; but rather impulsive decisions. I am sure Sigalet will be working with Smith on these.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #243
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Two things Smith did really bothered me yesterday: first, he was out to the left of the left post and passing the puck in front of an empty net with Scheifele's stick missing it by a few inches for an easy tap-in goal; second, he swings at the flying puck with his glove like it's a tennis racket for a really wild (and loud) rebound instead of simply catching it. Both instances could have/should have resulted in goals. Neither instance is an attribute of an active goaltending style; but rather impulsive decisions. I am sure Sigalet will be working with Smith on these.
Smith has always looked somewhat erratic and jittery when he is playing the puck, but they have worked for him all the way to the NHL. Not sure if this is something that can be fixed. There is some risk in his style, but just like last night, the team benefited way more from his unique style. There are certainly going to be some errors, but that is the gamble.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #244
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Rewatching the game now.

What was with the linesman power-tripping on the faceoff after the Laine goal?

Stajan gets kicked out, so Brouwer comes in. Then the Jet jumps early and falls, and doesn't get kicked out. Brouwer is visibly asking the linesman why not and he throws the puck down angrily for an easy faceoff win for the Jet while Brouwer is still talking to him.
I noticed that too. It was bizarre how many Flames were kicked out of the circle, and the total numbers of faceoffs (14) taken by wingers Ferland, Frolik, Versteeg and Brouwer back that up. I know they're cracking down on faceoff rules, did somebody not tell the Flames centres? At that point maybe the linesman had become so frustrated with the Flames. Regardless, a potentially important issue moving forward as they are calling penalties for faceoff infractions, and I'd generally prefer our centres to take the faceoffs.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #245
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Puck handling mistakes aside I for one am glad Tre brought Smith to the Flames family.
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #246
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did we get a post-game Dougie Bomb last night??
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #247
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
HNIC broadcasts are too eager to cut away to the panel, this time to talk about Edmonton/Vancouver ASAP.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #248
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Nope just a pre-game Jagr Bomb!
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #249
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Sorry for the wait!
I really can't believe you do this every win - it's really such a pleasure to read the salt, the complaints, the WTFs....so if we have to wait a while because you're at the game....oh well.

Thanks for the fun!
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post: