Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Blackberry choices

We are finally getting crack at work for the IT guys on the on-call rotation. The provider has already been determined for us (Rogers, but we get to choose our own model.

Basically we'll be using them to field emergency calls during off hours, and they'll double up as our PDA (duh). We'll also use them to connect in some manner to our network to fix (hopefully) a problem with a downed server or network equipment.

So I thought I would ask for recommendations from people who use, or have used blackberries. What do you guys/gals recommend?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So I thought I would ask for recommendations from people who use, or have used blackberries. What do you guys/gals recommend?
Not getting a Blackberry.

I'm not sure why I was so excited. Maybe because we don't have a BES here or because we're constantly badgered about data usage. Manually syncing your calendar and email is a pain in the ass. I haven't had a chance to do much surfing on the go or try the mapping services that are available because I fear the wrath of the office manager. Total wet blanket that guy.

Get an 8830 or the Curve. The Curve is less enterprisey and more consumery.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not having BES is fredr123's problem. The integration with Outlook Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes is the cats ass.

I'm quite liking the 8830 once you get used to the keys, which are a bit on the small size. Remember to use the corners of your thumbs and not the fleshy flat part and you'll be fine.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Not having BES is fredr123's problem. The integration with Outlook Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes is the cats ass.

I'm quite liking the 8830 once you get used to the keys, which are a bit on the small size. Remember to use the corners of your thumbs and not the fleshy flat part and you'll be fine.
1. BES would improve things dramatically.
2. I have roundish thumbs.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
We'll also use them to connect in some manner to our network to fix (hopefully) a problem with a downed server or network equipment.
Hmmm not so sure about what a BB can do for you here, it's more of a PDA than mobile PC. Then again, I've never explored Terminal options for a BB.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger Blackberry's I would choose the Curve hands down.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Hmmm not so sure about what a BB can do for you here, it's more of a PDA than mobile PC. Then again, I've never explored Terminal options for a BB.
We know we won't be able to rdp, but we can ssh. We were looking at a different device before but the company with the best plan... well I'm not sure what happened but they don't have a chance of getting our business.

Nonetheless I am leaning towards the curve.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sound like you might need some speed for this - isn't EV-DO on Telus/Bell faster than EDGE on Rogers?

Curve - 8830 are more or less the same. 8830 has the GSM chip in it to be a world phone. Curve has a camera I believe.

I'll warn you now that the much vaunted GPS on these is a pay service (at least on Bell). Funny how they don't mention that. Blackberry maps are free though.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

go into the store and take a look at the 8830 and the 8310...

I personally have both but i really like my world phone.. The curve is great as well but i like how much bigger the 8800 is..
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote