Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #1621
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The issue with the pistol procurement is it's quite obvious the project management office/Directorate of Land Requirements wrote the Statement of Requirement with the P320 in mind. In other words, we haven't learned to write the SoR based on need and not want and that invites complaints like we see with Rampart.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #1622
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What the F kind of plan is this?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/vetera...rger-1.5526694

Quote:
OTTAWA -- Afghan interpreters and Canadian veterans say the Immigration Department is failing Afghans who worked with Canada in the war-torn country, despite an announcement last week to fast-track their resettlement.
Rahim, who worked as an interpreter with Canadian soldiers via NATO in 2016-17 and whose full name is not being disclosed for safety reasons, says Taliban fighters burned his father's home to the ground on Monday in punishment for his service to coalition forces.
He is staying with relatives in Afghanistan and, like two other former interpreters The Canadian Press spoke with who are already in Canada, fears for the safety of his extended family as the Taliban seizes swaths of the country.

Quote:
Government officials have told him he must provide documentation of the destroyed home to prove his parents are under threat, he said, but the property is in a district now controlled by the Taliban and effectively inaccessible to those on the run.
On Wednesday the Immigration Department released an application form to be filled out within 72 hours, but veterans groups say it is not clear whether applicants' siblings, parents and extended family members under threat from the Taliban will be eligible for resettlement.
However, in an email sent to interpreters and obtained by The Canadian Press, the federal government said the program applies only to "Afghans who were integral to Canada's efforts in Afghanistan" and their family members.
Family members are defined as a spouse or common-law partner, child aged 21 or younger, or an adult child who "has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before attaining the age of 22."
"That's just not how the Taliban is drawing lines on who's included versus who's not," said Andrew Rusk, co-founder of advocacy group Not Left Behind.
"When you start thinking about these restrictions, these timelines and these barriers, you're putting a significant volume of lives at risk. And the moral leadership isn't coming from the government right now; it's coming from the veteran community, and that doesn't feel right," said Rusk, whose sister was Canada's first female soldier to die in comb

And putting a 72 hour window is unbelievably stupid. This is Afghanistan, not New York.

Quote:
Robin Rickards, a veteran who served three tours in Afghanistan between 2006 and 2010, said he and other current and former soldiers have been swamped with emails and phone calls for help with the newly released application from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Published in English, it requires up to 10 different document scans and demands Adobe Acrobat in a country with low literacy rates and patchy internet service.
"We are literally drowning," he said. "Had they contacted any of the individuals who were involved with this before they launched this, we could have guided them on how to structure an orderly process that wouldn't have created chaos on the ground."

"I have zero faith that this is going to work.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #1623
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What the F kind of plan is this?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/vetera...rger-1.5526694

And putting a 72 hour window is unbelievably stupid. This is Afghanistan, not New York.

What a ####ing embarrassment we are, this is mind bottling.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #1624
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Mulcair was on CTV news this morning. Just a summary

This is stupid and shows that the Beaurocrats are running the show not the Ministers, and they have no clue and no urgency

With a election writ probably being dropped very shortly, if stories come out of interpreters being murdered, its bad for the Liberals.

The American's are pulling out and pulling out the interpreters that they used and they still have active basis for now, why aren't we partnering with the Americans? Its 600 families, so its not a huge number.

For me, ask the American's for landing rights, use what we have in airlift capabilities. Bring troops in to go out and get and rescue families if need be.

But get them out!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:23 AM   #1625
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mulcair was on CTV news this morning. Just a summary

This is stupid and shows that the Beaurocrats are running the show not the Ministers, and they have no clue and no urgency

With a election writ probably being dropped very shortly, if stories come out of interpreters being murdered, its bad for the Liberals.

The American's are pulling out and pulling out the interpreters that they used and they still have active basis for now, why aren't we partnering with the Americans? Its 600 families, so its not a huge number.

For me, ask the American's for landing rights, use what we have in airlift capabilities. Bring troops in to go out and get and rescue families if need be.

But get them out!
#### it, why don't we just ask the US to take ours out as well. We can pay the costs associated. We can then send an Airbus down to the US to grab them.

Quote:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #1626
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
#### it, why don't we just ask the US to take ours out as well. We can pay the costs associated. We can then send an Airbus down to the US to grab them.
I agree with this. Though there are questions that have to be answered, but maybe they can be answered when these 600 families are safe.

1) Do we put them in a internment situation once they reach Canada and then do the paper worker and ascertain the validity of their claim.

2) If someone has forged documents to get on a plane, or a lie is discovered later do you send them back to Afghanistan.

But the process that the government wants to do is absolutely stupid. we've already had iirc a couple of interpreters that were caught, marched into the street and beheaded by the Taliban.

This government when its driven to do something in its interest moves fast. Look how quick WE got its money, or Bombardier, There was a contract to a Liberal supporter for PPE and he didn't have a factory to make it he contracted it out, but it took something like 3 days to get the contracts done.

Even the New York Times has picked up this story and compared what the Brits and Yanks are doing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/22/w...rs-canada.html

Old 08-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #1627
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Brown Cadillacs ?

Quote:
Old 08-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #1628
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

American military = F22
Canadian military = shoe (but only one)
Old 08-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #1629
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never met this Warrior, but I have buddies that were close to him.

By all accounts he was a soldier's soldier, the type of Warrior we all tried to be.

Aug 11/2008.

https://legionmagazine.com/en/2009/0...n_w1xV6MpXdcIQ

RIP

Quote:

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 08-12-2021 at 10:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #1630
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Paul Hellyer passed away. The DM under Pearson and the guy that oversaw the unification of the Army, Navy and Air Force. A idea that had a certain amount of merit when it came to things like procument and supply chains. But Hellyer took to insane levels and ripped the identity of of the Forces. If he would have stopped at sane levels he would have been a visionary.

He spent the later part of his life being labelled as the crazy UFO guy as he went from conference to conference and interview to interview talking about the existence of ET's

He was colorful, a bit crazy, and a visionary in a lot of ways.

RIP

Old 08-15-2021, 04:06 PM   #1631
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yep
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #1632
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1426932958561198088

https://globalnews.ca/news/8101455/c...n-vance-calls/

Quote:
Former chief of the defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance contacted one of the women at the heart of allegations against him multiple times before Global News reported them on Feb. 2, and advised her of the need to be “clear on our story, and that you stick to it.”
He also contacted her multiple times after publication.
Global News obtained recordings of three phone conversations between Vance and Maj. Kellie Brennan that took place on Feb. 1. According to these records, Vance told her he had been contacted by Global News about allegations that he said “could be life-changing for both of us in a bad way.”
He told her: “Change your number. Get a new phone.”
“If there is an allegation that we engaged in sexual relations while I was the CDS and you were in the military, that would be devastating. And so it’s a good thing we didn’t,” Vance said to Brennan.
“I just wanted to make certain that you’re clear on our story and that you stick to it.”
Vance said repeatedly through the calls that what he was describing was the truth.
“I will, you know, tell them the story that we’ve gone over today, which is, you know, the truth and — as I described it to you — and then, you know, see where they want to take it,” he told Brennan. “They may investigate, they may not.”

Quote:
According to the court documents, military police allege that between Feb. 1 and Feb. 3, Vance “did willfully attempt to obstruct the course of justice in a judicial proceeding by repeatedly contacting Mrs K.B. by phone and attempting to persuade her to make false statements about their past relationship to the Canadians Forces National Investigation Service, contrary to section 139(1) of the Criminal Code.”
The court documents do not indicate specifics of the allegation, or whether the phone call records obtained by Global New are among any of the evidence they weighed in the decision.
Vance repeatedly made other comments during the Feb. 1 phone calls with Brennan about the need to prepare for “scrutiny” and be “clear on our story.”
“What I do need to do, though, is make certain that you and I are square and that you’re prepared to be able to withstand any scrutiny,” he continued, before raising the prospect of an investigation by the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service.
“I doubt very much they’d bring charges, but I just wanted to take this — before the storm starts, I just wanted to make certain that you’re clear on our story and that you stick to it.”
Roughly two minutes later, he says again to Brennan: “I just want to make certain that you and I are square on the story.”

Quote:
Brennan identified herself as one of the women at the heart of the allegations against Vance in an interview with The West Block’s Mercedes Stephenson on Feb. 21.
In the interview, Brennan said that Vance called her “many times” following the initial report about the allegations.
“What did he say to you, Kellie?” Stephenson asked.
“Told me to lie,” Brennan said.
“What did he tell you to lie about?” Stephenson asked.
“Having sex. He first started telling me not to say anything about anything,” Brennan said.
“He gave me barriers when I could say what: that yes, I could say that we had a relationship in Gagetown; no, I couldn’t say that we had a relationship after that; that we were just friends.”
Brennan did not interject or contradict Vance’s comments during the calls on Feb. 1.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #1633
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fortin charged with one charge or sexual assault

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/dan...arge-1.6144315

going to be interesting that his arraignment is going to happen pretty much at the same time as his lawuit against the Federal Government.

Quote:
Prosecutors in Quebec have charged Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin with one count of sexual assault. The prosecution service confirmed the charge in a tweet Tuesday night.
The charge is believed to stem from an alleged incident that took place sometime between Jan. 1 and April 30 of 1988, according to his legal team.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...e-rollout.html

Quote:
Fortin said he was removed from his position as head of the COVID-19 vaccine rollout in May “on instruction” of federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu, and was told at the time he was under investigation “for some form of sexual misconduct” that was alleged to have occurred more than 30 years ago.
“I learned about the general nature of the allegation from a reporter shortly after I was released from my job,” he said.
It’s been previously reported that the acting chief of the defence staff, Gen. Wayne Eyre, made the decision to relieve Fortin of his duties as head of the vaccine rollout.
“As the acting chief of the defence staff told me, confirmed in his personal notes, the decision to remove me was the result of a political calculus,” Fortin said. “I just want to get back to work.”

Old 09-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #1634
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/tanks-ta...s-169508375113

Quote:
The PPCLI Foundation presents Tanks and Tacos. This is a fundraiser event for the treatment of occupational stress injury in conjunction with the "Into the Summit: For Mental Health and Wellness" charity event (https://rb.gy/ufc9tm).

The event includes complimentary tacos from Calgary's Anejo Restaurant, tank tours from armoured vehicle experts, and specialty tours inside the PPCLI artifact weapons vault.

Visitors must RSVP for the event in order to attend. Payments will be made at the door.

Admission:

$50 - General admission (Tanks and Tacos)

$75 - VIP tickets (Tanks, Tacos, and the artifact weapons vault)

Interested in Zipperheads

Odd the Strats arn't doing this.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #1635
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really military news but three Chinook helicopters just flew over our house in Evergreen heading NW. They were really low, shook the house. Pretty cool.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #1636
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Could be here could be in the Federal Government thread. US, UK and Australia announcing a defense and intelligence sharing group that Canada is not invited into, to deal with China.

The Trudeau government has taken no significant steps on Huawei and we probably haven't been seen as all that serious when it comes to defense and all that serious when it comes to the intelligence side of the game. New Zealand another 5 eyes member was left out as well.

Basically there will be information on China shared in this group that won't be shared with us.

Its what happens when your not seen as reliable by your allies, they build a new tree house and tell you to get lost.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...sharing-511877

Old 09-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #1637
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

What? This is about nuclear submarine technology, and primarily that. Are they creating a new intelligence layer on top of the Five Eyes?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #1638
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yes The submarine deal can almost be called a seperate deal as Austrailia is abandoning their original deal to build submarines with France for the Australian Navy instead buying American boats (I'm assuming Virginia Class)

The key part of this new pact is intelligence gathering and sharing especially around things like Cyber War etc. Normally the intelligence gathering would be done through 5 I's, but this is another layer that Canada won't be given access to.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #1639
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada being told to go sit and the kiddie table where they belong.

Sad state
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #1640
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
What? This is about nuclear submarine technology, and primarily that. Are they creating a new intelligence layer on top of the Five Eyes?
I gotta agree - this alliance seems like it's about sharing advanced defense technology..... when's the last time anyone used those words to describe the CAF?

This would be like showing up to a coffee and cars event showcasing the latest Rimac and Ferrari supercars in a 2001 Dodge Neon.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote