Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #2921
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, wow. America is beyond f****d up.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #2922
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Simpsons is freaky weird sometimes. From Homer Loves to Fly and D'oh's which aired in 2007. It was on tonight and I watched it cause what else do losers do on a Saturday night. I thought it was a new episode from this season. Homer talks to his life coach while trying to land a plane...

Quote:
I don't know anything about planes,
but I know about you Homer.

You have what made America great:

no understanding of the limits
of your power,

and a complete lack of concern
for what anyone thinks of you.

So you'll land that plane.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #2923
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Governor practically begging Trump to not show up in Wisconsin.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1300203394402070528
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #2924
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol, wow. America is beyond f****d up.
I used to get a little defensive when comments like this were made here. I wish I could find a reason to get defensive now. I just can't.

I think we have passed the point of no return. MIght as well just drop the United part out of the name of my country at this point.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #2925
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I used to get a little defensive when comments like this were made here. I wish I could find a reason to get defensive now. I just can't.

I think we have passed the point of no return. MIght as well just drop the United part out of the name of my country at this point.
You can blame the ossified and corrupt DNC and RNC and the media outlets that are their bag men.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #2926
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
What ads are the Democrats running? Without the Lincoln project it seems like there would be very few effective attack ads.
The main push for Democrats in terms of TV ads is about to begin...

Quote:
Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s campaign announced a $280 million fall advertising blitz on Wednesday, outlining plans for $220 million in television and $60 million in digital ads across 15 states in the lead-up to the November election.

The ad reservation, which will begin on Sept. 1, is by far the biggest of the 2020 race by either campaign and is a sign of the swift turnabout in Mr. Biden’s finances, as both small and large donors have rallied behind him since he became the presumptive Democratic nominee against President Trump.

Mr. Trump has reserved more than $145 million in television ads in 11 states starting after Labor Day; he has not announced the size of his digital reservations.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/u...biden-ads.html
Old 08-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #2927
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jim Gaffigan posted a follow-up to his Thursday night Twitter rant. It's long, so he put it on Facebook: https://t.co/vnRdGCBigx?amp=1

Quote:
So let’s set the stage. On the Thursday night I went on a twitter rant about the RNC and Trump. (I did) I must have been drunk? (I wasn’t) I was angry, cursing (I was) while tweeting out things that contradicted everything I stood for as a so-called “clean Catholic comedian” (I disagree). In reality, I’ve made jokes about Trump in my last three specials and have repeatedly expressed support for gay rights and Black Lives Matter on social media. Regardless of any of that I am perceived as apolitical. That is somewhat intentional. I learned early in my stand-up career people don’t want to hear about politics from me. I knew me talking politics wasn’t changing any minds and was only alienating half of the audience.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #2928
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the insanity continues. I'm sure this will end well.

https://www.nbcnews.com/msnbc/rachel...ic-ncna1238843

Quote:
Donald Trump already has access to some of the nation's preeminent voices on epidemiology, who are eager to provide the president with expert advice shaped by the latest and most accurate evidence.

But it was two weeks ago today when we learned Trump had something else in mind: Dr. Scott Atlas, a Fox News regular and a leading voice at a conservative think tank, had joined the White House team. There was no great mystery behind the decision: Atlas has pushed to re-open schools, downplayed the need for broader coronavirus testing, and criticized lockdowns intended to stop the pandemic's spread.

The neuroradiologist has "no expertise in public health or infectious disease mitigation," he hasn't practiced medicine in nearly a decade, and he's demonstrated a habit of echoing unscientific claims, but Atlas nevertheless had something more important: the capacity to tell the president what he wants to hear.

And now that Atlas is on Team Trump, what's he saying? The Washington Post reported today:

"One of President Trump's top medical advisers is urging the White House to embrace a controversial "herd immunity" strategy to combat the pandemic, which would entail allowing the coronavirus to spread through most of the population to quickly build resistance to the virus, while taking steps to protect those in nursing homes and other vulnerable populations, according to five people familiar with the discussions.

The administration has already begun to implement some policies along these lines, according to current and former officials as well as experts, particularly with regard to testing."

The chief proponent of this approach is, of course, Scott Atlas, who reportedly now speaks with Trump "almost every day" -- a benefit public-health officials do not have -- and who has "expanded his influence inside the White House by advocating policies that appeal to Trump's desire to move past the pandemic and get the economy going."

The Post added that it was earlier this summer when the president encouraged his staff "to find a new doctor who would argue an alternative point of view" that differed from Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious-disease official, and Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #2929
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
And the insanity continues. I'm sure this will end well.

https://www.nbcnews.com/msnbc/rachel...ic-ncna1238843
That would only kill 5-10MM Americans.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #2930
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default American Politics Thread: The Hunt for Blue November

Nvm
Old 08-31-2020, 09:09 AM   #2931
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
[TrumpMode]

Republicans or Democrats?

