Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Thor: Dark World Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Just wanted to start a thread so we can avoid a bunch of spoilers in the recommendation thread.

I just want to say first off that I really liked the movie. It was a very earnest effort by everyone involved, and I thought for a Thor movie it was pretty great. Thor the character has never been all that compelling, and the comic series does not come close to matching the best out there. So really considering the best Thor has to offer would be an 8/10 compared to other series, I would say the same applies to the movies. It's always going to be difficult for Thor movies to top what can be done in Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, and even the Hulk if done right.

Even with this in mind I would still rate Dark World as the third best Marvel movie yet only behind Iron Man and The Avengers. It surpassed my expectations going in, and was far better than the mediocre effort that was Iron Man 3.

It sort of combined Star Trek with Game of Thrones, which was kind of awesome. Not everything worked of course, as they needed to compact a rather expansive plot into only two hours. Although I did actually love the comedic style the movie had, something that didn't work for me in Iron Man 3. Then of course there were some great performances from Hiddleston, Elba, and Skarsgård. Hemsworth fills Thor's Mjölnir nicely, and I even liked Eccleston as the villain. They kind of hamstrung Portman into the plot initially, but at least she didn't become a silly powerful character like Paltrow did in Iron Man.

I also quite liked the climax, and thought it was quite creative in what they were able to pull off. Even the cameo was far superior to the one in Iron Man 3. Also quite happy that they decided not to kill off Loki, as they need to keep Hiddleston in this series going forward.

Then of course there is the after credit sequence with The Collector. The last person I would trust with anything is Benico Del Toro, but at least this means we'll be getting Thanos soon enough (Avengers 3 I assume).

As usual some probably won't like the movie if they're sick of superhero movies. But Dark World was a mood nice change from the somewhat joyless entries of Wolverine and Man of Steel.

Really want to give the movie a 4.5, but I'll probably keep at as a 4 for now because of how they forced Portman into the battle in Asgard. Happy that they killed off Renee Russo though, never been a fan of hers.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

42% amongst Top Critics:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_the_dark_world/
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I may go see this some weekend soon. Maybe not though. Might just wait for the home release.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son (4 years old) wants to see this flick. I've subjected him to all the Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and even Hulk movies in the past.

Am I going to have to answer questions from the CPS about child abuse if I take my son to see this on an afternoon matinee?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
My son (4 years old) wants to see this flick. I've subjected him to all the Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and even Hulk movies in the past.

Am I going to have to answer questions from the CPS about child abuse if I take my son to see this on an afternoon matinee?
I'd say there's nothing too bad for kids. Many people do get killed, so if that's not what you want your kids to see then he might not enjoy it. It's all PG deaths though, and they only take the time to show one death.

My buddy said he's going to take his 10 year old daughter to go see it on the weekend, so it seems to be fine for some kids. I imagine your son won't understand a lot of it though, in case that'd be an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it was closer to the avengers than to the first thor movie in terms of quality and sense of humor.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big improvement over the first one, to be sure. Pretty much everything 'felt' right in this one.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was pleasantly surprised to see Chuck as Fandral.

Enjoyable, and yeah, Loki stole the show. I could watch an entire movie of him smirking.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised at the low reviews for this one, saw it yesterday and I liked it a lot more than the first Thor (which was good) and would have it up there with the best MCU movies so far

You can tell why they did reshoots to add more Loki to it as well, I never thought there would be a better fit than RDJ being Tony Stark, but Hiddleston as Loki is on par if not better

Last edited by d_phaneuf; 11-10-2013 at 08:48 AM.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I am surprised at the low reviews for this one, saw it yesterday and I liked it a lot more than the first Thor (which was good) and would have it up there with the best MCU movies so far

You can tell why they did reshoots to add more Loki to it as well, I never thought there would be a better fit than RDJ being Tony Stark, but Hiddleston as Loki is on par if not better
Yeah I don't understand it as well, but these are the same people who gave Iron Man 3 good reviews, and I think most people dislike that one. It's likely just that some people are tired of Marvel movies, but I don't think the general audience is yet. If you watched Roeper's review of Thor he says this movie shows Thor is not capable of doing his own movie, which is just a stupid comment to make.

I also wish people would stop complaining about other Avengers not showing up in these battles. That's a really stupid point to make, and they shouldn't need to waste any time explaining why they aren't going to show up. It's not like other characters show up in the comics the majority of the time, so why do they expect that here? Would it be realistic for them to show up, yeah maybe. But this is a friggen comic book movie, so you need a certain level of suspension of belief.

And yeah Hiddleston is pretty great, didn't realize they had to reshoot scenes to get him in, but that makes sense why you think about it. Definitely the perfect actor to play Loki.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The final scene (after the collector at the end of the credits) was a good payoff.
I was 1 of only 4 people left from a full house to see it though
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'Thor' Sequel Gets Boost from 'The Avengers'

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3751&p=.htm

Thor: The Dark World dominated the box office this weekend, though the god of thunder was unable to make it in to the elite club of superheroes who have opened a movie over $100 million.

Playing at 3,841 locations, the second follow-up to The Avengers opened to $85.7 million. That's up 30 percent on the first Thor's $65.7 million, and is also the best start yet for a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie that doesn't feature Iron Man. It is, of course, less than half of Iron Man 3's $174.1 million, though it's important to remember that Chris Hemsworth's Thor isn't even remotely as popular as Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark.

The Dark World
's 30 percent improvement over the first Thor can largely be attributed to The Avengers, which helped raise the profile of Thor and his evil brother Loki (who was featured prominently in this movie's marketing). In comparison, Iron Man 3's bump over Iron Man 2 was a bit better (36 percent), though it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Iron Man 3 benefited from the addition of 3D premiums, whereas Thor: The Dark World actually had less 3D attendance than the original Thor (39 percent vs. 60 percent). Ultimately, Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3 seem to have benefited equally from their connection to The Avengers.

We liked Thor - good comedy throughout. Asgard and the Bifrost Bridge look amazing. I like the Heimdall character.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
The final scene (after the collector at the end of the credits) was a good payoff.
I was 1 of only 4 people left from a full house to see it though
I didn't think it was worth waiting for.

Presumably we'll see Benicio Del Toro appear briefly in other Marvel movies until Avengers 3 collecting infinity stones so that Thanos can ultimately get his hands on them somehow.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Thought what they did to Skarsgard's character was pretty embarrassing. It was unnecessary and done only for cheap laughs. Hiddleston stole the show, again, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the way they brought him back. If you want to keep the character, stop killing him off before magically restoring them. Other than that, a good movie.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Thought what they did to Skarsgard's character was pretty embarrassing. It was unnecessary and done only for cheap laughs. Hiddleston stole the show, again, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the way they brought him back. If you want to keep the character, stop killing him off before magically restoring them. Other than that, a good movie.
Maybe Loki was never killed? He is an illusionist. He could have been playing Odin for a long time. What has he done with Odin?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Thought what they did to Skarsgard's character was pretty embarrassing. It was unnecessary and done only for cheap laughs.
Agree 100%. I was waiting for a good explanation for his behavior and unless I missed it there was none. It made no sense whatsoever.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Agree 100%. I was waiting for a good explanation for his behavior and unless I missed it there was none. It made no sense whatsoever.
He had a one-off line about having a god mess around with his head (from The Avengers), and they showed a lot of medications that he had supposedly been taking. Not that that makes it any more than a ploy for a cheap laugh.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Basically the idea was that having Loki and the tesseract in his mind controlling him was something that resulted in some... psychological trauma. Which is believable in principle, even if the actual manifestation they came up with was purely a gag. Barton recovered pretty quickly, but he's Hawkeye.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I hate that Thor doesn't ever wear his helmet in the new movies.

I read that Chris Hemsworth campaigned against it because it was hurting his nose in fights.

The helmet is iconic to the character and I don't care if it's the Ultimates universe. To me, it looks like Batman running around without a cape.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-14-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote