Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default MP3 Player suggestions?

I'm looking to get a new MP3 player. Not interested in an iPod though. Want at least 100 GB of storage and sound quality is the most important factor that I am looking for. Anyone have any suggestions? Been reading about the Cowon X7 but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Good luck, I dropped my Zune in the ocean last week and watched it get covered in salt water by the high tide. I searched for days and couldn't find anything that wasn't an Apple product and over 16 GB. Luckily 3 days in a bag of rice brought it back from the dead, and I put off joining the Dark Side for awhile longer. I wish you well!
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too,was looking on the net and I am stunned how few players there are out there with more than 16 gig.

Cnet lists iPods and zunes.

I have always liked Sony walkmans.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I still use my iRiver H140 with an upgraded HD to listen to lossless music. If you can track one down they have amazing sound.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
Good luck, I dropped my Zune in the ocean last week and watched it get covered in salt water by the high tide. I searched for days and couldn't find anything that wasn't an Apple product and over 16 GB. Luckily 3 days in a bag of rice brought it back from the dead, and I put off joining the Dark Side for awhile longer. I wish you well!
I had a Zune myself and loved it. Just died on me last month. What's this bag of rice trick?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I had a Zune myself and loved it. Just died on me last month. What's this bag of rice trick?
If it's fried because it got wet, rice (or another desiccant like silica) can potentially dry it out and restore it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bag of rice should suck all the moisture out of your device. Used this trick on dozens of blackberrys I supported that came back from the field after falling in the snow or puddle.

I saw a guy on the train with a Zune. Never saw one out in the wild before. It Looked fantastic...can't speak for the sound though.

Is there a specific reason you don't want an iPod touch 64gb? 64gbs of music is a lot. i havent updated my touch in months. A decent pair of headphones can improve the sound quality on the touch. I picked up a pair of $400 in ear noise canceling headphones last year on Boxing Day for $99 and the sound quality is significantly better than anything else I have used.

Ideally, something that plays flac files natively would be best for sound quality. I have to use an app to play flac files on my touch and media monkey to manage my flac files while everything else is in iTunes. Maybe flac will catch on with the masses and someone will see a market for building player specifically for that format. I haven't google it yet but there probably already is a product either out or on its way out.

I do wish apple had more competition. If that ever happens how screwed are people that have their entire music collection tied to iTunes drm?

Can anyone tell I had an espresso? Il shut up now.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
If that ever happens how screwed are people that have their entire music collection tied to iTunes drm?
That would be a totally relavent question had apple not dropped DRM on their music in the beginning of 2009.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 11-24-2012 at 12:26 AM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Woah where have I been? I just went and played a bunch of music I purchased from iTunes through vlc. I always thought they had to be played through iTunes or an I device that was an authorized computer. I won't be so hesitant to buy stuff from iTunes now.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read an article a while back that suggested that iTunes was the most valuable piece of apple.

I have two 160 gig classics for my vehicles, I opted for storage over flashiness of a touch.