Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #3721
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, looking at a range of 10 IQ points is totally meaningless. It's a gross distortion of the data. Hey let's look down our noses at Mississippi! Their average IQ is about 5-6 points lower than the majority of the country! How stupid they are! But wait! Those dumb yokels in North Dakota have an average IQ of 103 compared to those idiots in California with their 95 average...

Considering how flawed IQ tests are to begin with, this is a pretty meaningless difference between states. Also, smaller states (population) will always skew a little higher in IQ compared to very large states. More data points means more regression to the mean.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #3722
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I doubt IQ scores would vary so much by state. Wouldn't it be closer to a standard deviation across all populations?
Only if you assume that IQ can't be natured and that it doesn't affect people's choice of residence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Considering how flawed IQ tests are to begin with, this is a pretty meaningless difference between states. Also, smaller states (population) will always skew a little higher in IQ compared to very large states. More data points means more regression to the mean.
Higher, or lower, except that your premise is flawed. If everyone in each state was included in this study, statistical noise would be irrelevant even for small states.

What could be relevant is sample size (rather than state population), but a study based on SAT-IQ correlation surely has enough data to again reach a high degree of precision. Accuracy could still be off due to systematic errors.

I, for one, am not surprised that Massachusetts (home to Harvard, MIT, etc.) and North Dakota (home to the Bakken Formation) would rank highly.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #3723
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Trump retweeting doctored videos again

https://twitter.com/user/status/1306084770300997632
People will say this isn't a big deal, but boy, how is a President doing this?
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #3724
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Because there is no accountability anymore. He can literally say and tweet whatever the #### he wants. There won't be any repercussions.

I'm actually surprised there aren't any leaked videos of him uttering the n-word left and right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #3725
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you been under a rock for the last four years?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #3726
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I know why twitter hasn't done it yet, but Trump should have been banned a long time ago. Just another platform for him and his followers to spread misinformation and lies.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #3727
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

His policies benefit them too much to actually care. Same with FB.

Any publicly traded company that does business anywhere in the world would gladly sell their fellow citizens into slavery if it meant a better quarterly report.

Encouraging a dictator is par for the course if it helps profits today!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #3728
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I know why twitter hasn't done it yet, but Trump should have been banned a long time ago. Just another platform for him and his followers to spread misinformation and lies.

I get why they feel somewhat obligated to keep the president on, but the rest of the Trumps? I don’t understand that at all.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #3729
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
His policies behavior benefits them too much to actually care. Same with FB.
Fixed. Trump's inane bullsh-t drives traffic to Twitter. That consumption drives advertising revenues.

To ban Trump would probably slightly increase traffic in the short-term as people flock to Twitter to shout their opinion into the digital abyss, but after the furor dies down, I bet a chunk of their traffic would go with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #3730
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Facebook has become the home of inane shysty rubbish anyway, I get daily ads for weird items for 60 or a 100 bucks that are clearly worth several thousand bucks, yesterday it was a for a back hoe, advertised for 149.99!!
Old 09-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #3731
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Rachel Bitecofer has updated her 2020 predictions for September. It is a long piece with detailed appendixes. I will try to highlight some sections when I have time to read it all, and I would like to hear what Iowa, Photon, New Era etc. think about her predictions.

She is very bullish now on a Biden win (99.5%) and the Dems winning the Senate (91.9%). I am somewhat optimistic, but not as enthusiastic as this.

The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same
That Said, The Introduction of a Revised Negative Partisanship Model Spices Things Up Considerably!

https://www.niskanencenter.org/bitec...tember-update/

Quote:
And what about the swing states? The refrain of “there’s the popular vote, and then there’s the Electoral College” has become like nails on a chalkboard for this analyst, not only because it is cliché AF, but also because it doesn’t mean what people think it does. Yes, it’s true that we don’t have a national election, we have 50 state elections, and that the presidency is decided by the Electoral College. And, it’s also true that the Democrat’s voter coalitions are not as evenly, or ideally, distributed as the Republican Party’s coalition. But, as was revealed in the 2018 midterms, Democrats did not need to win the popular vote by 11 points to retake the majority of the House of Representatives at just 23 seats. They won 40 seats at just over an 8 point margin. Likewise, there are some misconceptions as to how favorable the Electoral College currently is to the GOP, largely powered by the misunderstanding of exactly how Donald Trump won in 2016, and conversely, how Hillary Clinton lost.

