Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #21
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was in town this past weekend and I went by the comic shop and it was awesome to be in there (It's still a small comic shop and isn't anywhere as close to the ones in some bigger cities but it's good enough for me!) I told the guy that I was looking to jump back into things and wanted to start collecting a series and he pretty much said that now is the worst time to do that because of what's going to happen with the marvel universe. He said that the Avengers 2 movie and then Free Comic Book Day coming up is when I should look at jumping back in. Just wondering what you guys think about this.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #22
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Pretty awesome that a guy in a small shop like that was willing to turn away business (even if just temporarily) for your benefit.

Sounds like the kind of shop I would want to give my money to.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #23
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
So I was in town this past weekend and I went by the comic shop and it was awesome to be in there (It's still a small comic shop and isn't anywhere as close to the ones in some bigger cities but it's good enough for me!) I told the guy that I was looking to jump back into things and wanted to start collecting a series and he pretty much said that now is the worst time to do that because of what's going to happen with the marvel universe. He said that the Avengers 2 movie and then Free Comic Book Day coming up is when I should look at jumping back in. Just wondering what you guys think about this.
I was never big into reading comics as a kid but I've recently started picking up a few series and have found some pretty good stuff. I think it depends on what you're interested in because from what I've seen a lot of current runs can be found in trade collections. For instance, I've been reading Batman New 52 but I don't buy single issue comics. Instead I just wait for them to release a collection of issues in a volume. For a series like this you could easily catch up by grabbing the first 5 volumes.

As for Marvel characters, I know they've recently re-launched a number of series. What characters are you into? Apparently the new Daredevil by Mark Waid is really good. I recently picked up this Thor series:

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-God-Thund...god+of+thunder

I've heard good things about it and am looking forward to reading it soon. I've also head good things about the Miles Morales Spider-Man series as well as Superior Spider-Man.

I don't think it's a bad time to jump into a series.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 01-26-2015 at 09:41 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #24
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it was pretty awesome of the guy but he's known me for over 20 years and I've spent a lot more than I ever should have in that shop over time so he was cool about things.

As for what I'm into, it would have to marvel and for the most part I think Iron Man and Spidey were the 2 I followed the most for most of my life but I really enjoy when there is a series that includes the whole marvel universe (or at least a few different titles) like AVX. One of my favs was the infinity gauntlet seriese.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #25
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel is in a constant state of winding up and starting events, relaunching series and juggling creator arcs. I would say unless the series you want is about to ship its last issue or the last 2-3 issues of a long creator arc, there is no bad time to jump in.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #26
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting seeing threads unfold right now in some of the X-books. It seems like the writers may be seeing this as a time to really tip the current status quo on its head or break things even further before Secret Wars comes along to establish the new status quo.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's already some announcements coming out that hint at what things may look like during and after Secret Wars.

Brian Michael Bendis renewed his exclusivity deal with Marvel, and he'll be wrapping up his runs on both All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men in May, which is around the beginning of Secret Wars. No word yet on what additional books he may take on in the future, but FF is one of the speculated titles.

May also sees the launch of A-Force, a new Avengers book featuring an all female team (including She-Hulk, Dazzzler, Medusa, and some other characters I don't know) and will be written by G. Willow Wilson and Marguerite K. Bennett.

First A-Force image:

Spoiler!

With Bendis and Wilson now moving off ongoing X-Men titles, I'm curious to see which writers and creative talents land on whatever X-books come out during and after Secret Wars.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #28
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The New 52 is going to be replaced by The Kinda Sorta New 49, post Convergence.

http://comicsalliance.com/divergence...t-convergence/

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/06...ocus-diversity
Old 02-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #29
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
With Bendis and Wilson now moving off ongoing X-Men titles, I'm curious to see which writers and creative talents land on whatever X-books come out during and after Secret Wars.
Rumour is no more X-Books.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn you Wanda!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #31
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Rumour is no more X-Books.
There's just so many X-Men stories being incorporated into Secret Wars, I can't see how none of them make it through into continuing series when the dust settles. Age of Apocalypse, House of M, Days of Future Past, X-Men '92 (based on the animated series it looks like), and Old Man Logan were already confirmed to be in this. And now Inferno will also be there. You've got X-Men 2099, Ultimate X-Men, All New X-Men (from the Silver Age) and current X-Men also all being thrown in the mix. I mean, I suppose some weird Heroes Reborn thing where they all go away to save existence is possible, but I just don't see it actually happening.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #32
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
There's just so many X-Men stories being incorporated into Secret Wars, I can't see how none of them make it through into continuing series when the dust settles. Age of Apocalypse, House of M, Days of Future Past, X-Men '92 (based on the animated series it looks like), and Old Man Logan were already confirmed to be in this. And now Inferno will also be there. You've got X-Men 2099, Ultimate X-Men, All New X-Men (from the Silver Age) and current X-Men also all being thrown in the mix. I mean, I suppose some weird Heroes Reborn thing where they all go away to save existence is possible, but I just don't see it actually happening.
They might make it through, but they won't be "X-Men" and they won't be mutants. This has been on the docket for a while. Marvel is sick of giving Fox new characters and new storylines.

It seems unfathomable, I agree. But it seems like it's heading that way.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #33
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
They might make it through, but they won't be "X-Men" and they won't be mutants.
Unless they're somehow explicitly labeled Inhumans or Avengers when the dust settles, I don't see how that would change Fox's ability to continue to use the characters or be inspired by new stories - not being privy to the detailed licensing agreement, of course.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

X-Men have so many great stories to draw upon without even doing a reboot that it will take decades before they are in danger of running out.

I guess Marvel wants to play the long game.

I've been reading through the Infinity arcs on the Marvel unlimited site, very entertaining. I had not read much Marvel before Civil War (outside of X-Men), but this has me very excited for the next Avengers movies even if they are 4 years away.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #35
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Unless they're somehow explicitly labeled Inhumans or Avengers when the dust settles, I don't see how that would change Fox's ability to continue to use the characters or be inspired by new stories - not being privy to the detailed licensing agreement, of course.
They won't get the old characters back. They won't give them access to any new characters just because they're called "mutant" even if they have nothing to do with the X-Men.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #36
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just eager to see how it really shakes out in the comics, as opposed to the speculation we have now.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #37
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just eager to see how it really shakes out in the comics, as opposed to the speculation we have now.
Fair. Whatever Marvel does, I doubt they stay gone. In fact this gives pretty easy access to resurrecting Wolverine easily.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #38
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's interesting seeing threads unfold right now in some of the X-books. It seems like the writers may be seeing this as a time to really tip the current status quo on its head or break things even further before Secret Wars comes along to establish the new status quo.
Update: I'm a little disappointed at the latest turn of events in Uncanny X-Men. Hopefully Bendis can ramp it up a notch and give his runs on All-New and Uncanny a satisfying conclusion.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #39
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the last few unclassified parts of Battle World are to be revealed this week. From articles I've read, I think just about every region and associated book is known.

Hidden for image size
Spoiler!

The three classified areas of the map are 6, 14, and 19 on the image above. This article has some speculation on what might be in store for those areas, as well as a summary of titles announced to date.

http://comicsalliance.com/battleworl...et-wars-clues/
Old 03-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #40
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another month of Marvel solicitations means more pretty covers for Secret Wars from Alex Ross. That cover for issue 4 is especially awesome.

Spoiler!

The staggering number of tie-ins and new series will also be in full swing by June.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 03-17-2015 at 03:44 PM.