Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #81
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
12 year hiatus? ... wtf
now that I think about it, it might be closer to 13 years. I went to the original location in Kensington once in 1999 and thought it was pure awesome, but too bad I didn't live closer. some time later I went back and the doors were locked shut. I banged my fists on them and wept bitter, pizza-less tears.

the new location is being run by the son of the original owner, and even though it's been nearly a decade and a half, the taste is exactly the same. it's basically a house next to Villa Firenze with 4-5 tables but it will fulfill all your thick crust pizza dreams. well, everyone's tastes are different so maybe it won't, but it most certainly does mine.

http://www.stromboliinn.com
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #82
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Are we talking actual Chicago deep dish (thin crust, upside down toppings, order before you get a table, burn the S%&* out of your mouth) pizza?

Well, there's this place opening soon:

http://www.bensonhurstpizza.com/

Whether or not it's actual Uno, Duo, Girodano's style deep dish or a square, doughy, topping filled Roman/Detroit style pizza that's called a Chicago deep dish remains to be seen.
Given that they haven't even hired the executive chef yet and experience in a pizzeria is an asset, not a requirement, I'm thinking it will not be authentic Chicago style pizza. But they have an appropriate hipster logo.

I've never had anything that resembled Chicago style deep dish pizza at any place claiming to have it in Canada. I have no idea why anyone bothers calling it that. I've had to resort to figuring out how to make it myself.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #84
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
Given that they haven't even hired the executive chef yet and experience in a pizzeria is an asset, not a requirement, I'm thinking it will not be authentic Chicago style pizza. But they have an appropriate hipster logo.

I've never had anything that resembled Chicago style deep dish pizza at any place claiming to have it in Canada. I have no idea why anyone bothers calling it that. I've had to resort to figuring out how to make it myself.
There is a place in Hamilton that is actually rather close to Chicago Deep Dish...at least it is the closest that I have found. It is called Chicago Style Pizza Shack.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #85
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't need to go out to eat pizza. I've got enough to eat at home.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #86
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon's Pizza in Douglasdale has a damn good deep dish.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #87
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Chicago Deep Dish
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #88
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I'm lovin this place lately.

http://www.crispycrust.ca/
Bumping this thread because this place is the best pizza I've had in Calgary in a long time. If you live in the south, it's worth it. A $20-$24 large easily fills two guys or probably a small family. You wouldn't think so, but it does. Awesome pizza. And I've picked up from both the old guy, and the young guy, and both times it was about the best pizza I've had since my buddy worked at a Mediterranean restaurant, and made me custom pizzas.

It's worth the drive to pick up, and one of their pizzas will fill you better than two of those cardboard pieces of crap from any of the chains.

This post might be a bit selfish. I'm hoping that lots of people order from there, to keep them in business. It seems like the good places go under because people don't understand that a single pizza made from good dough, with the proper amount of toppings and cheese, actually fills you up. Instead, they order from pizza70-crap, and get two crappy pizzas, and these gems go out of business.

If you live anywhere south west of 90th and Mcleod, you should be getting your pizza from Crispy Crust. It is definitely worth the drive.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #89
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I tried Crispy Crust in the summer and it rocked.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #90
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good to know. I'll have to give it a try and see if it can dethrone A Pizza Plus at the top of my list.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #91
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before it was Crispy Crust it was called Hot Spot Pizza, and it too was some of the best pizza I've ever had. Greek-style, with that nice herbaceous saucy and a fluffy crust.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote