Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Setting up Wireless Network and Xbox 360

I have the wireless network adapter for my 360, and I'd like to set it up with my wireless network at home.

I've set up my network with WEP security and my laptop works fine, but when I try to get my xbox on line, the signal is intermittent (I'll log onto xbox live, but then the signal flashes and then dies).

I've used the same network key that I use to log on with my laptop. Do I need to use a different network key?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

What standard of WiFi are you using? 11b, 11g, 11n? You'll want at least an 11g network. Remember that if you connect an 11b device to an 11g or 11n network, the whole thing slows down to match the 11b specification. Point is, if you want to run your Xbox360 off the wireless, make sure everything connected to it is at least 11g.

Also, what is the signal strength on your laptop in the vicinity of the Xbox? You want it to be higher then 50-60% for any decent performance.

I've got my Xbox connected to the router via a cable. The rest of my computers are all on the wireless network. Works for me, but it's not the fastest setup.

To answer your question: You should be using the same WEP key as your laptop.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, you shouldn't be using WEP to begin with. Go WPA if you can.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
To be honest, you shouldn't be using WEP to begin with. Go WPA if you can.
This is true. That said, most devices only support WPA (personal on my router) rather then WPA2. I've had way to much trouble with WPA2 then was worth it.

It's also good to note that if you have a 11n network, using WEP will drop your speed to 11g.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I use WEP for everything and it works just fine. Speaking of Wireless N. I found absolutely no benefits to using it. In fact I found the signal integrity to be worse. It's then I decided to say screw it and just ran a wire to my PC..

But yeah, use the same key you'd use on your laptop, and set it to broadcast MIXED (B, and G) signals.

So far so good for me on my 360
SarichFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarichFan View Post
I use WEP for everything and it works just fine. Speaking of Wireless N. I found absolutely no benefits to using it. In fact I found the signal integrity to be worse. It's then I decided to say screw it and just ran a wire to my PC..
You wouldn't notice any benefits of a 11n network if you're using WEP because WEP isn't part of the spec. You're essentially running an 11g network.

I recently had a fight with my desktop over getting decent signal strength. It kept reading 25-33% despite my laptop being able to get over 70% in the same location. Turns out it was an old driver/software. Replacing the driver allowed the card to see 60-70% signal strength. I have no idea how this is possible, but it certainly helped speed up my connection.

edit: mind you, this was on rather cheap DLINK hardware. More expensive equipment would probably work better, but I'm a cheap SOB.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarichFan View Post

But yeah, use the same key you'd use on your laptop, and set it to broadcast MIXED (B, and G) signals.

So far so good for me on my 360
WEP is going to work fine, but it isn't as secure as WPA.

802.11N is still having issues with signal strength of any distance. The signal seems to degrade really quickly in most of the tests I've seen, and is highly dependant on the quality of the router and card, as well as drivers.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do you guys have any idea why I can only get an intermittent signal? Do I have to add my 360's Mac address in the list of allowed pc's?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPuck View Post
Do you guys have any idea why I can only get an intermittent signal? Do I have to add my 360's Mac address in the list of allowed pc's?
If you are filtering by MAC address, hell ya. That would probably go along way to explaining your poor connection. Your router will not allow any network device to connect to your wireless access point unless their MAC address is in the list.

MAC filtering is kinda useless as well anyways, anyone who wants into your system would easily be able to capture a MAC address and spoof it. Once you are on WPA, you can turn off MAC filtering. If you can find the option as well, disable the broadcasting of your network name (SSID I think it's called)

If you have a recent model router (or even an older one) dump your WEP as it is doing nothing for you and change everything over to WPA.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 02-12-2008 at 02:08 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
If you can find the option as well, disable the broadcasting of your network name (SSID I think it's called)
I would recommend against that. If you don't broadcast the SSID, your own devices may have trouble getting connected (or so I have read). And, of course, it doesn't make it any more secure. Anyone who wants to crack your network won't be foiled by you not broadcasting the SSID...

Some questions:

Is your XBOX reasonably close to the router? Or are there multiple walls/floors in between?

Have you tried changing the channel of the signal? Sometimes microwaves, cordless phones, and your neighbour's wireless network can cause interference.

Are you CERTAIN that you get some connectivity? If it looks like it tries to connect, then fails, it could be something like an incorrectly typed WEP key.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote