Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default The Day of the Doctor

Is anyone going to the theatre to watch this or having parties? I'm not a big Doctor Who fan but I have some friends for whom today is bigger than their birthdays and Christmas put together.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched it. Would give it a 7.5/10. There are much better episodes out there.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't like that they retconned in another Doctor. I really wish that Eccelston had just agreed to comeback.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I still don't like that they retconned in another Doctor. I really wish that Eccelston had just agreed to comeback.
He was the main reason I really enjoyed that first season of the new series. It's too bad he didn't stay on, but I think he must have been onto bigger and better things.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For my money, Chris Eccleston was the least impressive of the three "new series" doctors. Maybe he just needed better writing than the first season had to offer, but I never thought he fit the mood of the rest of the series.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where were you nerds when I bumped the Doctor Who thread in the main OT forum last week?

As for the episode, I liked it and enjoyed it, but not as much as most fans. People on Gallifrey Base absolutely love it, and it is currently enjoying a 9.5/10 rating on IMDB (bound to go down of course, but still).

I just thought it was a bit scrambly. It was slowish at the beginning, then super fast at the end, which was fun, but confusing, even for someone like me who knows a ton about the show and its history (classic included).

Very cool to see DT in the role again, and there were some great nods to the show's history. I have to watch it a few more times before I can fully judge it though.

Loved seeing Capaldi btw, definitely a "squee" moment as they say over here.

Can't wait for the Xmas special!
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I can't enjoy watching the new iteration of the show until they get rid of Murray Gold (music composer). He makes the post 2005 series completely un-watchable for me unless it's on mute. I was happy when Russell T. Davies left as his writing and show direction were terrible. I've watched the first series of Matt Smith and stopped. I'll probably have to catch up with everything before I see this.

I watched Pertwee, Baker, Davison, Baker, and McCoy's entire runs by the time I was 12 years old so I guess I'm just an old-timer when it comes to the show.

I like John Hurt but yeah I'm disappointed they couldn't cut a deal with Eccleston or Paul McGann. It just brings back memories of the 5 Doctors where Tom Baker was a wax figure in promos and archive footage spliced into the final episode.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-24-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

McGann showed up in The Night of the Doctor, posted to the web a couple of weeks ago.

We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
McGann showed up in The Night of the Doctor, posted to the web a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting, I'm not going to spoil myself with that, I'll save it for when I catch up or find a way to watch the series without the godawful music of Gold.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just watched it again. There are better episodes of both the classic series and modern one. It was still entertaining enough. But there was no way it was going to live up the hype. Over a day later and I'm still annoyed we've added a retconned Doctor.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
For my money, Chris Eccleston was the least impressive of the three "new series" doctors. Maybe he just needed better writing than the first season had to offer, but I never thought he fit the mood of the rest of the series.
We'll never know. I really like Nine. But ya, his series had some not so good episodes. But so did Ten's. I'm thankful for Davies bringing back the show. But Moffat as showrunner has done wonders. In fact I'd say 85-90 percent of the outstanding episodes from the Ninth and Tenth Doctors were written by Moffat.

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 11-25-2013 at 09:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really liked Moffat when he was just a writer but as show runner.. getting real tired of his ####. He just can't leave things alone. I know it's a show about time travel but he just jumps around so much, it's a bit spastic.

I loved the idea of John Hurt at first but it wasn't needed. Paul McGann showed in that mini episode he could have done a great job. The whole idea behind that episode was lost during the special anyways, no? McGann became John Hurt/Warrior and all that seemed totally lost.

And of course Hack&Lube with his nostalgia.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

just because I never get to hear this song anymore

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I really liked Moffat when he was just a writer but as show runner.. getting real tired of his ####. He just can't leave things alone. I know it's a show about time travel but he just jumps around so much, it's a bit spastic.

I loved the idea of John Hurt at first but it wasn't needed. Paul McGann showed in that mini episode he could have done a great job. The whole idea behind that episode was lost during the special anyways, no? McGann became John Hurt/Warrior and all that seemed totally lost.

And of course Hack&Lube with his nostalgia.
I'm still waiting for an answer around the 12th regenerations rule. I knew they'd have to write themselves out of it, but they haven't even addressed it.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yeah, the Master ran out of regens in the classic series. The Doctor has gone over that now and along with "The Warrior", "The Valeyard" still is out there somewhere as another regeneration.

I haven't watched Day of the Doctor but just hearing about retconning in John Hurt as another Doctor is annoying. McGann would have been great in that episode.

I still love this Moffat work though:
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yeah, the Master ran out of regens in the classic series. The Doctor has gone over that now and along with "The Warrior", "The Valeyard" still is out there somewhere as another regeneration.

Which is fine, I get that the BBC needs Doctor Who, but just give me some kind of explanation. Even a crappy one would do. This isn't like a Klingon make up change which was better left ignored.

And lets just say the Master may or may not have a few more regens left. If you ever get around to watching modern Who. If you don't, well he just ended with Eric Roberts.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
And lets just say the Master may or may not have a few more regens left. If you ever get around to watching modern Who. If you don't, well he just ended with Eric Roberts.
Yes, I watched those episodes. Don't remind me. Horrible Disney soundtrack by Murray Gold and a giant planet who's gravity didn't destroy earth by it's proximity. Classic terrible writing by Russel T. Davis as always, even on his way out. A waste of good actors in Timothy Dalton and John Simm.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you're watching the wrong show if you're in it for the scientific accuracy.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
I think you're watching the wrong show if you're in it for the scientific accuracy.
I'm not in it for accuracy but the more subtle/creepy twilight zone type sci-fi/horror of the original series (plausibly hidden from the public or covered up by UNIT) and some of the new series. You had the feeling that Doctor Who's adventures could be happening in the real world, but on a scale which was hidden from you.

Russell T. Davies always did the opposite and loved series enders with ridiculous spectacles like having giant alien warships attacking London, giant robots smashing buildings in London, yearly Dalek/Cybermen/Sontaran invasions of London, a giant planet appearing beside earth, newscasters reporting panic in the streets, etc.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-26-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

(In River Song's voice) Spoilers

Thankfully as MMF pointed out Moffat can't leave anything alone and his first series bascually rebooted the world. And a year later The Doctor deleted all references to himself. Going underground as he had gotten "too big".

Tags
doctor who , geronimo , save the day , the day of the doctor