Last edited by troutman; 09-16-2020 at 01:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #3732
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The funniest thing about this is that apparently, some people do not realize it is fake. Like come on, really? Can Trump supporters really be that dumb?
Old 09-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #3733
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully, you are also noticing how high a probability independent “leaners” have of voting for the candidate of the party they lean towards. Again, most independents are “leaners” and will admit when asked by pollsters that they “lean to the Democrats” or “lean to the Republicans.” These leaners are “closet” partisans– voting like their partisan counterparts and holding issue preferences that are similar to their partisan counterparts. And as you can see, as of June 2020- they are firmly heading to their partisan “homes” in vote choice and have modeled probabilities that are almost as strong as their partisan counterparts.

This suggests then, that many independents are not “persuadable.” For any campaign- using analytics that allows you to sort out the party “leaners” of the opposition party to avoid wasting resources on them (unless you are in a PVI +10 district (for the opposition) you do not need these voters to win and cannot convert them as these data clearly shows. Instead, finding your race’s “pure” independents, latent partisans (already registered partisans with “iffy” turnout), and registered new partisans and focusing your efforts on convincing them to show up is a dominant strategy in most “swing” contests.
Electoral College Predictions:
https://www.270towin.com/maps/niskan...ge-predictions
Quote:
September 15: Alaska moves from Safe Republican to Toss-up; Arizona and Florida from Leans to Likely Democratic; ME-2 from Toss-up to Likely Republican; Nevada and New Hampshire from Likely to Safe Democratic; South Carolina from Safe to Likely Republican.

Last edited by troutman; 09-16-2020 at 01:34 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #3734
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The funniest thing about this is that apparently, some people do not realize it is fake. Like come on, really? Can Trump supporters really be that dumb?
Uhm...I hate to break it to you, but. yes. Most certainly.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #3735
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We live in a province that elected Jason Kenney.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #3736
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
We live in a province that elected Jason Kenney.

Technically just his constituents are to blame for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #3737
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I thought that when I first watched. It’s so, so fake to the point of almost being obvious satire.

But then I realized Trump supporters will think that’s real, and if they do see a source contradicting it, they’ll assume the mainstream media were the ones who doctored it to protect Biden and his pedo ring.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #3738
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm amazed, frankly, that the Trump campaign hasn't started just circulating deepfakes of Biden saying awful things and trying to get them to catch on.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #3739
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I thought that when I first watched. It’s so, so fake to the point of almost being obvious satire.

But then I realized Trump supporters will think that’s real, and if they do see a source contradicting it, they’ll assume the mainstream media were the ones who doctored it to protect Biden and his pedo ring.
I just watched it, and at least (now?) there is a flag from twitter saying it is manipulated media.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #3740
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Rachel Bitecofer has updated her 2020 predictions for September. It is a long piece with detailed appendixes. I will try to highlight some sections when I have time to read it all, and I would like to hear what Iowa, Photon, New Era etc. think about her predictions.

She is very bullish now on a Biden win (99.5%) and the Dems winning the Senate (91.9%). I am somewhat optimistic, but not as enthusiastic as this.

The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same
That Said, The Introduction of a Revised Negative Partisanship Model Spices Things Up Considerably!

I kind of agree that the electoral college advantage to the GOP is not nearly what people make it.

All Biden needs to do is flip 3 states (PA,WI,MI) that have voted Democrat in every other presidential election since 1988, and all voted very blue in 2018. He does that, and Trump has no EC path.

It's a lot more comforting to count on states going back to their regular party choice after falling for false promises for one election.
Closed Thread