[/TrumpMode]
Well given that demographics for Republicans skew older I would say it's a bad bet for his base.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #2932
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is yet another example of a strategy being pulled from authoritarian playbook. Instead of surrounding yourself with experts in their fields, surround yourself with people who confirm your biases and will support what ever brain dead idea you believe is the appropriate course of action.

It is very discouraging to be in this country and see it melting down around you. The complete lack of leadership is appalling. Instead of finding commonalities that bring us together this administration reminds people of the things that make us different, and gin up ways to make us enemies of each other. Society is crumbling around us. Decency is a thing of the past. Steve Bannon must be grinning from ear-to-ear as this is exactly what he had hoped would happen when he was part of the administration. Trump may have got rid of Bannon, but he kept the car pointed over the cliff and has jammed the peddle to the metal. We are watching a state fail before our eyes at the hands of racists and ideologues.

Canada, please do not succumb to the same interests and ideals. You may think you are insulated, but many of the same issues are bubbling just beneath the surface up there. You may not recognize it (frog in pot of water) but the same extreme beliefs are working their way into Canadian society, and we can see that in issues discussed on this board. It scares me to think of the track Canada is on. Do not allow the same thing to happen there that is happening here.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #2933
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

We have lived here in California for over 20 years, my wife and I are actually entertaining the idea of moving to another country. Probably won't happen, as we love where we live, but the daily anger and division that is rotting this country is becoming to much, so we are starting to think about it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #2934
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It is yet another example of a strategy being pulled from authoritarian playbook. Instead of surrounding yourself with experts in their fields, surround yourself with people who confirm your biases and will support what ever brain dead idea you believe is the appropriate course of action.

It is very discouraging to be in this country and see it melting down around you. The complete lack of leadership is appalling. Instead of finding commonalities that bring us together this administration reminds people of the things that make us different, and gin up ways to make us enemies of each other. Society is crumbling around us. Decency is a thing of the past. Steve Bannon must be grinning from ear-to-ear as this is exactly what he had hoped would happen when he was part of the administration. Trump may have got rid of Bannon, but he kept the car pointed over the cliff and has jammed the peddle to the metal. We are watching a state fail before our eyes at the hands of racists and ideologues.

Canada, please do not succumb to the same interests and ideals. You may think you are insulated, but many of the same issues are bubbling just beneath the surface up there. You may not recognize it (frog in pot of water) but the same extreme beliefs are working their way into Canadian society, and we can see that in issues discussed on this board. It scares me to think of the track Canada is on. Do not allow the same thing to happen there that is happening here.
It's already happening, and I hate it. People have a narrative in their mind, and it's true no matter the evidence.

I literally lived in the USA under Obama and I've had Canadian Trump supporters try to convince me how things are so much better under Trump than Obama. When I tell them it was better under Obama, they retort with Obama it was lawlessness, Al Qaeda, high taxes and literal communism being shoved down our throats. The Holy Redeemer Trump has brought tranquility, greatness and low taxes to the US.

They believe what they want to believe. I hate that.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #2935
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lololololololol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1300415126986731524
Old 08-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #2936
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post

It's ok to get defensive when silly things are said about your country and your loved ones. Posters like direwolf make these inflammatory (not necessarily wrong) one liner statements about America and Americans and I have to count to 10 or risk getting banned ha ha.

The thing is, I get it. It looks bad down there. I would just say this, amidst all of the stoopid Americans doing ####ty American things there are good people and decent families raising children there. It is full of good folks that just want to go to work, raise families and give a better life to their kids. They have not gone past the tipping point.

Anyway, I wrote a much longer essay about this and then deleted it just now. Maybe let's save it for another day.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #2937
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

At least Trump's stupidity, narcissism, and his inability to hold any type of political relationships gets in his way. If he was actually Bannon, the country would be really headed to an evil place. GOP will actually try to find this candidate in 2024 or 2028, a more competent Trump.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #2938
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1300453818489090048
Old 08-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #2939
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good talk by Krystal this morning. Basically: we have let our political leaders trick us into hating and de-humanizing our fellow citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Can1Arnmo
Old 08-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #2940
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good points about the comment on leadership, but The Hill has to sneak in some good old Bernie Bros whining about him not getting on the ticket. Get the #### over it and grow the #### up. Many times we don't get what what we want in life, and we have to make due with the best options left to us. Your options are Trump or Biden. Which is most likely to address the issues that impacting you? Pick one. Staying home and not voting is actually a vote against your own interests, you bunch of snowflake ninnies. Not being engaged in the process is a guarantee your voice not being heard. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Again, grow up.

I also have to cringe at their critique of tribalism, but then make a shout out to "Risers" (their viewers) which is identifying a "special" tribe. Come on, you make yourselves such easy targets with this stuff.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread