Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #3101
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Any word on what Iran is planning? That's the other key.
They were originally exempt from the Algiers agreement. Chances are they are maxed out on production at the moment anyhow. Doubt we see a cut, but maybe a cap on their levels.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #3102
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not an oil guy but this can't be great news for Alberta oil.

Largest oil deposit ever found in U.S. discovered in Texas
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...exas/94013292/
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #3103
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I'm not an oil guy but this can't be great news for Alberta oil.

Largest oil deposit ever found in U.S. discovered in Texas
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...exas/94013292/
Those articles are mostly hype. Some areas might be economical right now, but I'd be surprised if the majority would be developed at $50. Plus our heavy doesn't compete with shale oil due to the make up of the refineries in the US. They built a lot of coking capacity to process heavy oil in the last decade expecting that the majority of feedstock going forward would be heavy oil.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #3104
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It still strengthens the price cap at around $50-60 right?

Thats still a blow to Calgary. I really doubt this city will avoid serious decline with a decade or more of $50-$60 oil.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #3105
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I would think it just gives the US more strength to get away from ME oil.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #3106
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

Thats still a blow to Calgary. I really doubt this city will avoid serious decline with a decade or more of $50-$60 oil.
Production in that area is forecast to grow by 300,000 bpd next year. They'll need more than $50-60 to significantly ramp up production.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #3107
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I disagree,

You will see a slow recovery to a new steady state at those prices. No Mega projects to drive a boom but steady measured sustaining production and debottlenecking and small expansion of existing facilities.

So if you consider sometime this year the bottom we will improve from here over the next decade. The big thing is business, personal and government spending need to be brought in line with the rest of the world instead of the magic bubble we lived in for the last 10 years.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #3108
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I disagree,

You will see a slow recovery to a new steady state at those prices. No Mega projects to drive a boom but steady measured sustaining production and debottlenecking and small expansion of existing facilities.

So if you consider sometime this year the bottom we will improve from here over the next decade. The big thing is business, personal and government spending need to be brought in line with the rest of the world instead of the magic bubble we lived in for the last 10 years.
Wouldn't that include a substantial decline for the city? Lots of Calgarians will not be able to find work under those conditions not just in Oil and Gas but the service industries, real estate (especially commercial) and construction will all be in decline.

Surely this city cannot sustain the population that moved here in the last 10 years with what will be left over? That's a significant chunk of the population. We had just crossed 1 million people 10 years ago.

Last edited by polak; 11-23-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #3109
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn't that include a substantial decline for the city? Lots of Calgarians will not be able to find work under those conditions not just in Oil and Gas but the service industries, real estate (especially commercial) and construction will all be in decline.

Surely this city cannot sustain the population that moved here in the last 10 years with what will be left over?
I think a lot of the affected population has left already so I don't see significant further decline. Companies will be rehiring over the next year slowly as sustaining production is developed. Our demographics are positive (young and child bearing). Commercial real estate and the associated construction jobs will be gone but even in the past year Calgary Metro grew negligibly so residential while slower will still exist.

If the question is will Calgary grow and be more vibrant going forward over the next decade using today as the bench mark the answer in my opinion is absolutely yes.

But if you use 2014 as the bench mark and say when will Calgary recover to that level of disposable income I would say never. Even if its terms of total economic activity we probably have 5 years to build back to that point spread across a lot more people.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #3110
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But when he makes sure they take all the oil, won't that make our oil kind of irrelevant?
Yeah but war takes oil so they'll use ours until they get theirs.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #3111
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think a lot of the affected population has left already so I don't see significant further decline. Companies will be rehiring over the next year slowly as sustaining production is developed. Our demographics are positive (young and child bearing). Commercial real estate and the associated construction jobs will be gone but even in the past year Calgary Metro grew negligibly so residential while slower will still exist.

If the question is will Calgary grow and be more vibrant going forward over the next decade using today as the bench mark the answer in my opinion is absolutely yes.

But if you use 2014 as the bench mark and say when will Calgary recover to that level of disposable income I would say never. Even if its terms of total economic activity we probably have 5 years to build back to that point spread across a lot more people.
I prefer your take over mine.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:23 AM   #3112
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Northern gateway decision is supposed to drop today
Have a strange weird feeling it's not gonna get approved.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #3113
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Northern gateway decision is supposed to drop today
Have a strange weird feeling it's not gonna get approved.
"More bribes research is needed..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #3114
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it will be approved either, and I am sure we're going to hear about how the Liberals hate Alberta and things like that. Truth is that NG has all kinds of problems though, and if it was approved it would be challenged in court for sure. I would spend my political capital elsewhere if I were in government, but that's just me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #3115
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Slava why do you hate Alberta
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #3116
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't think it will be approved either, and I am sure we're going to hear about how the Liberals hate Alberta and things like that. Truth is that NG has all kinds of problems though, and if it was approved it would be challenged in court for sure. I would spend my political capital elsewhere if I were in government, but that's just me.
It was a ####ty plan to begin with should have went to prince Rupert instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #3117
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I guess booth will be announced tomorrow
Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #3118
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is Line 3 even being grouped into the same conversation with Gateway. It's a freakin pipe replacement not a new greenfield pipeline. Sure it will double its capacity but still.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #3119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they can approve Line 3 and reject Northern gateway, thereby keeping everybody happy and mad at the same time.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #3120
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So they can approve Line 3 and reject Northern gateway, thereby keeping everybody happy and mad at the same time.
Totally expecting this. Heck, hoping for it. I'll take the extra 760kbpd of pipeline capacity and upgrade to carry dilbit.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post: