Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #241
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 61 - Saturday, February 18, 1989 - Boston Bruins 4 at Calgary Flames 3

================================================== =======

bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #242
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Interesting to see how D. Sanderson had gone to the the league and PA ,as early as 84/85 looking to set up help for players with alcoholism.
But was "stonewalled" sad could have changed many lives in those days and the days to come.
and Cherry being Cherry
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #243
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
Another lost point revealed, this time for Killer. BL, any chance you have the game footage for this one? Would love to see the play in question. Surprised this was never fixed as the box score even had an assist to Gilmour on that Patterson goal.

Things like this make you wonder how many lost points there have been over the years. I specifically think to the '89 season and Mario finishing with 199 points. I'm sure at some point during the year he was probably robbed of a point that would have given him a nice even 200.

On a separate note, every time Wamsley plays I keep thinking we'll see him in his new mask. Or am I a year off? I feel like in every image I've seen of Gump playing for CGY he's always been in the Flames colored mask--but per this thread, every game he's played in so far, he's still wearing the white mask.
Ha, well it looks like I was a game off as it seems that Wamsley debuted his 'new' mask for this tilt against Boston.

Didn't realize there were Mark Hunter rumors floating around that season. I can't say I'm surprised as he never really seemed to fit in the CGY lineup. Again, I think he would have flourished in the Patterson role on that line with Killer and Mullen. Any ideas on what a possible return from Boston would have been? Probably a 1 for 1 swap. Janney? Glen Wesley? Randy Burridge?

Bruce Shoebottom is up there for one of the all-time great names in NHL history. If I remember he was big, mean and tough as nails but lacked any real hockey skill (ah, such is life in the NHL during the late 80s and early 90s).
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EastCoastFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #244
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 62 - Monday, February 20, 1989 - Washington Capitals 2 at Calgary Flames 6

================================================== =========

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #245
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Loving this bobbylouie. I am sure way more people are reading this than you think. I was only 11-12 when this season happened and I am surprised at how much I remember, but also how uch I have forgotten. For example, as a kid, I knew every pretty much every player in the NHL, knew their jersey numbers and stats. At restaurants I would quiz my parents (ugh, that must have been soooo annoying).

I do not remember Steve Guenette. Very strange since I really followed goalies.

Anyway, thanks so much for doing this. I look forward to reading every day!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #246
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Loving this bobbylouie. I am sure way more people are reading this than you think. I was only 11-12 when this season happened and I am surprised at how much I remember, but also how uch I have forgotten. For example, as a kid, I knew every pretty much every player in the NHL, knew their jersey numbers and stats. At restaurants I would quiz my parents (ugh, that must have been soooo annoying).

I would agree. The entire board is a bit quieter than normal (understandably so). Regarding Guenette: he's always sort of been an enigma to me as he was the 3rd stringer on a stacked team. I know he got some official GP with CGY in '90 and '91, I didn't realize he actually was called up and 'dressed' in '89. I've also never seen him in that mask above either. Sort of looks like the one Vernie wore in 93 and 94.
The Following User Says Thank You to EastCoastFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #247
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the game notes
1. Theoren Fleury has had his "you've made the team' moment- clearly a formality but worth noting

2. I really didn't remember how tight Lanny had left things 7 goals down with 18 games to go- he had to score at a 30+ pace to finish this out- pay attention James Neal!!!!!

3. Wow Flames 34-0-2 with the lead going into the 3rd. those kind of stats became commonplace in the 'dead puck' era..but I would think this was highly unusual in the 80s
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #248
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post

My friend and I would say he had the perfect name for a goalie because he's Good-in-net. Yeah... we were young and lame then too!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #249
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joel Otto’s 6’3” 201 lbs looked monstrous on the ice back then.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #250
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 63 - Wed., February 22, 1989 - Toronto Maple Leafs 4 at Calgary Flames 3 (OT)

================================================== ==============

The Following User Says Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #251
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Joel Otto’s 6’3” 201 lbs looked monstrous on the ice back then.
Wasn't he 6'4" and 220lbs?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #252
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at that game against the Leafs. Those pics make it all feel so old and ancient but I don't remember it looking that way at the time!

I just really remember seeing some Leafs fans in the building who were really obnoxious about their team winning in OT. It was an eye opener to me, who was living in myown little rose coloured world, that there was more than just Flames fans in Calgary. There certainly wasn't as many Leafs fans in the building back then as you would see today!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #253
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No idea we were after Kordic that year--sign o the times for sure. We really didn't need him the slightest as this squad was tough as nails. That had to light a fire under guys Hunter, Pep, Otto and Roberts when they heard rumors that Fletcher was looking for a 'Heavyweight'.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #254
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
No idea we were after Kordic that year--sign o the times for sure. We really didn't need him the slightest as this squad was tough as nails. That had to light a fire under guys Hunter, Pep, Otto and Roberts when they heard rumors that Fletcher was looking for a 'Heavyweight'.
the Leafs had acquired him earlier that year for Courtnall- a trade that made out toughest rival (hockey wise not physically) that year alot better. glad we didn't give Toronto an out there

interestingly the 2 names mentioned re: Kordic were Berezan (by trade) and Churla (implication they wanted to upgrade him) the 2 guys dealt for MacLellan- who wasn't the enforcer, but did give the team added useful size
Old 05-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #255
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 64 - Friday, February 24, 1989 - St. Louis Blues 3 at Calgary Flames 4

=================================================

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #256
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 65 - Sunday, February 26, 1989 - Calgary Flames 0 at Winnipeg Jets 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 05-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #257
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

the story about being down to 6 NHLers sans helmet, with MacT not being listed is an interesting one- he was wearing a helmet in 88-89 but took it back off the following year
Old 05-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #258
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
the story about being down to 6 NHLers sans helmet, with MacT not being listed is an interesting one- he was wearing a helmet in 88-89 but took it back off the following year
LOL. That was the first thing I said as well.

Also, Jerry Jones looks pretty much the same today as he does from that picture a few posts back.

Can some of the vets here (Looking at you Loooooob) chat about the injury to Gary Suter. I've brought this up a few times now (in this thread and others) but is it safe to say that at this point 3/4 of the way through the '89 season, that Suter was considered the best Dman on the team? In other words, was he considered more valuable than Chopper? I just feel like Gary Suter had an incredibly underrated career and we as Flames fans sort of forget about how great he actually was, sort of in the shadow of Chopper.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #259
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't know about now, because that naturally involves looking back at a whole career, but it's hard to say he was overlooked during this specific period. He was the starter in the all-star game in January and got the most fan votes of the three Flames' choices on the ballot.

In the previous season (1987-88) he finished 3rd in the Norris voting behind only Ray Bourque and Scott Stevens.

At the end of the 1988-89 season, he naturally suffered in the voting exactly because of this current injury that would eventually cause him to miss over a month.

It was after this season that you could make a strong case that he started to get taken for granted, but two things worked against him --- the Flames drifting back toward middle-of-the-pack status and MacInnis' gargantuan numbers.

My opinion - I would tend to agree overall that he was undervalued/appreciated and the Norris voting through the early 90s backs that up, but it wasn't the case during the two seasons around this (spoiler alert) Cup run.
People considered him the Flames' best defenseman.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #260
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 66 - Monday, February 27, 1989 - Philadelphia Flyers 3 at Calgary Flames 6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------