Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #441
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

ESPN graded it an A-.

Quote:
Where does he fit? The Flames make a very interesting signing here because Blake Coleman was one of the most interesting names available on the unrestricted free-agent market. Along with Barclay Goodrow and Yanni Gourde, he created a checking line in Tampa that helped the Lightning win two Stanley Cups in a row. And by "helped" we mean "was arguably the fifth-most important on-ice factor in those championship runs behind Andrei Vasilevskiy, Victor Hedman, Nikita Kucherov and Brayden Point."

But one of the reasons Coleman was so effective in that role is that he was a top-six talent cast on the checking line. Coleman was playing over 17 minutes per game in New Jersey before joining the Lightning, scoring at a 20 goals-per-season clip.

That's where one assumes the Flames will cast him: on the wing in their top six. He can play both wings. On a team with Johnny Gaudreau at left wing, that could mean Coleman slots in on the second line and Andrew Mangiapane slides down the lineup. More logically, it would be Coleman on right wing, where the next player on the depth chart behind Matthew Tkachuk is Dillon Dube. But Coleman also saw time at center for the Devils. He's a versatile player.

Does it make sense?
For the majority of this contract, absolutely.

Coleman is a dynamic offensive player who generates goal-scoring chances at a high rate, even when cast in a more defensive role. But he's also an elite defender and one of the best penalty killers in the NHL -- his 10 short-handed goals since 2016-17 were tied for fourth most among all players, as many as Patrice Bergeron scored. He joins a team that was 15th in the NHL on the penalty kill (80.2%).

This is a Darryl Sutter team. It's going to defend well. It's essential to have players who do it well and know how to generate offense from good defense. That's Coleman's forte.

Grade: A-minus. The AAV on this contract is actually pretty stunning. It's just under what many felt was going to be market value for Coleman, given the totality of his game and the two Stanley Cup rings he's collected in the past two years. The term on this contract is how they likely arrived at this AAV, and that's the trade-off. Coleman's best attribute is his speed. He turns 30 in November. Unless a player is a genetic marvel like Patrick Marleau, the legs are going to go at some point. But for now, it's a very solid addition to a team that was 20th in the NHL in goals per game (2.77) last season.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...ry-big-signing
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #442
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly sounds like the perfect second line right winger. Those advanced stats were incredible.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #443
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fancy stats look good and so does the eye test. If this is the same type of player we're getting, I'm excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ea0l7bq5Jc
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Camronius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #444
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He has a really good shot off the rush which is something we have been missing for some time.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #445
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
He has a really good shot off the rush which is something we have been missing for some time.
He skates hard and never gives up on a puck. His goals are mix of skill and grit. He's heavier than you would think and isn't scared to muck it up either. The more I watch him, the more I realize this is exactly the player we need. Him and Mange would be a terror for teams to play against.

He was a 1st liner in NJ and PK's a ton too so I could see him slotting in a number of different roles if we needed.

The only knock here is whether his style of play is something he can keep up with compared to his contract length.
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #446
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoic View Post
Ahhh, CP never fails to impress.

Congrats on keeping the CP culture alive!
A culture of logic and analysis?

Using total money and not annual cap hit was a pretty odd hill to die on. Not sure CP would be the only "community" head scratching that one.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #447
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Which is why I think he needs to play with Backlund. Monahan is too slow to play that sort of game.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #448
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Which is why I think he needs to play with Backlund. Monahan is too slow to play that sort of game.
Agreed, Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapaine would be a great line to do the heavy defensive lifting while putting up points at the same time like the 3M line did for so long.

Then you could also run Backlund-Coleman for your PK without scrambling your lines when it gets back to even strength.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #449
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was listening to NHL Network on Sirius this morning, as I actually had to drive into work today (GASP!), and they were interviewing Bruce Boudreau, discussing UFA signings.

Coleman was discussed.

The lack of knowledge was quite astounding.
They stated he was signed for "almost $6MM", and that is too high.
"At $1MM he makes sense, but at $6MM only getting 10 goals per year is going to be upsetting."

His worst year was 13 goals and that was his first full season. Every other year was 20+ (prorated last year).
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #450
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I was listening to NHL Network on Sirius this morning, as I actually had to drive into work today (GASP!), and they were interviewing Bruce Boudreau, discussing UFA signings.

Coleman was discussed.

"At $1MM he makes sense, but at $6MM only getting 10 goals per year is going to be upsetting."

His worst year was 13 goals and that was his first full season. Every other year was 20+ (prorated last year).
Boudreau said this?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #451
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see he is listed as a center, but most of the highlights seem to show him on the left wing. I was hoping he was a right wing as it would at least give him more time in the top 6.

Unless a trade is coming.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #452
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I see he is listed as a center, but most of the highlights seem to show him on the left wing. I was hoping he was a right wing as it would at least give him more time in the top 6.

Unless a trade is coming.
I believe yesterday Treliving mentioned Coleman prefers to play on his off-wing, RW.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #453
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe in Tampa he was mostly on the right side, but he also played LW and a bit of C there as well
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #454
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I believe in Tampa he was mostly on the right side, but he also played LW and a bit of C there as well

I don’t think he played C in Tampa, he took 14 faceoffs in the 2 seasons he was there

Lots in NJ a few years back. Didn’t do so well though, his highest FO % was 46

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 07-29-2021 at 10:15 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #455
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great signing. Two time cup winner, has speed, size and all this for less than $5M.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #456
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Hahaha, I forgot this was Blake Coleman chirping Phil Kessell a few years ago:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #457
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Coleman was discussed.

Hey Bruce is that Mustard on your tie? looks down POW!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #458
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Coleman was discussed.

I may have a clue why Bruce hasn't caught a new coaching gig.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #459
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Why would Coleman be playing on the 3rd line?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #460
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coleman carries the puck extremely well and shoots everything. I think it would be a mistake for him not to be playing with Johnny. I know that’s not a popular opinion but having a line of Johnny Sean and Blake allows a lot of flexibility for other lines.