Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #1821
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't see an issue for Abramovich owning the club. Is he funneling money to Russia through Chelsea? What can he do to harm the west? Invite Boris Johnson to a game and blow the stadium up?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #1822
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I don't see an issue for Abramovich owning the club. Is he funneling money to Russia through Chelsea? What can he do to harm the west? Invite Boris Johnson to a game and blow the stadium up?
Well the issue is (as it has been for years) that they're effectively laundering money through them and it's "sports-washing".

And don't doubt for a second that sports-washing works. You buy a club, and now you have a legion of fans willing to argue and fight for you because they love the club. Basically as soon as Newcastle was purchased their LGBTQ supporters started making "concessions" about that issue...which is vile, but that's exactly how sports-washing works.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #1823
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the issue is (as it has been for years) that they're effectively laundering money through them and it's "sports-washing".

And don't doubt for a second that sports-washing works. You buy a club, and now you have a legion of fans willing to argue and fight for you because they love the club. Basically as soon as Newcastle was purchased their LGBTQ supporters started making "concessions" about that issue...which is vile, but that's exactly how sports-washing works.
Money laundering is a given, but what's the difference between a Russian owner compared to an Arab, American, British, or Asian owner?

Abramovich is being singled out only because he is Russian and Russia is doing some bad things right now...
Old 03-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #1824
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Money laundering is a given, but what's the difference between a Russian owner compared to an Arab, American, British, or Asian owner?

Abramovich is being singled out only because he is Russian and Russia is doing some bad things right now...
No, he's been a target for a long time, because it's effectively blood money. It's definitely not new. Same issue as with the Saudis and Newcastle. The thing is, supporters of the club have less of an issue. When the Saudis bought Newcastle you have people attending the games dressed up as Sheikhs and that kind of thing, which is pretty gross given the reputation of that regime.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #1825
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the Saudis, wonder if they just straight divest Newcastle to buy Chelsea instead. Surely they would rather have Chelsea even at 10x the cost.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #1826
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Speaking of the Saudis, wonder if they just straight divest Newcastle to buy Chelsea instead. Surely they would rather have Chelsea even at 10x the cost.
Other than the fact I was hoping Chelsea would end up cratered after this, that would be hilarious.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:30 PM   #1827
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Moreover, I have instructed my team to set up a charitable foundation where all net proceeds from the sale will be donated. The foundation will be for the benefit of all victims of the war in Ukraine. This includes providing critical funds towards the urgent and immediate needs of victims, as well as supporting the long-term work of recovery."
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/20...man-abramovich

I mean, hard to be cynical here. Good on him if he follows through with that.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #1828
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/20...man-abramovich

I mean, hard to be cynical here. Good on him if he follows through with that.
This is the thing though...I straight up dont trust or believe Abramovich. Never have and likely never will.

So it sounds great...but I'm skeptical.

Old Russian Proverb: "Trust but Verify"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #1829
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Sights set on riches and glory only to have it all snatched away? Would be the most Newcastle way for it to all play out.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #1830
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I mean he is being singled out as a Russian Oligarch with ties to Putin's inner-circle who is currently invading a sovereign country.

Also, sort of counter to my point, Abramovich has actually not been sanctioned yet. It doesnt sound the like UK is likely to at this point either. He has actually been singled out as not being sanctioned
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #1831
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gather we're all cheering for Boreham Wood tomorrow?

Not just because they're playing Everton but because thats a fantastic name for just about anything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 12:59 PM   #1832
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man Sportsnet is such a brutal service, no FA Cup game today unless you have World. I am so relieved that they didn't land the EPL rights, they are such an overpriced dinosaur in terms of their pricing and the access they provide to soccer. Would have been nice to take a glance at that game over lunch.

Unfortunately the FA Cup draw wasn't great for folks who like the cup drama and unpredictability, the big three all stayed split up and drew div 2 or lower table teams so looks like we'll have another competition with two of Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool in the final. Think everybody who doesn't cheer for those clubs was hoping 2 of them would draw each other
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 01:38 PM   #1833
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can United do Liverpool a solid this weekend??

Spurs then Everton and now United?

Dont let Spurs be the only ones who put up a fight!

Old 03-04-2022, 03:56 PM   #1834
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

don't hold your breath lol.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #1835
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
don't hold your breath lol.
Hah! My expectations are low.

Spurs got a win, Everton got cheated out of a draw, surely United could at least put up a fight!

Old 03-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #1836
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crystal Palace probably has a better chance beating Man City next week than United on Sunday...
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 12:25 PM   #1837
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...West Ham really made 'em work for that one. Win is a win though.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:31 PM   #1838
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look...I think we all know what needs to happen to make this a great season.

Lets get Liverpool to win the title while Everton get relegated and West Ham steals 4th.

Make it so!

Old 03-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #1839
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Look...I think we all know what needs to happen to make this a great season.

Lets get Liverpool to win the title while Everton get relegated and West Ham steals 4th.

Make it so!
That sounds fine, but hopefully West Ham is nowhere near 4th. And it'd be great if Chelsea gets sold to a hedge fund or something, who really runs them as a business.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #1840
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That sounds fine, but hopefully West Ham is nowhere near 4th. And it'd be great if Chelsea gets sold to a hedge fund or something, who really runs them as a business.
All clubs should be run that way. Really, Liverpool has shown that if you run a club well, have good people in charge of management and recruitment that you actually can run Clubs as a business and be successful.

Even Spurs to a degree have shown that as well, although they've faltered in some areas. They're not some Oligarch or Royal's toy.