Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #881
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
They're all useless. Bootcamps are useless. Get a MCS with a focus on Data Science.
HAHAHAHAHA Honestly, someone asking about bootcamps isn't going to be looking at completing a Masters in Computer Science any time soon.

And bootcamps aren't useless, the are a fine way to add knowledge but not a great way to get a job.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #882
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Bootcamps are a great way of adding skills to help you in you profession/industry but are not great for trying to make a career shift. At least when it comes to finding work in a different field.

They can also be beneficial in field-adjacent work. For example, you do writing for a marketing agency and want to shift to SEO specific work.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #883
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA Honestly, someone asking about bootcamps isn't going to be looking at completing a Masters in Computer Science any time soon.

And bootcamps aren't useless, the are a fine way to add knowledge but not a great way to get a job.
Sure, in the same way that reading a book or taking some online courses is a great way to add knowledge. Don't expect employers to go knocking down your door because you put those things on your LinkedIn resume.

emti asked if taking a bootcamp on Data Science is going to land him a job. Well, no it's not. Taking a MCS will give him a much, much better chance of landing him a job in Data Science. I wouldn't do a Bachelor's if he already has one.

Last edited by Shazam; 08-03-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #884
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate all of it! I am hesitant on the bootcamp as well just due to the mixed reviews that are all over the place for all of them.

I do have a finance degree from UBC and have a couple years of relevant work experience, but nothing data analysis/science specific. I was thinking of doing the bootcamp or SAIT program and then potentially applying to the Masters in Data Science program at UBC so perhaps that is the route I will look closer into.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emti For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #885
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

In your network, do you know anyone in that field? If so, seek them out for a conversation.

Have you identified businesses you feel would be good places for data science? Do you have connections who work at those companies, even in unrelated fields? Seek them out to give you contacts.

Come up with a well worded contact letter outlining your background, why you are interested in moving into data sciences and what your transferable skills are. Then ask for a meeting with your goal of a fact finding mission to determine next steps to develop your career.

You’re not asking them for a job, you’re asking them for information on how to develop your career. Your further prep work is to come up with really good questions to go over with them that will impress them and want them to help you.

That’s a lot of work! Yep. It is. Very few people put in that much work but I think it would be worth it. At minimum you find out if you really want to move into that career and you have made a bunch of good contacts to help you. You may find a good mentor, and you may find a company values your current skills and is impressed enough to take you on and help you grow.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #886
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Another interview tomorrow.

Now doing “homework” for the interview I had last week.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #887
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Job Seekers thread Mark 2

I am giving my CV a makeover. I just hit 41 (still no grey heck yeah!) and frankly never had to put much effort into a resume before.

What are your thoughts on a Hotmail account? I’ve been using that email forever so it’s just habit at this point. Is a Hotmail account saying something negative about me? Should I be using/make a new email account?

What about fonts. Comic Sans a no go still? I like New Times Roman myself but again, I might be sending a message I don’t want.

However, as it was put to me yesterday Hiring managers are like Crows, they like and are attracted to shiny things. So maybe I should look at a more “fun” modern font? I’m not fun enough to use comic sans though.

So far though I’ve been really focused on changing the message my resume conveys. I’m really working on the vocabulary and general content right now. Formatting is going to be my next big challenge. I’ve got a couple really nice examples that have given me a bit of inspiration. I am oddly excited to see what I can come up with now.

Last edited by Deviaant; 08-05-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #888
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

A CV is very different than a resume... in Canada about 99.548% of applications only want a resume. Don't forget your cover letter too.

Spend a LOT of time on your resume and, if your work industry seems to need it, your LinkedIn account too. You LI is not a copy/paste of your resume though.
Resumes must be short clear and concise and definitely action/results oriented.
Definitely get some colleagues and/or knowledgeable friends to give your resume a solid and honest review.
I FULLY agree on having a personal "business" email address that you keep separate from your social/friends email. In my case I went with gmail since it seems to integrate a little better IMO with my calendar, Google Meets (online video/audio), and other industry uses.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #889
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know if Hotmail on it’s own would be a flag but if your email was deviaant@ or some sort of nickname@ or something off colour then that likely isn’t going to help. Stick with basic fonts, they are standard for a reason.

There are lots of resume sources out there but I think the focus is on:
- automated keyword systems or HR rep to check the boxes between what they need and what you have,
- allowing anyone reading your resume to make a decision in 30 seconds or less connecting why you’d be a fit for the role and why they should keep reading instead of going to the next resume in their stack of 20 (or 200).

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #890
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
I am giving my CV a makeover. I just hit 41 (still no grey heck yeah!) and frankly never had to put much effort into a resume before.

What are your thoughts on a Hotmail account? I’ve been using that email forever so it’s just habit at this point. Is a Hotmail account saying something negative about me? Should I be using/make a new email account?

What about fonts. Comic Sans a no go still? I like New Times Roman myself but again, I might be sending a message I don’t want.

However, as it was put to me yesterday Hiring managers are like Crows, they like and are attracted to shiny things. So maybe I should look at a more “fun” modern font? I’m not fun enough to use comic sans though.

So far though I’ve been really focused on changing the message my resume conveys. I’m really working on the vocabulary and general content right now. Formatting is going to be my next big challenge. I’ve got a couple really nice examples that have given me a bit of inspiration. I am oddly excited to see what I can come up with now.
I don't know if most people would consider a hotmail account to be a negative, but personally if I see that, I assume the person is probably not very technically adept. So if your job is technical in any way I would recommend moving to a gmail account. Check this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/resumes/com...you_look_less/

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #891
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #892
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

What’s wrong with a Compaq?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #893
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

As an employer I can tell you straight up one of the first things I notice is someone’s email address. I’ve seen some real good ones too. Rollingcoal@hotmail.com being one of my favs.

If someone has taken the time to create their own domain and has an actual email address tied to it I automatically think the person is far more professional.

Louis_the_gardener_696969@hotmail.com type emails remind me of spammers.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #894
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A guilty pleasure when I was doing a lot of hiring was email addresses. So much going on with email 10-15 years ago.

What was weird is that there were a handful of women with sexualized email. I forget the exact emails, but they were like lusciouslips1985@hotmail or sexyderrierre100@yahoo, etc.

I wondered if these emails were done specifically for finding a job, as there was a certain type of manager that would respond to this type of email and would want this type of employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
As an employer I can tell you straight up one of the first things I notice is someone’s email address. I’ve seen some real good ones too. Rollingcoal@hotmail.com being one of my favs.

If someone has taken the time to create their own domain and has an actual email address tied to it I automatically think the person is far more professional.

Louis_the_gardener_696969@hotmail.com type emails remind me of spammers.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #895
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
A guilty pleasure when I was doing a lot of hiring was email addresses. So much going on with email 10-15 years ago.

What was weird is that there were a handful of women with sexualized email. I forget the exact emails, but they were like lusciouslips1985@hotmail or sexyderrierre100@yahoo, etc.

I wondered if these emails were done specifically for finding a job, as there was a certain type of manager that would respond to this type of email and would want this type of employee.
Lots of great comments here just on email addresses. I'll add...
- First.Lastname@gmail.com works well, or some variation of that, such as including YYC (unless you move) or even a professional designation. There can be no doubt then.
- Avoid mixing similar looking numbers and letters as they get really f'd up for many people... such as O and 0, and I and 1, q and g (in some fonts are indistinguishable)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #896
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Remember when there was that extension @home.com (I think it was for Rogers or Shaw customers)? Somebody emailed my work and their address was, justchillin@home.com. Unprofessional? Yes. Totally awesome, though? Also, yes.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #897
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Remember when there was that extension @home.com (I think it was for Rogers or Shaw customers)? Somebody emailed my work and their address was, justchillin@home.com. Unprofessional? Yes. Totally awesome, though? Also, yes.
I had a friend who was witty and made his email address bobisnot@home.com. But back then he was likely at home when checking his email.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #898
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Starting new contract tomorrow after a loooooong time without a solid income, although did have some sporadic contract work here and there. This is a 1-yr contract at least. Before starting I'm required to complete about 8 hours of onboarding (HSE, policy stuff, plus other setup). Way back 2-3 years ago I would have been paid for this time. Now it's just expected to do it for free.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #899
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
What’s wrong with a Compaq?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They don't exist anymore, so the point is that they are using ancient hardware.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:09 PM   #900
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They don't exist anymore, so the point is that they are using ancient hardware.

I should have used green.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post: