Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, not really. Somewhat more offensive bent and maybe not as physical, but the notion that Gudbranson was a pure defensive defenseman never made much sense anyway. Matheson might become better than Gudbranson - actually, I'd say he probably will, maybe as soon as this season - but at this point based on past results, there's not much daylight between them as players.

I'd take Matheson, but not for 1.3M more AAV.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #22
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Nah, not really. Somewhat more offensive bent and maybe not as physical, but the notion that Gudbranson was a pure defensive defenseman never made much sense anyway. Matheson might become better than Gudbranson - actually, I'd say he probably will, maybe as soon as this season - but at this point based on past results, there's not much daylight between them as players.

I'd take Matheson, but not for 1.3M more AAV.
lol, wut? No, trust me, they are nothing alike. Matheson can skate, Gudbranson can't really all that well. Matheson isn't overly physical, Gudbranson used to regularly make highlight reel hits that destroyed guys. Gudbranson had VERY limited skills offensively, Matheson can deke through most NHLers and gets very high quality shots off on a regular basis.

They're nothing alike.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #23
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the differences in our views here is that you're putting too much into the more noticeable, memorable elements of each player's game. That is, you're being influenced too much by Gudbranson's hitting in your assessment of him as a player, and the same goes for Matheson's skill plays. Based on those facts, you'd assume that Gudbranson has more defensive impact and less offensive / transition impact than he actually does, and Matheson has more offensive impact than he actually does. It's the same effect that makes people think PK Subban is a defensive liability because he has a bad habit of turning the puck over at inopportune times.

But to each his own. At the end of the day, they're both, at this point, reasonable second pairing guys. Paying 4.9 for one of those is a bit much, in my view, but not totally insane.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the differences in our views here is that you're putting too much into the more noticeable, memorable elements of each player's game. That is, you're being influenced too much by Gudbranson's hitting in your assessment of him as a player, and the same goes for Matheson's skill plays. Based on those facts, you'd assume that Gudbranson has more defensive impact and less offensive / transition impact than he actually does, and Matheson has more offensive impact than he actually does. It's the same effect that makes people think PK Subban is a defensive liability because he has a bad habit of turning the puck over at inopportune times.

But to each his own. At the end of the day, they're both, at this point, reasonable second pairing guys. Paying 4.9 for one of those is a bit much, in my view, but not totally insane.
*sigh* But the question asked about style of play or comparable type of player. That's not something you'll find on a spreadsheet my friend. I appreciate you boiling it down to the numbers, but that's not what's being discussed here.

Also, you only have one season to use for Matheson's data, and it was under Tom Rowe, a spectacularly bad coach. Last year is not representative of anyone who played for the Panthers. Even Jagr should have scored more goals than he ended up doing.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who said anything about spreadsheets?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #26
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who said anything about spreadsheets?
LOL, I know how you work. Come on now.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, you assume you do. Granted, you probably watch more Panthers games than I do. But I watch far more of them than most people.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #28
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, you assume you do. Granted, you probably watch more Panthers games than I do. But I watch far more of them than most people.
Ok Corsi, but you'll have to forgive me if I assume that NOBODY watches more than 1 Panthers game a year. They are rarely discussed in any hockey forum I've ever visited.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I probably won't watch them as much this year. But last year they were an interesting team with a lot of potential, and ultimately, hugely disappointing. Granted, they did lose Barkov, Bjugstad and Huberdeau for large chunks, but it was a bit of a train wreck... I probably watched 15-20 games. I don't remember them winning very many of them.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I probably won't watch them as much this year. But last year they were an interesting team with a lot of potential, and ultimately, hugely disappointing. Granted, they did lose Barkov, Bjugstad and Huberdeau for large chunks, but it was a bit of a train wreck... I probably watched 15-20 games. I don't remember them winning very many of them.
Hugely disappointing is an understatement. They got off to a slow start because of all the new guys they brought in, blamed Gallant for the start, fired him, replaced him with an idiot, and the rest of the year was a hot mess. Nobody knew what they were supposed to be doing on any given night. No coaching, no leadership, just guys trying to do their best to get through the year.

I'm excited about this year with Boughner. There's still some stuff to work on for this team, but they should be around the playoff picture again at least.