Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #2621
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I am so mad about this.

Not even a fellow American superstar coming to Calgary could change Tkachuk's mind? Brutal.

Here's my proposed framework:

- Tkachuk to St Louis for Parayko, Kyrou, 1st
-R. Andersson, Stl 1st, cgy 1st, prospect (1 of the top 3) for Eichel

Gaudreau-Eichel-Kyrou
Monahan-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick

Hanifin-Parayko
Valimaki-Tanev
Zadorov-Mackey

Markstrom
Vladar
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #2622
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Extremely concerning, as it speaks to the level of engagement of the players within the locker room. However, this is very unsurprising.

Team sports is all about trust, and Tkachuk trusting his teammates, in a team meeting he reached out to his players and said back me up, and they turned their back on him. I think Tkachuk knows what it takes to win, and now he sees this team as quite frankly a bunch of disinterested losers. Why would he play hard and get in the grill of the opposition if his teammates are not going to be there to support him whenever? Tkachuk wasn't buying into the indifferent complacency that has seeped into the core of the locker room, and has been doing everything in his power to drag his team into a fight, and time after time the team let him down. Boston supports Marchand through all of his complete insanity, Ducks supported Perry, Canucks teammates adored Burrows and Kesler. The milquetoast flames core couldn't be bothered to support the one player who was actually exciting to watch. Culture is incredibly hard to change, and Tkachuk is finding this out first hand, I don't blame him for wanting to leave and whatever team gets him will be absolutely thrilled with having him on their team.
And then the Flames allowed their Captain to be claimed for free... I mean I'm not laying it at Gio's feet, but has to be part of the culture change doesn't it?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #2623
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are probably going to get bent by St. louis though, they're thinking they can just get him for free in 2 years, or maybe for a 2 1st draft pick package as an OS.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #2624
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Matthew but it seems more and more lately that he talks a big game but doesn't back it up on the ice.

Gio is gone now and they have brought in new character guys that suit Sutters style. The leadership on this team is long overdue for a change over and if Matthew did let that puck flip turn him into a pouty baby all last year then it's time to let him go before next season.

I would be worried about the effect this would have on the team but with Darryl assuming the leadership role I hope that things are really changed for the better from here on out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #2625
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Tkachuk wants out I'm OK with a trade to St.louis, but only if it's the best return. I shop him around and take the best pkg period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #2626
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
We are probably going to get bent by St. louis though, they're thinking they can just get him for free in 2 years, or maybe for a 2 1st draft pick package as an OS.
Tkachuk doesn't have to go to St Louis and maybe he wants to go California or Florida or something.

I'd dump Backlund for whatever if he was part of the rift as well.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #2627
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I can see both sides
- Tkachuk causes a lot of chaos in some cases pokes the bear and wakes up the other team. And then doesn't rise to the challenge himself. I think there is validity in the concept of picking your fights
- But this is a team that collectively hasn't always had a good compete level particularly in important games.

So both elements are concerning.
I chalk it up to the fact that it was always a matter of time with Matthew as it was always likely he followed his father's footsteps with contract negotiations and playing for the Blues. I also think it takes a special locker room to be able to handle a player that draws a lot of attention to himself like Matthew and it appears the Flames may not be one of those locker rooms. If this rumor is true and Matthew is traded in the next year then I would hope the Senators are paying attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #2628
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just like how Buffalo wants to send Eichel out West, definitely send Tkachuk out East. Knowing Vegas though, they’ll some how acquire him.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #2629
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever it was that told Matt to chill out should be fired into the sun, no doubt. Doesn't matter who it was.

But the fact that Tkachuk gave up so easily and pouted means he should be having his ass hit the door too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #2630
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I can see both sides
- Tkachuk causes a lot of chaos in some cases pokes the bear and wakes up the other team. And then doesn't rise to the challenge himself. I think there is validity in the concept of picking your fights
- But this is a team that collectively hasn't always had a good compete level particularly in important games.

So both elements are concerning.
The team reaction concerns me way more. Tkachuck is a young emotional player. Having veteran guys and potentially even team management try to stifle his passion is unacceptable IMO. Sure, maybe guide him in picking his spots a bit better, but he was visibly a different player after the Muzzin incident. So it could be that the Flames once again were more concerned about being the NHL's nice guys rather than having the edge to be a winning team. If only Sutter were here at that point of the season.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #2631
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whoever it was that told Matt to chill out should be fired into the sun, no doubt. Doesn't matter who it was.

But the fact that Tkachuk gave up so easily and pouted means he should be having his ass hit the door too.
I get the feeling it was a collective thing with some players on the team.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #2632
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Right?? Thats actual months of pouting. Insane.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #2633
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
The team reaction concerns me way more. Tkachuck is a young emotional player. Having veteran guys and potentially even team management try to stifle his passion is unacceptable IMO. Sure, maybe guide him in picking his spots a bit better, but he was visibly a different player after the Muzzin incident. So it could be that the Flames once again were more concerned about being the NHL's nice guys rather than having the edge to be a winning team. If only Sutter were here at that point of the season.
Except “pick your spots better” is supposedly exactly what they said, not “don’t do it at all”.

Tkachuk’s so called “edge” wasn’t accomplishing squat. All he did was let other players, including Kassian, get in his head.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #2634
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
We can trade him wherever we want, or keep him.

Being able to get a player for free in two years doesn't really matter when those are two seasons you'd miss out on having the player for, two seasons where the player could change his mind, and two seasons where he could end up somewhere else and sign long term.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #2635
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really disappointing about Tkachuk. With Johnny still unsigned you have to wonder if it’s even in the best interests of the team to chase Eichel. Johnny could walk for a US team as well, and then the Flames fall right into the conversation for worst team in the league. Given the lack of leverage I wouldn’t expect anything more than Tarasenko one for one, and who even knows if he can play anymore.

This stinks.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #2636
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know, people calling him a pouty baby? I mean:

Team - hey Matt chill down, we can't keep up.
Matt - ok, I'll chill.

Team - hey why'd you chill?

Ugh
Insulted Other Member(s)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #2637
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except “pick your spots better” is supposedly exactly what they said, not “don’t do it at all”.

Tkachuk’s so called “edge” wasn’t accomplishing squat. All he did was let other players, including Kassian, get in his head.
And to let that turn into a season of pouting, childish. A kid having a tantrum after being told not to do something. If it’s true, he needs to grow up. Good riddance and ship him off.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #2638
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
I don't know, people calling him a pouty baby? I mean:

Team - hey Matt chill down, we can't keep up.
Matt - ok, I'll chill.

Team - hey why'd you chill?

Ugh
Chill doesn't mean to sandbag it for 4 months
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #2639
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Chill doesn't mean to sandbag it for 4 months
Fair enough.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #2640
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really didn't want to believe this Tkachuk rumour.

But it's just confirming to me, once again, the need for a rebuild

This team doesn't have what it takes to win. It actively dissuades showing emotion but then literally every player fails to show up for big games.

You can't tinker with this. Overpaying some UFAs and losing Gio isn't going to make things better.
Closed Thread