Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Don't cheap out on photos, save money elsewhere
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
http://www.perspectiveye.com/

Gabe is a great guy and does some amazing work.
Agreed. And expensive.

This is who we chose - they're great people and a lot of fun to work with, engagement photos turned out fantastic and the wedding is next Friday:

http://www.francesfoto.com/

Also, a friend of mine in Calgary that does this as well:

http://www.mackphotography.ca/
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #23
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Easy for people to say don't scrimp on the photos, and I would agree. But if the money's not there, it's not there - not everyone has a magic wand to drum up the money for expensive photography.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine had a $400 Kijiji photographer take their wedding photos. You get what you pay for.

Some of the worst photography I've seen. Bad exposure, bad composition - pretty sure I could have done a better job.

Bride looked horrible in the photos, and that's the memory they'll have of their day forever. I guarantee she'll wish she had spend a few more bucks in 10 years time.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #25
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know how much he charges now. But glen co photography does some nice photos. but i am ib the same boat as others. Sold my kidney and went with Andras Schram this past Saturday lol. my friend is getting theirs done by perspective eyes in 3 weeks.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Meh, people are throwing money down the toilet when a wedding photography bill gets up into the thousands. Really, only one or two photos will ever be appropriate on your walls - especially as the years pass and photos of kids' milestones, vacations and other memories become as important as your wedding and need real estate on your walls and in your home.

Besides, nobody wants to see your wedding book of hundreds of photos of you and your wedding party in silly poses in front of dilapidated barns, in grassy fields or in black and white smoking cigars trying too hard to look cool. Personally, I'm a fan of more classic wedding photos from the previous 100 years than this latest trend in the past five or so years of having paparazzi capture every second of the day in an avalanche of 2000 photos.

Having said that, I'll say what I always say with weddings and fancy cars - if you're out of debt, caught up on your savings and have the money to spend on these "life extras," go nuts. This isn't something you should be going into debt for - young people have too many expenses in their 20s and 30s to bog themselves down with debt from a wedding.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #27
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Meh, people are throwing money down the toilet when a wedding photography bill gets up into the thousands. Really, only one or two photos will ever be appropriate on your walls - especially as the years pass and photos of kids' milestones, vacations and other memories become as important as your wedding and need real estate on your walls and in your home.

Besides, nobody wants to see your wedding book of hundreds of photos of you and your wedding party in silly poses in front of dilapidated barns, in grassy fields or in black and white smoking cigars trying too hard to look cool. Personally, I'm a fan of more classic wedding photos from the previous 100 years than this latest trend in the past five or so years of having paparazzi capture every second of the day in an avalanche of 2000 photos.

Having said that, I'll say what I always say with weddings and fancy cars - if you're out of debt, caught up on your savings and have the money to spend on these "life extras," go nuts. This isn't something you should be going into debt for - young people have too many expenses in their 20s and 30s to bog themselves down with debt from a wedding.
That's a great post.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #28
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

I agree with everything you said here. My fiance and I have no interest in splurging on things like this for our wedding. Neither of us really keep extensive amounts of photos around as it is (thanks facebook!) so like you said, 1 or 2 important photos are all we need from this. Weddings are expensive enough as it is.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spending $400 on a bad kijiji photog is stupid but a $4K wedding photo package is also un-purchasable to many people. I find with wedding photos, the point of diminishing return comes pretty quickly. If the focus is sharp and the colour are fine that's good enough for most people.

How many times can you look at a photo of a bride staring into the mirror fixing her ear ring and still be interested? It might be something you yearn for before the wedding but after than I bet you won't be interested in the new car smell of your wedding album for too long.

I know people who take hundreds of photos of their kids every month! So 20 years from now when the kid needs a slideshow of their childhood for their wedding, the parent has to wade through how many photos to get the good ones? You do the math.

Wedding photos are the same, just some good ones, probably not more than 50 from the wedding is enough.

Last edited by darklord700; 07-19-2011 at 11:10 AM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #30
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pick up a copy of the Herald or Sun. They hire professional photographers who are used to working quickly and in all types of different environments.

Look at the photos and take note of which photographers you like. Email them and make an offer. Although they won't be $400 cheap, they won't be $4000 expensive either.

However, with them not specifically being just a wedding photog, the clearer you are with exactly what shots you want... the better they will fit your vision for wedding photos.

Another downside is they likely won't do a nice printed album for you. It'll be a DVD or two of images.

Stuart Gradon, IMO, is a pretty decent photographer for the herald. I've used him to shoot a variety of things before.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #31
str8jkt
Draft Pick

My wife is a photographer. She just started weddings this year and as such is a little more affordable. She has currently shot 2 weddings this year already (with another 4 scheduled I believe).

Tons of experience with maternity, newborn, family, portrait and even boudoir.

Her website is located at www.timelesssnapshots.com

The boudoir site is located at www.unlacedphoto.com (NSFW)

She're pretty flexible with setting up a package that will work for whatever you need (photo booths, trash the dress, etc..), and she also always gives all full resolution digital images on a DVD for you to reprint or reproduce however you want.

I believe she throws in a free engagement shoot with all her wedding packages as well but she can answer questions better than me if you are interested.
str8jkt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to str8jkt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #32
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think photographers need to stop using flash for their websites.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
My Fiance and I are getting married Sept.3 and still need to find a photographer.

If anyone knows of someone who takes nice, classic photos for a reasonable price, please let me know.

PM or respond here.

Thanks in advance for your help!
http://www.weddingtelevision.ca/

impressivephotography.com

I also have a wedding film package available.

http://productivestormmedia.com
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #34
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I sent you a PM message but I thought I would put a message up here too. A good friend of mine does photography in a number of settings- one of which being weddings. If your still looking you can check his stuff out here:

http://www.dfeatherstonephotography....aphy/Home.html
Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #35
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Hey everyone, Thanks for the great feedback and recommendations. It truly is appreciated! If I havnt responded to some of you personally, I will shortly. This whole process is tough...

As for those comments about the budget and cheaping out... Its not that im cheaping, its whay i have to spend... Im in the military and busy paying off my future wifes education. Like Silver said, no point going into debt or more debt...

I understand what people are saying, especially the Kijiji comment. You get what you pay for. But also, if you dont do your research and find someone you can trust, it doesnt matter how much you spend, the photos could still look like crap.

Thanks again everyone!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
I think photographers need to stop using flash for their websites.
"Think" isn't a strong enough word. I feel bad for photographers that do it... they clearly have no idea how many people they alienate.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #37
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've seen some impressive work from SAIT photojournalism students. PM me if you want, and I can pass you some names along.

I'm probably going to go that route myself.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #38
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Pick up a copy of the Herald or Sun. They hire professional photographers who are used to working quickly and in all types of different environments.

Look at the photos and take note of which photographers you like. Email them and make an offer. Although they won't be $400 cheap, they won't be $4000 expensive either.

However, with them not specifically being just a wedding photog, the clearer you are with exactly what shots you want... the better they will fit your vision for wedding photos.

Another downside is they likely won't do a nice printed album for you. It'll be a DVD or two of images.

Stuart Gradon, IMO, is a pretty decent photographer for the herald. I've used him to shoot a variety of things before.

yes. My dad used to be a Sun photographer and although somewhat biased as he is my dad, he's done some of the best wedding photography I've seen. He's so used to working hard to get a great photo and he just knows how to get the great shots and has no problem with lighting/composition or unexpected things happening. When he started out he practically did weddings for nothing, he charges a bit more now - but if all you're looking for are well lit, crisp, good coloured photos of your wedding, wedding party, whole day - a photojournalist is actually a smart way to go. By removing the "wedding photographer" tag its a lot cheaper.

That said, there is something amazing about a really artistic photographer, if thats the style you are going for. Neeper's photographs are stunning and artistic. It all depends on what you want for the photos.
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #39
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate CP's help with this. Its a huge hurdle that has now been jumped. We are no longer in need of a photographer.

Thanks again to all of those who took their time to send me PM's and also provide feedback and insight in this thread.

Cheers!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote