Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #1261
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
In this imaginary scenario, pucks don't go in the corner... they go in the net, and usually, the goalie digs them out himself
Hee hee. I see you dream in technicolor too.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #1262
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
So Coleman goes into the Gaudreau corner. He must be one hell of a RW.
I think they'd have decent options. Tkachuk, Coleman, mangiapane, Lindholm, heck maybe Dube, all could be capable fits, depending on who's here.

After building around great wingers for decades, finally having an actual game breaking center... Please tell me we don't just start clamouring about wingers immediately.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #1263
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's speculation on the Sabres board from a reliable source that the Pegula's are looking to sell and trying to get the team salary as low as possible to make it more attractive. I was a bit dubious, but since then we've offloaded players for picks only, brought in the dirt cheap bad goalie tandem, only wanting futures for Eichel, not signing any bigger ticket FAs at all, etc... it seems to have some weight.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #1264
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not. Some of you want to get rid of the wrong guy. I'm not the one who thinks the RW can cover Gaudreau's corner.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #1265
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
...After building around great wingers for decades, finally having an actual game breaking center... Please tell me we don't just start clamouring about wingers immediately.
It is the CP way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #1266
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Friedman: Flames have begun extension talks with Gaudreau & Eichel speculation

So many reports have buffalo’s demands for eichel to be ridiculous. They must be asking for a package that would be representative of a player that has not gone public with a trade request, does not have a serious neck injury that could hinder him for the rest of his career, and put up more than two goals last year.

Hypothetically, what would that package look like from Calgary? I’m not saying that’s what they should pay - I’m just trying to guess the starting point that Buffalo is at in their demands.

Possibly something like this:

2 first round picks (unprotected)
Zary
Pelletier/Coronato
Mangiapane

Again, way too much to pay for an injured eichel. Here’s what I think is the max that the flames should be willing to do (and even then, it could be too much):

2 first round picks (both lottery protected)
Zary/Pelletier
Dube
Monahan - could possibly be traded for a former first round pick from the last 2-3 drafts if you found a third team that could be part of the trade.

I could be wrong but that offer could be the biggest haul of any trade for one player that any team has seen in years. Mostly because of the two first round picks - those have a ton of value in this league. The level of protection on those picks could also be negotiable (top 3 protection vs top 5 protection vs top 10 protection). While you likely will not get a superstar in any of these assets… you have 5 potential chances at top six forwards in that package cause any one of the picks and all of the prospects/players involved have top six potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 07-29-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #1267
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hee hee. I see you dream in technicolor too.
nope, it was your pipe dream
Old 07-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #1268
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
right so 5-6 months, not a year and a half.
That would complication free. 26% complication rate on any of these surgeries, based on the journal articles I've read, so keep that in mind.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #1269
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
nope, it was your pipe dream
Oh, so you're telling me that Gaudreau will go into the corner. Now, that's a pipe dream.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #1270
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
There's speculation on the Sabres board from a reliable source that the Pegula's are looking to sell and trying to get the team salary as low as possible to make it more attractive. I was a bit dubious, but since then we've offloaded players for picks only, brought in the dirt cheap bad goalie tandem, only wanting futures for Eichel, not signing any bigger ticket FAs at all, etc... it seems to have some weight.
God. The Pegulas really ruined the Sabers. I mean it's going to hurt a ton short term but it's going to be a godsend when they sell. Man did they ever do a number on that franchise.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #1271
Remember1989
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

Again, way too much to pay for an injured eichel. Here’s what I think is the max that the flames should be willing to do (and even then, it could be too much):

2 first round picks (both lottery protected)
Zary/Pelletier
Dube
Monahan - could possibly be traded for a former first round pick from the last 2-3 drafts if you found a third team that could be part of the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really want the Flames to get Eichel but everytime I see CP's proposals I immediately have imaginary buyer's remorse. I'd hate to lose Mangiapane and Dube (for some reason I overvalue Dube) and would rather give up our unknown quantities like a Zary. And max one first rounder with two such prospects.

Will be fascinating to see who gets him and for what.

Really, we simply need to conjure up the old Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau, and Marco Sturm style package here.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #1272
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I'm not sure what team with that much cap space would want to take on two years of Monny (without knowing what he looks like post surgery) and give up young assets.

You are talking about the Buffalo's and Arizona's of the world and they aren't doing that.

Monny could likely me moved for another player who's similar in cap hit and risk. Tarasenko comes to mind.
This always cracks me up. There's so much concern about Monahan's recovery and being able to reach the same level of play he was at, but the same posters who post this concern are just 100% on board with bringing in a guy that wants to have a surgery never performed on an NHL player, and the outcomes unknown. The risk of that $10M salary for the next five years doesn't scare people off, but the comparatively minor surgery that Monahan is recovering from is going to be a non-starter. We should be concerned about Monahan, but scared ####less over Eichel. His surgery get's screwed up, he's more worried about getting feeling back in his arms and not ever playing hockey again. The scales of magnitude here are way different.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #1273
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, so you're telling me that Gaudreau will go into the corner. Now, that's a pipe dream.
Why does he need to go into the corners? That's not his role.

That's like saying every other player on the Flames sucks because they can't do what Gaudreau does.

Markstrom sucks, because he doesn't go into the corners?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #1274
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Why does he need to go into the corners? That's not his role.

That's like saying every other player on the Flames sucks because they can't do what Gaudreau does.

Markstrom sucks, because he doesn't go into the corners?
Do you actually believe that?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #1275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you actually believe that?
Yea. I don't understand why you are getting up on this soapbox.

Sure it'd be nice to have 12 forwards like Iginla who do everything, but the reality is that teams are made of different roles and types of players.

I don't know why Gaudreau not going into corners is such a big deal for you.

He's an elite talent and generates pretty much all the offense on this team. When he doesn't put up points, this team usually loses.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #1276
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think anybody is telling you anything because nobody understands what your point is.

Gaudreau doesn't go hard into the corners... cool. Is that it? He somehow manages to get the puck off the forecheck anyway, with the Flames being the team that generated the most chances off the forecheck last year, so... what?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #1277
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
This always cracks me up. There's so much concern about Monahan's recovery and being able to reach the same level of play he was at, but the same posters who post this concern are just 100% on board with bringing in a guy that wants to have a surgery never performed on an NHL player, and the outcomes unknown. The risk of that $10M salary for the next five years doesn't scare people off, but the comparatively minor surgery that Monahan is recovering from is going to be a non-starter. We should be concerned about Monahan, but scared ####less over Eichel. His surgery get's screwed up, he's more worried about getting feeling back in his arms and not ever playing hockey again. The scales of magnitude here are way different.
Eichel is a franchise C, Monahan is not. Eichel has also not had multiple surgeries and is younger.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #1278
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Yea. I don't understand why you are getting up on this soapbox.

Sure it'd be nice to have 12 forwards like Iginla who do everything, but the reality is that teams are made of different roles and types of players.

I don't know why Gaudreau not going into corners is such a big deal for you.

He's an elite talent and generates pretty much all the offense on this team. When he doesn't put up points, this team usually loses.
What soapbox? You want to give away the farm without consideration of the consequences. It will be interesting to see if Sutter agrees with you.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #1279
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
So Coleman goes into the Gaudreau corner. He must be one hell of a RW.
I hear what you're saying but wingers don't have corners per say.

F1 goes to the puck ... that would be Coleman with his speed and doggedness.
F2 supports ... either one of Eichel or Gaudreau
F3 either overloads or stays high to protect against an odd man rush ... neither of Eichel or Gaudreau (1st line guys generally don't F3 that much, it's more F2+)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #1280
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would really help this team having JG going into the corner and getting destroyed by 6'3 defense and having him on the IR by game 5

If JG was 6 foot and 35 pounds heavier he would be a top 5 player in the league. The reality is he isnt

Flames fans always want players to be more then what they are instead of maximizing their strengths

I could argue management and coaching have been the same.

I want JG to play LESS D and blow the zone more. The best 4 months of this teams success was playing run and gun, and then people starting complaining about blown leads and that they need to play more D

Play to your strengths. Having JG in the corner getting pinned and worn down isnt going to benefit anyone
Closed Thread