Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #61
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I know that we all have to be mad at the idiot raging at the cops for whatever reason, but I'm still mad at the stunting moron who sent two new parents and their newborn child to hospital.
Yeah, between the driver that went through the window and the guy that was yelling at the cops, this seems like way too much anger is focussed on the one that is clearly lesser of two idiots in this situation.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #62
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Yeah, between the driver that went through the window and the guy that was yelling at the cops, this seems like way too much anger is focussed on the one that is clearly lesser of two idiots in this situation.
I mistakenly thought they were the same guy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #63
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I do not care for fried chicken (can't remember the last time I had KFC), I got lots of hair, and don't drive an SUV.
Look at this guy in denial over here.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #64
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Public shaming has always been an important method of correcting bad behaviour. It's literally how society has always operated. Does that moron deserve to lose his job or anything? Nah. Does he deserve to have his face plastered in public because he behaved like an entitled dickhead who felt that a minor inconvenience to him was more important than the health of three seriously injured people? Yup. Hopefully he's embarrassed about it, and hopefully it calms him down next time he finds a police emergency will cost him a few minutes of his life.

Yeah, I feel like maybe he just wasn't aware of what was going on. Maybe he would be a bit more sympathetic.

I know that whenever I am slowed down because police pulled over somebody at an inconvenient spot, there is a temptation to question the reasoning behind it - like could they have not gone to a parking lot or something?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #65
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
True, but there's not really much to say until we know the driver's name and how drunk/distracted they were. Also, the legal system will take care of her transgression.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #66
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, I feel like maybe he just wasn't aware of what was going on. Maybe he would be a bit more sympathetic.

I know that whenever I am slowed down because police pulled over somebody at an inconvenient spot, there is a temptation to question the reasoning behind it - like could they have not gone to a parking lot or something?
Maybe I am the weird one but I just assume when the police are blocking a road it's because they need to for their/someone else's safety or because there was no time to go off to the side.

I can't see ever being pissed because I can't get by and assume they are being jerks by not moving off the road.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #67
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Maybe I am the weird one but I just assume when the police are blocking a road it's because they need to for their/someone else's safety or because there was no time to go off to the side.

I can't see ever being pissed because I can't get by and assume they are being jerks by not moving off the road.

If a road is totally blocked, I can see. It's when people are pulled over, to presumably to be issued a ticket for a driving infraction, that I find frustrating. I guess the blame is mostly on the driver for picking where to stop. I think driver educaiton should be to pull over into a parking lot or a side street.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #68
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's totally normal to question it and think in your mind that it could be handled differently/better. Even to the point of frustration. However, that doesn't mean you get out of your car and swear at a cop repeatedly because you're frustrated. There is a line there, and I'm going to suggest 99% of people wouldn't cross it.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #69
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Okay, so I don’t really drive an SUV. But it’s a hatchback, close enough.
A hatchback is actually closer to a station wagon than a SUV.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #70
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If a road is totally blocked, I can see. It's when people are pulled over, to presumably to be issued a ticket for a driving infraction, that I find frustrating. I guess the blame is mostly on the driver for picking where to stop. I think driver education should be to pull over into a parking lot or a side street.
This. This is, according to the cops I know, the majority of the problem. You don't need to stop the second you see the red and blues in the background. You can drive a bit, just as long as you make it clear that you are aware that the lights are for you and that you are making an honest effort to stop safely. That also doesn't mean to take the cop on a 20 minute trip to 'find' a 'safe place' to stop.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #71
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This. This is, according to the cops I know, the majority of the problem. You don't need to stop the second you see the red and blues in the background. You can drive a bit, just as long as you make it clear that you are aware that the lights are for you and that you are making an honest effort to stop safely. That also doesn't mean to take the cop on a 20 minute trip to 'find' a 'safe place' to stop.
This is what they show in driver training how to do it safely, in way the police will respect.

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #72
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Case in point, two morons in a fender-bender on Deerfoot stop in the left lane to take pics.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #73
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Are we allowed to track him down, shame him mercilessly on social media, and hopefully get him fired from his job?

Because if so, here is his picture:

Spoiler!

Brutal. Likely not this guy’s best moment, but it would appear he didn’t break any laws and you’re calling for him to lose his job over an out of context episode? Weak.

YYC in LAX is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #74
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Brutal. Likely not this guy’s best moment, but it would appear he didn’t break any laws and you’re calling for him to lose his job over an out of context episode? Weak.
His other bad moment was when he bought that shirt.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #75
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I would never occur to me to go off on a cop like that. That guy is an entitled jackass.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #76
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
At the sake of exposing myself as missing the joke, what's wrong with SUV's?
They’re stupid. I’ve gone into greater detail before but my complaints mostly fell on deaf ears. I don’t mind having an unpopular opinion.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #77
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This. I’ve been pulled over for my share of speeding over the years.

I like pulling over at overpass merge shoulders. Away from highway traffic.
At night, interior light goes on. Ignition off. Drivers window down. Both hands on wheel.

I’ve had a cop, give me a warning and it was in part for helping make his job safer. Just the once though lol
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Above all else, do not jump out of the vehicle and run with your arms waving and shouting towards the police officer. Particularly not advisable in New Mexico, no matter how fast you are losing air from your left rear tire.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #79
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone reading this thread for the first time, start at the top. We just gotta cool our jets in general.
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #80
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
His other bad moment was when he bought that shirt.
I'll bet you $5 he was wearing either black socks and sandals or white socks almost to his knees with runners.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post: