Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-31-2021, 04:43 AM   #81
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Any of you go to that 'Enchanted Forest?'

I highly recommend it. I never went as a kid, but I took my daughter there and that place is creepy as all hell. Its fantastic.

Its like an amusement park for children that was designed by space aliens who have never met a child.

I found it endlessly fascinating.

"Oh. Alright. I wonder why they thought this was a good idea..."

Its great! Definitely worth the price of admission.
The enchanted Forrest is terrible too. Hated it as a kid and hate it as an adult. Its just a part of the woods I grew up in and they stick stupid gnomes all over the place. ....

I grew up for the first part of my life 8n the prairies so when I visited my mother in bc the Forrest was cool and interesting and this was one of the first attractions she brought me too. It was cool only because I lived in #### all flatness but the next year when I ended up living in bc I though " cool mom. You paid too walk in yhe Forrest we could walk 8n on the otherwise of the fence for nothing.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:37 AM   #82
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, just something your mom told me about during pillowtalk time.
Your pillowtalk consists of discussions regarding children's theme parks? Super weird, bro.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #83
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Amusement Parks:

As a child: "Wheee"

Their Parents: "At least they're leaving me alone for a few minutes with only a slightly increased risk of dying and/or hepatitis."

As a childless adult: "What in the #### are you even doing here?"
When I was researching our family trip to Disneyworld, I discovered there’s an online sub-culture of childless adults who go to Disney parks 10+ times a year and blog and post reviews about it.

To each their own, and it’s pretty harmless as far as hobbies go. But it’s the sort of thing you’d never realize is a thing until you chance upon it on Youtube.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:27 AM   #84
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Any of you go to that 'Enchanted Forest?'

I highly recommend it. I never went as a kid, but I took my daughter there and that place is creepy as all hell. Its fantastic.

Its like an amusement park for children that was designed by space aliens who have never met a child.

I found it endlessly fascinating.

"Oh. Alright. I wonder why they thought this was a good idea..."

Its great! Definitely worth the price of admission.
I'm pretty sure Enchanted Forest is the place that would go through their parking lot in the 70s and put unsolicited bumper stickers on all the cars while people were in the park. That day was right up there with as angry as I ever saw my dad, his car was pretty much brand new and us kids begged him to stop in there on a trip to the Okanagan.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:21 AM   #85
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Calaway Park Threatens Legal Action Over TikTok Video

The original response in the comments by calaway, “hey, come try us out, free tickets” was perfect. Their social media person should get a raise. Can’t believe “Bob” would use that as a lure to instead have a threatening phone call. Just give the guy a pair of tickets.

What I always found interesting is Silverwood and Calaway basically started as the same park. They even had the exact same rollercoaster. Silverwood has grown very well as a theme park destination, calaway basically held as is. I remember seeing ads for Silverwood in Seattle. The market for a theme park here is basically only greater Calgary. At the end of the day it is what it is, and a nice option to have.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #86
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it be possible to, I don’t know, make Calaway Park not suck?

It seems to have existed for 40+ years with but one uninspiring corkscrew coaster - can we build something that’s actually thrilling, or do the winds coming off the mountains prevent us from doing anything past a certain height?
Old 07-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #87
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I'm pretty sure Enchanted Forest is the place that would go through their parking lot in the 70s and put unsolicited bumper stickers on all the cars while people were in the park. That day was right up there with as angry as I ever saw my dad, his car was pretty much brand new and us kids begged him to stop in there on a trip to the Okanagan.
I thought they got busted for doing that?

As I said, I never went as a child because every time we drove past and everyone wanted to stop all we got from my dad was:

"Hard No."

And so we continued. He was cheery and fun like that on road trips.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:29 AM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Took my 3-4 yr old son here and thought everything was fine. He’s 21 and still dreams about running through the forest finding little fairytale houses and being terrified.
Now thats a themepark! Traumatizing children for life!

I kind of want to buy it and just go to town.

And trust me, this is why the World is extremely fortunate that I am not obscenely wealthy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 11:34 AM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
The enchanted Forrest is terrible too. Hated it as a kid and hate it as an adult. Its just a part of the woods I grew up in and they stick stupid gnomes all over the place. .... you.could walk any hiking trail in revel smoke for free and get almost the same damn experience with out the gnomes you wanna punt.

I grew up for the first part of my life 8n the prairies so when I visited my mother in bc the Forrest was cool and interesting and this was one of the first attractions she brought me too. It was cool only because I lived in #### all flatness but the next year when I ended up living in bc I though " cool mom. You paid too walk in yhe Forrest we could walk 8n on the otherwise of the fence for nothing.
I am thanking this post for 2 reasons.

1. I am pretty certain you were a little drunk when you wrote it.

2. 'Gnomes you want to punt' legitimately made me laugh out loud...because you're right.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:44 AM   #90
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
....can we build something that’s actually thrilling...
We who?
Old 07-31-2021, 11:59 AM   #91
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Now thats a themepark! Traumatizing children for life!

I kind of want to buy it and just go to town.

And trust me, this is why the World is extremely fortunate that I am not obscenely wealthy.
He actually thought it was just a bad dream. Then I reminded him we went there. He was so relieved he still gives me side jokes about “The Forest”.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #92
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
From the video, the guy from calaway park seemed more interested in the kids statements about calaway park “going under”

I haven’t watched the video at issue but that could be a different can of worms.
I like imaging how much time Callaway Park's few white-collar employees must have spent on this. I'm imagining a meeting where they devise the 'free boat' giveaway, and then another meeting to plan out their messaging on the phone call.

Quote:

It seems to have existed for 40+ years with but one uninspiring corkscrew coaster - can we build something that’s actually thrilling, or do the winds coming off the mountains prevent us from doing anything past a certain height?
If that nearby commercial development (similar to CrossIron Mills) got going again it might drive some more traffic and justify a bit of investment (or year-round programming)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #93
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I like imaging how much time Callaway Park's few white-collar employees must have spent on this. I'm imagining a meeting where they devise the 'free boat' giveaway, and then another meeting to plan out their messaging on the phone call.

If that nearby commercial development (similar to CrossIron Mills) got going again it might drive some more traffic and justify a bit of investment (or year-round programming)
I'm pretty sure the folks who own Calaway are off swimming the buckets of money they got for selling that piece of land to that developer. After how much money they must be losing this year after giving out free seasons passes to everyone who had one last year I can't imagine spending money on new stuff at the park is high on their list.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #94
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
So some guy posted a TikTok video comparing the prices of Calaway Park and Canada's Wonderland. Calaway Park is $0.04 cheaper and you get about 32 different rides, compared to 200ish at Wonderland.

Anyway, the video goes viral on TikTok and Instagram so Calaway Park reaches out to this guy to get his contact info. Thinking he's going to get free tickets he gives it to them. They decide to call him and threaten legal action if he continues to defame the park. He records the conversation and posts it to YouTube.

It's not a good look for the park and it's hilarious how they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

As a side note, his mullet is pretty amazing.

Here's his TikTok video.

I had lots of great conversations with Callum as I was his Social Studies teacher and his mentor at Alternative High School a few years ago. He always made you think about different issues with interesting perspectives. He always had a dream of becoming famous.
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kootenayguy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #95
BlackRedGold25
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Staff discount?
BlackRedGold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackRedGold25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #96
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I always assumed the short summer season and Stampede kept it stunted. I don't have kids so haven't been in decades now but when I drive by I'm always shocked how it looks exactly the same, lol.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #97
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Honest question, how are there idiots on both sides?

One side pointed out that it’s the same pricing as Canada’s Wonderland, which is a far superior theme park, and the other asked for his phone number to offer free tickets and instead threatened to sue him.

Logically I guess you could assume the mullet guy may be an idiot, but how in this situation?

You don’t think it’s valid to compare similar things in different cities?
Yeah, it's not like we would ever compare bad things that we have that are also in other cities to make ourselves feel better. For sure not sports teams.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #98
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not 100% sure, but aside from the obvious weather/operating season disadvantages here, springbank airport is also just a stones throw away. Would not be surprised if that was another limiting factor on height.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #99
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I don't think Calaway sucks...it's actually a super fun place to go. Also, whoever planned their landscaping 40 years ago was a rockstar because it's a really pretty place now with mature trees everywhere. Back in the 90s and 80s you really did kind of feel like you were in the middle of a farmer's field. Definitely not anymore - I like going.

Maybe the rollercoaster is old, but does it really matter? There are always new kids coming up to enjoy it. The redone logjam is great, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:11 PM   #100
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole situation is hilariously stupid and makes me feel bad for Calaway Park.

Is Ocean Motion still there? What about that one where they strap you to the wall and spin you really quick?

I remember getting season passes with a friend of mine. Our parents would drop us off at open, and come get us at close.

…except for that one time there was a communication issue and both sides forgot about us so no one came to pick us up.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: