Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:06 AM   #2581
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving was also rumoured to be "very creative" this Summer, which would suggest the 3 way trades.

St. Louis is the obvious destination for Tkachuk, but they probably aren't giving the Flames what they want, which probably includes a 1st round pick and one of Kyrou or Thomas. Blues probably want to offload Tarasenko to the Flames, but he probably doesn't want to come to Calgary, which means, Treliving has to work another deal to move Tarasenko to a Russian friendly team. Maybe this is also why they went after Zadorov to try and increase the appeal of Calgary to Tarasenko.

You have to think if the Flames could get a two young pieces from the Blues, add in two young pieces from their own cupboards, that should meet the Sabres asking price.

But there's too many variables there and they all need to line up for this to work in favour of the Flames.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #2582
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the locker room has sucked for the last 6 years or so. It's why I am not sad Gio is gone.

Johnny and Monny had issues around going out and not being great with diet and commitment.

Now Tkachuk feels the team isn't supportive..

Loooch called the team out and said the mentality of some of the players is off.

The more we hear the more I think the rebuild option is best.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #2583
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess where there is smoke there's actually a backdraft Inferno.

Love Tkachuk but uhh, if he doesn't want to be here then ship him. IDGAF about RFA status or all that noise.

The Flames need player that want to be here.

And this further cements that it was clear as day at the end of season presser Chucky was done.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #2584
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes.

Can't just trade Tkachuk to STL for a haul and then flip that haul + to BUF for Eichel?

Geez

Very disappointing
Old 08-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #2585
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

let's not overreact to an unsubstantiated rumour
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #2586
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Thanks for the update TBull. The Tkachuk information can't be news to anyone. It was obvious from the puck toss on. I wonder how much value Tkachuk has around the league? He's a Liam Neeson player, coming with a specific set of skills, but he could be one of those players that does as much damage to your team as he does good. High risk player with an equally high risk contract. I would still take the rumored St. Louis deal that's on the table. We're better off with the depth, so long as we get Gaudreau and Eichel under contract for at least the next five years.
Unless there was something different reported since the rumours about Tkachuk wanting to play in St Louis began to make the rounds, there is no deal on the table. There has been speculation from bloggers and media types about what a deal between the Blues and Flames might look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #2587
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yikes.

Can't just trade Tkachuk to STL for a haul and then flip that haul + to BUF for Eichel?

Geez

Very disappointing

Let me check. *Turns on playstation*
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #2588
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, I'm not going to freak out at this rumour since it's really just Orange Julius level at this point.

But hypothetically, if this were the case. Would it not be easier to trade Tkatchuk to St. Louis for futures first, and then use those futures as part of a deal to Buffalo? Why does it have to be a 3 way trade (although I guess this way is an indirect 3 way trade as well).
Old 08-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #2589
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Can’t say I am surprised about this but it is disappointing. Move him in a deal for Eichel then and consider moving Lindholm back to the wing. Still really solid up the middle and likely have to give up less futures than the Monahan lead deal
To St. Louis: Tkachuk
To Calgary: Tarasenko, Kyrou, Perunovich, 1st in 2022

To Ottawa: Monahan
To Calgary: Brown, 2nd in 2022 (Ottawa has two picks)

To Buffalo: Dube, 2 x 1st in 2022, Conditional 1st in 2023, 2nd in 2022 (Ottawa's)
To Calgary: Eichel, conditional 2nd in 2023

The conditions being the number of games Eichel plays in 2021-22 post surgery. If he plays more than 60, then the Flames include the 2023 1st. If he plays between 40-60, the Flames include the 2023 1st, but the Sabres send back a 2nd in 2023. If he plays less than 40 games, the 2023 1st from Calgary and 2nd round from Buffalo are removed from the equation.

Gaudreau-Eichel-Tarasenko
Mangiapane-Lindholm-Kyrou
Brown-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick
Ritchie

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson
Valimaki-Welinski
Mackey-Perunovich

Markstrom
Vlader
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #2590
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Like I said, you don't have to believe me. I'm just passing along info I was told by someone close to management. I'll be pretty upset if we move Tkachuk but if all of this is true it makes a lot of sense.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #2591
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To Buffalo: Dube, 2 x 1st in 2022, Conditional 1st in 2023, 2nd in 2022 (Ottawa's)

The conditions being the number of games Eichel plays in 2021-22 post surgery. If he plays more than 60, then the Flames include the 2023 1st. If he plays between 40-60, the Flames include the 2023 1st, but the Sabres send back a 2nd in 2023. If he plays less than 40 games, the 2023 1st from Calgary and 2nd round from Buffalo are removed from the equation.

Brown-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick
Ritchie

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson
Valimaki-Welinski
Mackey-Perunovich

Markstrom
Vlader
I think that all makes sense. I think the hold up is on the Blues end who are probably playing hardball with the Flames knowing that Tkachuk wants to be in St. Louis. Bit of a conflict there with his dad working for that organization.

Flames can't trade him to other teams because they have to deal with the same RFA issue. I mean they can trade him to other teams, but they just won't give full value. The Tkachuks' are going to use all their leverage here.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #2592
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
That could backfire though. If one of those teams does want him he is in a situation he doesn't want to be. It worked out for Kadri when he did want to waive because he wanted to stay in Toronto, but he ended up getting traded anyhow even though he didn't want to. To be honest, a NTC doesn't mean you can' t be moved, it just means the player has a trade. I think Flames fans tend to harp on it a little more because of past incidents (Iginla, Kadri, etc).
The worst that can happen is he gets traded to Ottawa for 1-year and then he leaves as a UFA.

And let's be realistic, an Ottawa is not going to trade for a 1-year rental and see the player walk just so they get a worse draft pick. No rebuilding team would, at least not without the guarantee of an extension in place.

The risk is as close to zero as you can get.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #2593
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Brown-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick
Ritchie

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson
Valimaki-Welinski
Mackey-Perunovich

Markstrom
Vlader
That’s a pretty good lineup. Depending upon the health of Eichel and Tarasenko.

That’s the catch. If healthy it’s brilliant. If not you’re finishing last. Quite the gamble.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #2594
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best I think you could do from STL would be a retained Tarasenko, Kyrou and maybe a prospect or pick. Neighbors or a lotto protected 1st for example.

Especially since they know that's where he likely ends up when he's a UFA 2 years from now. They'd be paying to get him there 2 years sooner is all.

The other question would be, does Tarasenko's NTC get in the way of any possible deal?
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #2595
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think that all makes sense. I think the hold up is on the Blues end who are probably playing hardball with the Flames knowing that Tkachuk wants to be in St. Louis. Bit of a conflict there with his dad working for that organization.

Flames can't trade him to other teams because they have to deal with the same RFA issue. I mean they can trade him to other teams, but they just won't give full value. The Tkachuks' are going to use all their leverage here.
What's the conflict?

Chucky wants to go to St. Louis and his Dad works there. That's the opposite of a conflict. A conflict would be if his Dad worked for Calgary and Chucky wanted to go to St Louis, and his Dad was working behind the scenes in Calgary to help move his son.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #2596
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
let's not overreact to an unsubstantiated rumour
Disagree. Now is the perfect time to overreact to an unsubstantiated rumour.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #2597
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
What's the conflict?

Chucky wants to go to St. Louis and his Dad works there. That's the opposite of a conflict. A conflict would be if his Dad worked for Calgary and Chucky wanted to go to St Louis, and his Dad was working behind the scenes in Calgary to help move his son.
I think the conflict is is that St. Louis knows exactly the Flames situation and can't be downplayed for leverage at all because his Dad knows every last detail. Putting the Flames at a disadvantage.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #2598
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
What's the conflict?

I believe the conflict is that his dad can speak to him and it likely won’t be considered tampering… even though it’s entirely possible he could be giving Matthew advice on how to get out of Calgary and be communicating with the blues that he only wants to play for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #2599
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So what's the issue then?

Tkachuk over reacted to the team not coming to his defense and quit on the group?

Or ...

Leadership doesn't want the team's agitator to agitate?

Both are a huge concern, the second one won't be fixed by moving Tkachuk. But perhaps it's deep enough that keeping Tkachuk isn't an option.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #2600
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this is the last time the Flames take an RFA deal on a high profile player to within 1 season of him becoming a UFA.

All STL has to do is wait two more seasons and they know they will get to sign a 25 year old Matt Tkachuk at their leisure.

It's always something isn't it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread